S3 on full lock

nig63

Reaction score
Have noticed mine sort of clunks its way around when on full lock can some one check to see if their's the same or is this not right .

yep there is a clunking sound plus a kind of jump/skip .

I will get it booked in at the local dealers see what they say .

There have been a few reported failed steering racks on S3s.
Sounds like yours might have the same problem.

There have been a few reported failed steering racks on S3s.
Sounds like yours might have the same problem.

That sounds nasty . I will have a search and see what i kind find out . thanks

Have you just noticed it since the bad weather? Mine does it on ice but it fine normally, I had a new rack under warranty last week and mine did it earlier leaving the birds house, but there was ice and sludge on the road.

yes only since the bad weather has been around . Booked in today for them to have a look so will find out .

My 3.2 used to do that but its stopped now. Only did it going backwards out of a parking spot ..

Mine also does this since the snow and ice has been around..... I think its normal.... and its only on full lock!

MY S4 used to do a similar thing....

I had a similar thing, jumping wheel and clunk, it just needed a new wheel bearing, so don't jump to the conclusion that it's the steering rack.
No conclusion jumping here, just a constructive suggestion as the OP didnt mention anything about a problem in motion and under load.
The main thing is that the car is under warranty.

Valid point though.

Cheers
Paul

OK thanks for all the help the dealers said its normal so all good .

the dealers said its normal so all good .

when does a dealer not say that if there isn't bellowing smoke and a dashboard full of lights!

OK thanks for all the help the dealers said its normal so all good .

They reckoned my creaking rack was `dry top` mounts.

Now Ive noticed a `knock` it is going back for more checking.

2nd opinion might be useful. Its what I will be doing if Im told that its `normal` again.

cheers
Paul

Mine also does this since the snow and ice has been around..... I think its normal.... and its only on full lock!

MY S4 used to do a similar thing....

Mines the same & its a 59 reg