Right rear suspension sounds like a bag of spanners... Literally!

Jon_w

Reaction score
Noticed a faint but annoying rattle yesterday that has now progressed an got louder today.

At first I thought it was the toolbox in the back, as that is exactly what it sounded like, but now removed that and been for a drive, and its definately only the right hand side rear suspension, and it does sound exactly like a cloth bag full of spanners being picked up then gently dropped again.

Doesn't happen too much on the big bumps (like speedbumps) but happens mostly over the icy bumps left over by the snowplough.

Any ideas? How can I check this. I've tried pushing on the suspension and bouncing on the boot, but can't replicate it when I'm close enough to hear exactly where it would be coming from. It does almost sound like its inside the car though.

Gonna try take the car to the local garage during lunch today, but before I do, anyone have any thoughts as to what it might be?

I have the exact same thing, sounds like a metal toolbox rattling from the rear right side.

Please keep us updated :thumbsup:

Could it be a broken spring or a knackered bush? there the things that normally give you a metal against metal sound unless the exhaust is banging and resonating on the body/floor

There are no obvious oil leaks on the snow after its been parked all day or night, and I don't think it is the exhaust, as it only happaens when then right rear wheel goes over uneven ground. I have to drive over a cobbled road that the snow plows can't scrape, so its loudest then (which would be both/all wheels bouncing around) but I'm pretty sure its only the right wheel that is making the sound.

Its in the garage at the moment, so will update when I know more.

This exact same thing happened to mine yesterday too. It was fine driving to work in the morning but then started on the way home. It also makes the noise when accelerating and slowing down.

Will be good to hear the response.

Why do garages never give you any good news!

Just got the car back from the garage, who said that the right rear spring had gone but was ok to drive (?). But they have obviously fiddled about with it, becasue instead of sounding like a toolbox sliding around when I drive over an uneven surface, it now sounds like an empty oil drum behind rolled down a hill every time the suspension is compressed. Its horrible!

To top it off, they all said the front disks and pads need replacing and the rear disks need replacing or the edge ground off. Will start another thread about brake life if I don't find one already, as that is ridiculous. I only had them replaced (disks and pads on all four wheels) about 8/9 months ago!!!

Sounds like they took the broken part out (prob just the bottom 'ring' of it). Is it an S3 you have? Their pads dont seem to last too long from what I've been reading. Also got to watch all the salt & crap that gets thrown up onto the discs at this time of year - makes a nice abrasive paste!

Think ill take mine to get checked this weekend. I wonder how much audi will charge for this!

Just was quoted 360 pounds for changing the rear springs. 190 parts and the rest labour. probably a bit cheaper in england though. Only one is broken, but best to change the pair. Got my MOT due in march, so will probably get it done next week or the week after and get everything out the way. Im annoyed about the brakes though, shame its all come at once, otherwise it would be a great excuse for big brake kit.

To top it off the local council have decided I'm now not allowed to drive to work as the city is too polluted. Apparently its too much NO2, (they blame our diesels), but to me it smells and looks like wood smoke, which makes more sense as its damn cold at the moment. So they have decided that cars with an odd number on the end of the number plate can drive on odd days, and even number on even dates. So after work tomorrow I have to pack my bags and go live in the countryside, as my office is in the middle of nowhere and I need the car to get there!

Last edited:
Just was quoted 360 pounds for changing the rear springs. 190 parts and the rest labour. probably a bit cheaper in england though. Only one is broken, but best to change the pair. Got my MOT due in march, so will probably get it done next week or the week after and get everything out the way. Im annoyed about the brakes though, shame its all come at once, otherwise it would be a great excuse for big brake kit.

To top it off the local council have decided I'm now not allowed to drive to work as the city is too polluted. Apparently its too much NO2, (they blame our diesels), but to me it smells and looks like wood smoke, which makes more sense as its damn cold at the moment. So they have decided that cars with an odd number on the end of the number plate can drive on odd days, and even number on even dates. So after work tomorrow I have to pack my bags and go live in the countryside, as my office is in the middle of nowhere and I need the car to get there!

I'm mechanically incompetent, and managed to change rear springs on a Scirocco (same setup) in about 20 mins. The labour charge should be minimal. As for replacing springs, worth seeing if anybody has any? Lots of people will have thrown away or would throw away nearly new springs when they fit lowering springs or coilovers. It could save a pile of cash. Main dealers always charge silly money for springs.

Thanks Pete, but where should I post a wanted ad, in classifieds or the just the main board?

I would also really like to get new suspension set-up, but have already destroyed one plastic sump shield with the standard s-line drop, so don't wanna risk going much lower and destroy the actual sump. Also heard than some of the lowering kits are fantastic on good roads, but really aren't on bad roads, unless you fork out a fair bit.

Just was quoted 360 pounds for changing the rear springs.
Good to see your dealers have a sense of humour too!

Looks like your government are as mad as ours!

Thanks Pete, but where should I post a wanted ad, in classifieds or the just the main board?

I would also really like to get new suspension set-up, but have already destroyed one plastic sump shield with the standard s-line drop, so don't wanna risk going much lower and destroy the actual sump. Also heard than some of the lowering kits are fantastic on good roads, but really aren't on bad roads, unless you fork out a fair bit.

Rather than spend money on replacement Audi springs, a set of Eibach's would be worth considering. They offer better ride than S-Line, but would only be a few mm lower, so wouldn't make much difference for clearance.

If you go down the OE route, if you let us all know what spec your car is, hopefully somebody with some springs gathering dust will be able to help. £200 for a pair of new springs is crazy!

It's interesting reading this, as I have noticed in the last couple of days something exactly like this in my car, too. Rear of the car on the drivers side. I don't notice it so much whilst driving along or even going over bumps, it's most noticeable from stand-still or at slow speeds. I barely have to move for something to sound like in clunking about in the boot (which it isn't). I really can't work it out and it's ****** annoying - I hate squeeks and rattles!

If it is the spring as mentioned above then that's not too bad for me as I've just taken delivery of a new set of H&R 35mm springs. However, surely the springs should not be failing on a four year old car with 35,000 miles?

If I identify the issue I'll update this thread.

Mines a 2005 too. I guess that anything can fail a anytime, and its only when it starts to be a larger percentage failing at the same time, then its considered a problem.

Still haven't decided what to do about it yet though. Lowering spings (only want another 5-10mm) or OEM. Driving to the mountians on saturday was crazy though, had the back sliding out all the time. It may be fun when you mean to do it, but when you can't help it, its not too much fun.

Oddly, mine has now stopped making a noise whilst I haven't done anything to the car yet... Still, the new springs will be going on shortly so I'll update the thread with any news regarding the existing, original, springs.

I'm not sure what prices are like in Norway but i got my H&R springs from the following company (a recommendation from this site) and the service was great:

http://www.orange-tuning.de/shop/index.php?language=en&osCsid=2a43e4c9fae7abb68463acfda4435b9f

Shipping to the UK wasn't much so they may be worth a look if you do replace your current springs.

I too have noticed an odd noise coming from the rear wheels, sounds like something hitting off the metal dust cover around the rear discs,
only happens at slow speeds from a stand still
give the gas pedal a quick blast and all sounds dissapear