Vibration at high speed ....thought's anyone

10blazin

HYPERDRIVE NEEDED
Reaction score
Hi guys Ive had a vibration in my car at 70 plus mph coming more from the front , Under warranty Audi replaced the prop shaft . dunno why they said there was a fault with it ?

Also Audi said the CV joint on the left was knackered so Ive had it repaired , and Audi said it isn't the wheel bearing's so I'm kinda puzzled , Me and a friend took it out tonight on the motorway and the vibration starts at 70 mph and just stays vibrating as i get faster , we've ruled out warped discs as steering wheel is fine under braking , wheels have been balanced CV joint repaired also when i take it out of gear it still vibrates its not as bad when accelerating but gets slightly worse when cruising , I'm baffled the only thing i can think of is a slightly bent drive shaft would this cause it and is this covered under warranty ??

Also the work was carried out under warrenttee but since they failed to fix the vibration and my car is now out of warrentee should they by right still fix the car under warrenttee ?? Hope you can help guy's thanks's

I had the same issue, was bad when cruising at 50mph+ when accelerating the vibration increased with the revs. I booked mine into Audi and they replaced the wheel bearing. Problem solved :) Have you checked your wheels are balanced ok??

Cheers Davie

Yeah ive had the wheels balanced and checked and audi said the first things they checked was the bearing's

Im just gutted i had a couple coming to see the car this week and thought the cv joint would sort it , The car drive's fine everything is spot on apart from this effing vibration .

Dave Was it driving round corners the noise got worse or just over 50 going straight as i seem to get it , Also was it repaired under warrennty or not if not how much if you dont mind me asking

Last edited:
Ive got exactly the same problem on my s3 its going into audi tomorrow .. so ill let u know .. it gets to 70 then starts goin brrr .... brrr .... brrr faster u go quicker it gets n obviously the slower u go it slows down. im thinking wheel bearing or drive shaft ?!

great let us know mate thanks , Doesnt mean its the same though but we will see , Mines more of a vibration you can feel it under your feet ...

Im taking out an audi engineer tommorrow for a spin to see if he can spot what it is . I just hope its not to expensive im hoping it will be done under warrentty as it was in audi under warrentety for this problem but they hav'nt fixed it , So im hoping for a goodwill gesture as by right's it should of been fixed under warrentty

righty i took an audi lad out this morn ... n he said wheel bearing on passenger side .. picked car up tonight had wheel bearing replaced and is sweet as now !!

Yeah ive had the wheels balanced and checked and audi said the first things they checked was the bearing's

Im just gutted i had a couple coming to see the car this week and thought the cv joint would sort it , The car drive's fine everything is spot on apart from this effing vibration .

Dave Was it driving round corners the noise got worse or just over 50 going straight as i seem to get it , Also was it repaired under warrennty or not if not how much if you dont mind me asking

Was repaired under warranty and yes the vibration would increase when cornering.

Davie

Well i took an audi guy today he was trying to say it's a different problem and repairing the prop shaft sorted the original vibration which he is blatently lying , I dont know what to do now im trying another set of wheel's on the car tommorrow do definatly make sure its not the wheel..

If it is drive shaft then i think its gona be an expensive job if its wheel bearing's il have to see , But if the to**ers would of picked this up under warrentty it wouldnt be costing me nothing im kinda peed off , good result though lads nice one i just hope mine is a wheel bearing to

Mines going into Audi on Friday for this problem. Noise is coming from front drivers side and vibrates from 50mph+

should be could be something as simple as a balance weight come off, look for evidence of that, if its that then its find but i need not tell you to take it canny, like you should be doing anyway roads are ***** just now!

it would be easier to diagnose if i could drive the car obv, check all your pressure and tyres for bulges

Can you feel the shaking through the seat or through the steering wheel?

I had a similar problem, was an inner CV joint. Faster I went/harder I accelerated the worse it was, might be worth a look...

I know it's nearly a 5 year old post but did you guy manage to solve this problem?

I have the same thing just purchased my s3 few weeks ago and has the exact same problem as Binnsy, a vibration around footwell both passenger and drivers side. Brrr ..... Brrr ...... Brrr ..... Consistently like that at around 70mph+ slowing down and speeding up with the speed.

Mine was the prop shaft nuts/damper unit thing. I think it comes out of the transfer box. I don't know what it's called. I'm no mechanic...

They may have replaced prop and not the bit I'm trying to describe.

Sorry for being vague and non specific on what the part may be.

After obvious wheel bearing / prop shaft issues...i'd be looking at out of round / oval wheels or worn tyres (not as in low tread patterns but in cracks in sidewalls & general aging / degrading)

I've had an alloy wheel on mine crack....an original 17" 5 spoke sline Ronal. Heard lots of stories of wheels on high end golfs going oval & buzzing. Balancing will stop side to side vibration but don't think it will sort oval wheels.

And is there any way to check if it's the wheels themselves without changing alloys?

The only tyres I haven't replaced are the rears as there's plenty of tread left on them.
I've had a 4 wheel alignment and 2 new tyres recently on the front. Been to a private garage and audi, had 3 technicians going out in my car, nobody can locate the problem.
Audi said it's definitely not the wheel bearings.

I was advised to get a fast road wheel balancing as they balance the wheels up to say 80mph rather than maybe 12.

I'm thinking about getting the wheels rebalanced and then when the 2 rears wear low I'll replace them aswell.

I'm having the same problem, I'm going to get both wheels balanced again tomorrow and will report back

I've had the problem for a few years and only getting around to seeing what the problem is. I should got it sorted when the car was under warranty but put it down to wheel balancing but I don't think it is.

Sounds like a common fault?

I've also got this issue right now. Had 4 new tyres onto the wheels and supposedly balanced & aligned. I stuck it back in to the garage today to get the wheels balanced again (and stupidly missed their calls to come pick it up again) but I'll have it back on monday and update if it fixed my issues.

Weird how common it is with no solution to the problem..

Let us know how you both get on..

When I went to audi the head technician said leave it until it progressively gets worse (if it does) to be able to identify the problem more easily.. Great help!

Quick update. Got front wheels balanced today at kwikfit (jolly nice bunch and quick service if I may say so) and took the car for an immediate drive and noticed a slight improvement but not cured so thought I would leave until my next scheduled service for investigation however approx and hour later after driving and coming to a standstill I noticed an odd pulsating whirring type noise coming from the front drivers side axle area. At first I thought it was something rubbing, then thought some gearbox teeth were grinding but it appears to be neither.

Points to note:

It only happens at low speeds (0 to 40) even if I lift and coast
It continues to happens if car is put in neutral and coasting
It continues to happen if car is put into neutral, engine switched off and coasting
Appears to be worse when cornering left, less noticeable when cornering right
Stops grinding / whirring when brakes are applied
When traveling at a snails pace the noise sounds like ball bearings stacking upon each other cyclically / pulsating during rotation

To me it sounds like a Wheel bearing but will not know until I speak to Audi tomorrow or take to them for further inspection.

Thoughts?

To me it sounds like a Wheel bearing but will not know until I speak to Audi tomorrow or take to them for further inspection.

Thoughts?

Keep us all updated please mate.

Is yours a vibration similar to mine where it's on... Off... On... Off..
Or is yours a constant vibration whilst the wheels are rotating at speed?

Definitely a wheel bearing. Everything you have tested and described points exactly that.

You say that as so many people have said to me but after taking it to a private garage and audi themselves, both insisted the wheel bearings are fine.

An audi technician did suggest to spin the drive shaft 180degrees as that can sometimes solve some vibration issues but again couldn't guarantee it would solve the issue.

Or is yours a constant vibration whilst the wheels are rotating at speed?.

Mines a constant vibration but only between 75 and 85 mph. Typical, just the speeds I like to cruise at!!! Used to disappear over 85 but haven't attempted this since today's newly found issue.

Jack the car up and test each for wheel bearings for play. Should be fairly noticeable

Thanks will check probably in the week now or next week as the car's put back in the garage

Anyone know if it is possible to rotate the wheel on a Quattro?

Mines a constant vibration but only between 75 and 85 mph. Typical, just the speeds I like to cruise at!!! Used to disappear over 85 but haven't attempted this since today's newly found issue.

I had the exact same on my S3 for ages. I got Audi to have a look and my wheels were buckled. I got a good refurb on them and it improved things but it was never fully resolved.

Okay so it seems my vibration has gone now ... i replaced a rear tyre due to a slow puncture and maybe the garage did an all around check on all tyres or something but now i no longer experience this... this all does seem to be wheel balancing / bearing issue though...

Took the car to Audi yesterday. On the drive down to them the noise was getting gradually worse which developed into a knocking / thudding noise with mild feedback felt through the steering wheel.

A technician took it for a road test but we're puzzled to what the noise is. They observed all of what I mentioned above (more noticeable on left lock than right, stops when braking , still there when coasting etc.....) so decided to put it up not the ramp to take a closer look. 30 mins later technician returns and is still unable to diagnose and said it will needs further investigation but it seems to be either a CV joint or wheel bearing, according to them.

I have left the car with them as they advised against driving the car in the current state.

As always, I will keep you all posted.

Hi,

Been following this thread with interest...

I picked up a used 2016 S3 8V last week and have an anoying rattle/buzz coming from the dash - any ideas on this...

Apologies for the background noise hopefully you'll hear the buzz/rattling....

Hi,

Been following this thread with interest...

I picked up a used 2016 S3 8V last week and have an anoying rattle/buzz coming from the dash - any ideas on this...

Apologies for the background noise hopefully you'll hear the buzz/rattling....

Was your climate control on? Sounded a bit like a fan catching on something.

Try posting in the 8v section too.

Hi All,
I too have a similar issue allthough it appears all your vibrations are there all the time?
Mine is intermittent. It may only happen twice on a journey but its done it in all drive select modes!
Its done it at 50, 60 and 70mph. I can be cruising along and then it just starts and feels like a rotational vibration coming through my seat and then a bit through my steering wheel but then it can go by itself or stop at a junction and its like its reset itself.
I had the front wheels balanced as the steering was shaking badly but thats resolved now allthough its still not as steady as id expect from Audi quality? My mate said Q3s are known for steering wheel wobble!? Realy, not convinced!
I bought the car from my m8 who has absolutely mothered the car but dont think hes ever taken it over 50mph! He had the full stronic gearbox service done 20k miles ago.

My early worry though was it was something in the auto box. Surely if its a bearing or any mechanical component wear, then the vibration would be there all the time?
Ive booked it in to the transmissions garage for a diagnostics as im hopin to rule the box out!
Id say the front discs need replacing as i get steering wheel wobble when i brake! Could this be a factor?
Ive always though that we balance our wheels but what about everything else on the drive train? The discs dont get balanced except from new.
From reading all your posts, nobody is suggesting the suto box which was and is my biggest concern but then it drives so well and so smooth with no warning lights?
Ive had to wait nearly a month to get into transmissions garage as they are so busy! Its booked in for 27th jan.
Any other thoughts being that its intermittent? Thanks

Keep us all updated please mate.

Is yours a vibration similar to mine where it's on... Off... On... Off..
Or is yours a constant vibration whilst the wheels are rotating at speed?

You say that as so many people have said to me but after taking it to a private garage and audi themselves, both insisted the wheel bearings are fine.

An audi technician did suggest to spin the drive shaft 180degrees as that can sometimes solve some vibration issues but again couldn't guarantee it would solve the issue.
Hello mate, sorry I know this is years back but I have the same issue in my a5… on off on off vibration at speeds over 65mph. I have already replaced tyres as recommended by my local garage but still the intermittent vibration is present. Any help would be very much appreciated ! Thanks

Hello mate, sorry I know this is years back but I have the same issue in my a5… on off on off vibration at speeds over 65mph. I have already replaced tyres as recommended by my local garage but still the intermittent vibration is present. Any help would be very much appreciated ! Thanks
I would suggest u get it Scan with a Genuine VCD's cable and see what faults u have ( if any ) and take it from there as there could be a multitude off problems causing this .

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk