JMB RetrofitsBadger5
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Finally Got An A3

Thread: Milltek Resonated or Non Resonated opinions.

Reverse Gear

Status

Milltek Resonated or Non Resonated opinions.

Hi, looking to get a turbo back exhaust system next month but cannot decide on which to get RESONATED or NON-RESONATED looking for your opinions and if anyone has any videos of both.

Cheers Craig.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Boycie

Status
    Do you want a bit of noise or refinement?

The resonated still sounds very nice, I have the non res and I love it

However, my friend had the non and it was very loud so he then opted for the resonated

Down to personal pref - I love the noise of my car and sounds immense in the tunnels - check out vids on youtube

6th Gear

Status
    I started with resonated then switched to non resonated thinking my car was too quiet. Around town the non res was pretty mean sounding but very tiresome on the motorway so I switched back to resonated and what a difference, all the positives without the drone.

If you do an motorway work and carry passengers go for the resonated.
    Wife - 12 BMW 320D 181 bhp, 8 Speed Auto, Melbourne Red, Heated Leather, privacy.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy. (Sold)
    Golf GTi MK6 - Revo stage 2, ITG, Milltek Race TBE, AP Racing 4 pot BBK - Sold.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy,Nav, Park sensors, 6 disc, Revo Stage 1, ITG Enclosed Intake - Sold
    BMW M135i F20 - Bloody good straight from the box !

"Fast Cars are Safer...."

4th Gear

Status
    What car mate? Iv got a tbe non-res on a 2.0tdi and personally like it, cant say the same about some of my passengers though. But still i wouldnt change it

A3 2.0 TDI Optics Black S-Line, FR&RTuning Stage 3! GT20 Hybrid Turbo, THS TFSI FMIC, Sachs performance clutch kit+SMF, Milltek 2.5" Turbo-Back Non-Res Exhaust, ITG Maxogen Induction, EGR Delete with FR&RTuning Map out, Custom Black 18" RS4, 35mm H&R springs, S3 brakes, EBC Yellowstuff, front splitter, HID Xenons, S3 tailgate Spoiler, 09 Rear Lights, Retrofit Audi Ipod, S3 Air vents, Bose sound+retrofit JBL Subwoofer 1200W.
    Milltek Cat-back Non-Res for S3 2.0T FOR SALE both 3dr and 5dr PM

6th Gear

Status
    I had non-res on my 2.otdi too and agree no problem with that one, not overly loud` at all.
    Wife - 12 BMW 320D 181 bhp, 8 Speed Auto, Melbourne Red, Heated Leather, privacy.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy. (Sold)
    Golf GTi MK6 - Revo stage 2, ITG, Milltek Race TBE, AP Racing 4 pot BBK - Sold.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy,Nav, Park sensors, 6 disc, Revo Stage 1, ITG Enclosed Intake - Sold
    BMW M135i F20 - Bloody good straight from the box !

"Fast Cars are Safer...."

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    What car is it?

1st Gear

Status
    i ve been told if i fit milltek cat / downpipe on to my existing cat back on my S3 with out getting stage 2+ map it will bring on engine fault light !! any one heard /experienced this ????????????? sorry resonated is really quiet more so than oem imo

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by gingers3 View Post
    i ve been told if i fit milltek cat / downpipe on to my existing cat back on my S3 with out getting stage 2+ map it will bring on engine fault light !! any one heard /experienced this ????????????? sorry resonated is really quiet more so than oem imo
    ye if you put on a downpipe (cat replacemnet) or sports cat you need to change the maps settings, otherwise it will overfuel and dash will light up like a christmas tree

A3 2.0 TDI Optics Black S-Line, FR&RTuning Stage 3! GT20 Hybrid Turbo, THS TFSI FMIC, Sachs performance clutch kit+SMF, Milltek 2.5" Turbo-Back Non-Res Exhaust, ITG Maxogen Induction, EGR Delete with FR&RTuning Map out, Custom Black 18" RS4, 35mm H&R springs, S3 brakes, EBC Yellowstuff, front splitter, HID Xenons, S3 tailgate Spoiler, 09 Rear Lights, Retrofit Audi Ipod, S3 Air vents, Bose sound+retrofit JBL Subwoofer 1200W.
    Milltek Cat-back Non-Res for S3 2.0T FOR SALE both 3dr and 5dr PM

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by N8 View Post
    What car is it?
    Sorry its this S3.

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

I'd personally go for non-res, Matt's res is far too quiet for me

1st Gear

Status
    I personally dislike too much of the exhaust noise when cruising (even in stock form). When I am pushing the car I don't really care how loud it is. I have the same dilimma, but I can't find videos to simply compare stock with res and non res while driving normally. Everyone uploads videos of how it sounds when the car is thrashed

EDIT: The non-res may reduce turbo back pressure even more, so it may help with cars having the known misfiring issues. Or... maybe not
    Last edited by GConn; 12th January 2010 at 09:55.

Boycie

Status
    If you want a bit of noise but want to keep it refined, there is a butterfly valve in the standard exhaust which is closed at low revs.

This is air controlled and can be simply modified by pulling off the air lead and securing the valve open. There is no harm in this and will not cause any issues or bring up any lights on the dash or on vagcom - just means you have a nicer note all the time but still keep the stock system

Revo Stage 2+ Audi S3

Status
    After going out it my mates stage 2+ s3 with tb non res id go for that, sounds awsome

Revo Stage 2+ - Miltek Non Res Turbo Back Exhaust - Evoms Intake - Autotech Fuel
    Pump - Forge DV - Sachs Clutch - BSH Engine/Gearbox Mounts - BSH PCV Mod - RS4
    FPR Valve - Airlift Performance Struts With Adjustable Top Mounts & Droplinks with Accuair Management - H & R Anti Roll Bars - 42 Draft Designs Shifter Bushes - BBS E28 Magnesium Motorsport Wheels - Piano
    Black Optics Grill & Fogs - Piano Black Door Mirrors - Carbon Fibre Front Splitter & Rear Diffuser

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydie View Post
    If you want a bit of noise but want to keep it refined, there is a butterfly valve in the standard exhaust which is closed at low revs.

This is air controlled and can be simply modified by pulling off the air lead and securing the valve open. There is no harm in this and will not cause any issues or bring up any lights on the dash or on vagcom - just means you have a nicer note all the time but still keep the stock system
    I want all the performance gains without the extra noise. Why can't I have that?

HYPERDRIVE NEEDED

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by N8 View Post
    I'd personally go for non-res, Matt's res is far too quiet for me
    Yeah i agree nate id go for the non res i like a bit of low grunt in an exaust ...

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by 10blazin View Post
    Yeah i agree nate id go for the non res i like a bit of low grunt in an exaust ...
    I 100% agree Blazin

HYPERDRIVE NEEDED

Status
    Also the 2.0 tfsi doesnt sound the best petrol engine tbh they sound pretty tappy so id advice to lower the tappy sound with a louder exaust note

Neutral

Status
    I have just put on the non res and I am not impressed with the sound...dose it take a few days for the system bed in?

I have gone onto youtube and heard the same cars as mind and it sounds much better????? any one got any ideas as to why http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/images/smilies/noway.gif

S.
    5th Gear

Status
    agree with 10blazin. s3 sound like diesel. had milltek resonated one first and it was good, then i changed it for a non res one and i love it. it sounds awsome. when cruising, it's not much louder than stock, but rev it higher and it sounds awsome. even on iddle it sounds great.
    s3 Ibis White ... Build Thread

/ Black Grill / FbMfSw / Sunroof / Hill Hold / Armrest / Black Leather-Alcantara interior / Rear Parking Sensors / Heated Seats / Folding Mirrors / Cruise / Rns-e mk2 // ttrs-Brembo Brakes / 12mm spacers / Forge Short + Side Shift / 42dd's / ITG CAI / GfB DV+ / Forge Catch Can / Milltek TBE / Forge Twin IC/ Autotech HpFp / H&R ARB's / WALK / KW v3's / RS4 fpr / Loba&Sachs clutch / Revo Stage 2+ / ...

1st Gear

Status
    Is a significant gain received from getting a milltek exhaust?
    calvA3 likes this.

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Combined with intake and map, 340bhp..

2nd Gear

Status
    Anybody have any video of a resonated Milltek on an 8P S3? I'm looking at one with an AmD remap and non-res system and after seeing some video I think it's a bit loud and boy-racer for my tastes?

Morells
    Hi mate I thought the same as you and I went for the resonated milltek and love it you can see it fitted in my thread Joined the S3 Group at last. I'm taking a video of it going past and inside later today and will be putting it on YouTube as there isn't a video of it yet and will let you know when I have done this. Hope that helps.

There's no poke without smoke!

Status
    Hi mate..... I have a res exhaust and think its the mutts nuts.... I test drove a non res and thought it was a little too loud. I also drove a friends non res'd leon from Birmingham all the way to Aberdeen and by the end of it I was just fed up of the dull drone. When i drive my car with the res'd on the motoway you dont notice that much unles you are giving it a load of right foot.

Vroom Vroom!

Stage 2 Custom code Remap, BSH Trueseal CAI, Milltek resonated decat Turbo back, Platinum grey wheels.

3rd Gear

Status
    Does the non res sound as bad as the droning of the rear diff on a quattro ?

6th Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Follow MartayMcFly On Twitter Visit MartayMcFly's Youtube Channel Visit MartayMcFly's Instagram Channel
    More bass in the non-res, but it's still pretty quiet compared to boy-racer aftermarket efforts on Corsa and the like.

Gabrek Tuning - Audi S3 2.0TFSI with Milltek exhaust - YouTube

Pretty sure that's a non-res one.
    Hunt is over

1st Audi - 2001 Ming Blue 8L S3 210
    2nd Audi - 2008 Black 8P2 S3 3dr
    and now - 2007 Daytona Grey B7 RS4 saloon

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by GConn View Post
    I want all the performance gains without the extra noise. Why can't I have that?
    To be honest this is what I was after - was pretty nervous about fitting a Resonated Milltek, but god knows why - in the cabin I can't say I notice any difference - it's only when I'm outside the car or tunnel blasting with the windows open that I notice the difference.

Lost in music...

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by essIII View Post
    To be honest this is what I was after - was pretty nervous about fitting a Resonated Milltek, but god knows why - in the cabin I can't say I notice any difference - it's only when I'm outside the car or tunnel blasting with the windows open that I notice the difference.
    +1

I faffed about before getting a resonated Milltek, as I didn't want the boomy, chavvy noise.

It's perfect. Tiny bit deeper rumble than OEM & no chaviness. Sounds nice at full chat though, yet nice & quiet on the motorway...
    123d MSport coupe from the company

2007 S3 in sprint blue - gone!

Morells
    Uploaded videos of the milltek resonated system on here Joined the S3 Group at last