Milltek Resonated or Non Resonated opinions.

Craig.D

Reaction score
Hi, looking to get a turbo back exhaust system next month but cannot decide on which to get RESONATED or NON-RESONATED looking for your opinions and if anyone has any videos of both.

Cheers Craig.

Do you want a bit of noise or refinement?

The resonated still sounds very nice, I have the non res and I love it

However, my friend had the non and it was very loud so he then opted for the resonated

Down to personal pref - I love the noise of my car and sounds immense in the tunnels - check out vids on youtube

I started with resonated then switched to non resonated thinking my car was too quiet. Around town the non res was pretty mean sounding but very tiresome on the motorway so I switched back to resonated and what a difference, all the positives without the drone.

If you do an motorway work and carry passengers go for the resonated.

What car mate? Iv got a tbe non-res on a 2.0tdi and personally like it, cant say the same about some of my passengers though. But still i wouldnt change it :)

i ve been told if i fit milltek cat / downpipe on to my existing cat back on my S3 with out getting stage 2+ map it will bring on engine fault light !! any one heard /experienced this ????????????? sorry resonated is really quiet more so than oem imo

i ve been told if i fit milltek cat / downpipe on to my existing cat back on my S3 with out getting stage 2+ map it will bring on engine fault light !! any one heard /experienced this ????????????? sorry resonated is really quiet more so than oem imo

ye if you put on a downpipe (cat replacemnet) or sports cat you need to change the maps settings, otherwise it will overfuel and dash will light up like a christmas tree

What car is it?

Sorry its this S3.

4123634585_c9c97be0db_b.jpg

I personally dislike too much of the exhaust noise when cruising (even in stock form). When I am pushing the car I don't really care how loud it is. I have the same dilimma, but I can't find videos to simply compare stock with res and non res while driving normally. Everyone uploads videos of how it sounds when the car is thrashed :ermm:

EDIT: The non-res may reduce turbo back pressure even more, so it may help with cars having the known misfiring issues. Or... maybe not :readit:

Last edited:
If you want a bit of noise but want to keep it refined, there is a butterfly valve in the standard exhaust which is closed at low revs.

This is air controlled and can be simply modified by pulling off the air lead and securing the valve open. There is no harm in this and will not cause any issues or bring up any lights on the dash or on vagcom - just means you have a nicer note all the time but still keep the stock system

After going out it my mates stage 2+ s3 with tb non res id go for that, sounds awsome

If you want a bit of noise but want to keep it refined, there is a butterfly valve in the standard exhaust which is closed at low revs.

This is air controlled and can be simply modified by pulling off the air lead and securing the valve open. There is no harm in this and will not cause any issues or bring up any lights on the dash or on vagcom - just means you have a nicer note all the time but still keep the stock system

I want all the performance gains without the extra noise. Why can't I have that? :laugh:

Also the 2.0 tfsi doesnt sound the best petrol engine tbh they sound pretty tappy so id advice to lower the tappy sound with a louder exaust note

agree with 10blazin. s3 sound like diesel. had milltek resonated one first and it was good, then i changed it for a non res one and i love it. it sounds awsome. when cruising, it's not much louder than stock, but rev it higher and it sounds awsome. even on iddle it sounds great.

Anybody have any video of a resonated Milltek on an 8P S3? I'm looking at one with an AmD remap and non-res system and after seeing some video I think it's a bit loud and boy-racer for my tastes?

Hi mate..... I have a res exhaust and think its the mutts nuts.... I test drove a non res and thought it was a little too loud. I also drove a friends non res'd leon from Birmingham all the way to Aberdeen and by the end of it I was just fed up of the dull drone. When i drive my car with the res'd on the motoway you dont notice that much unles you are giving it a load of right foot.

I want all the performance gains without the extra noise. Why can't I have that? :laugh:

To be honest this is what I was after - was pretty nervous about fitting a Resonated Milltek, but god knows why - in the cabin I can't say I notice any difference - it's only when I'm outside the car or tunnel blasting with the windows open that I notice the difference.

To be honest this is what I was after - was pretty nervous about fitting a Resonated Milltek, but god knows why - in the cabin I can't say I notice any difference - it's only when I'm outside the car or tunnel blasting with the windows open that I notice the difference.

+1

I faffed about before getting a resonated Milltek, as I didn't want the boomy, chavvy noise.

It's perfect. Tiny bit deeper rumble than OEM & no chaviness. Sounds nice at full chat though, yet nice & quiet on the motorway...