Sky InsuranceEM Tuning
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: S3 - Handling in The Wet / Snow

Interior Next!!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiekip View Post
    Not sure what people expect from Quattro.
    The 4wd will only help find traction when setting off, or going up hill. Reach a corner or need to stop, and you're bound by the same physics as every other car on the road!
    If some are finding the car underwhleming at getting going, try turning your TC off - it advises you do this in the manual, as the TC cuts power, meaning just as your getting some forward momentum and a degree of slip all power is cut.

Also ABS is not good in the snow, and I find the S3 system intervenes to early. Think of it this way, the ABS kicks in because you've locked up a touch, the ABS knocks the brakes off, you start to put more pressure on the brakes, so when they go back on they lock up, then switch off again and so on... so your entire braking zone is either a slide or glide. You're much better off using the gears and modulating the brakes sensibly, give yourself plenty of room and don't stamp on the middle peddle!!!

Personally I've found the S3 to be handy in the snow, it's managed to keep going where others have abandoned their cars (that's you Mr BMW and Mercedes ) and always feels predictable.
    perfect answer, i should read whole threads before i post.. this is what i wanted o say but couldnt be as'd typing it
    Gone but not forgotten......
    S
    3 - Phantom Black - Black Optics - Most Extras

Mods: Revo Stage 2+ - 18" BBS ch/Michelin PS2 - Recaro OEM Buckets - Milltek TBE NonRes/Sports Cat - Evoms Intake - APR hpfp - H&R Springs/ARBS F&R - Sachs Clutch/Luk DMF - AP Racing 6 Pot BBK - 10mm Spacers - Black Rings
    Mods To Do: Full Retrim - MY11 RNSe - Coilovers- Plenty Carbon

2. # ADS
    ADS

Interior Next!!

Status
    DONT THINK IVE POSTED THESE BEFORE, THEY ARENT THE BEST CAUSE THE BETTER ONES (OTHERS HAD MORE HOURS PRACTICE) ARE ON MY MATES CAMERA... BIT OF FUN IN THE SNOW!

http://s581.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=MOV02851.flv

http://s581.photobucket.com/albums/s...t=MOV02850.flv
    Last edited by S3RYE; 7th April 2010 at 13:32.
    Gone but not forgotten......
    S
    3 - Phantom Black - Black Optics - Most Extras

Mods: Revo Stage 2+ - 18" BBS ch/Michelin PS2 - Recaro OEM Buckets - Milltek TBE NonRes/Sports Cat - Evoms Intake - APR hpfp - H&R Springs/ARBS F&R - Sachs Clutch/Luk DMF - AP Racing 6 Pot BBK - 10mm Spacers - Black Rings
    Mods To Do: Full Retrim - MY11 RNSe - Coilovers- Plenty Carbon

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by consilio View Post
    Agreed. S3 is brilliant in the snow when getting going and pushing up hills where other 2wd or rwd cars fail. However there is no advantage when braking or going round corners, why would there be? Its just a normal car in that respect - normal tyres, small wheels (when compared to a proper off roader), low clearance etc etc
    Not true my lad, with regular cars that has FWD or RWD, when going on a roundabout or corner on snow, as soon as you hit the accelerator, the amount of torque going to two wheels will likely cause them to lose traction, and when you lose traction in the FWD, it will plow straight ahead, and if it is a RWD, it will spin you around.

In a quattro car, the same amount of torque is distributed to 4 wheels, therefore the engine could produce as much as twice the amount of torque before the tires break loose, and when they do, it would not be as tragic situation given that the other wheels are still driving the car in the direction of travel.

Of course, with the Haldex quattro model, in some situations, the front wheel might have to encounter slip before torque is transferred to the rear wheels, which in a low slip condition like on the snow, might be too late. So the way to drive cars with Haldex is to never fully lift your feet off the accelerator, and if your feet is just coming from the brakes and onto the accelerator, don't give it full throttle right away, which would just cause the front wheel to slip, but engage the accelerator a bit (especially when in a turn) so that the Haldex module would anticipate that you might be encountering a situation that might result in loss of traction, therefore it will engage the rear wheels before you even slip.

4th Gear

Status
    Holy Thread Revival

Has anyone noticed, with ESP OFF in the snow, and you're hooning it around in an empty car park drifting away, that the ESP light still flashes away?

What is it actually doing?

With ESP off, it definitely un-limits the throttle, and will allow you to rev and spin away. But I can't quite work out whether the other aspects of ESP are still functioning (eg: EDL, braking individual wheels etc.) when the light is flashing away.

S3 8V 3DR DSG ACC ABS ADS AMI ASR ASS DAB DBW DIS DRL EBA EBD EDL EGR EPB EPS ESP GPS LED MFSW MMI PDC PSF RAC SDXC TFSI CO2 EEC OTR WTF OMG

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by veeeight View Post
    Holy Thread Revival

Has anyone noticed, with ESP OFF in the snow, and you're hooning it around in an empty car park drifting away, that the ESP light still flashes away?

What is it actually doing?

With ESP off, it definitely un-limits the throttle, and will allow you to rev and spin away. But I can't quite work out whether the other aspects of ESP are still functioning (eg: EDL, braking individual wheels etc.) when the light is flashing away.
    I've never noticed my ESP light flashing when I've turned it off. Although I'm usually concentrating on the view a head of me and where i want to go instead of down at the dials.

3rd Gear

Status

My Social Networking

Add pinterovski on Facebook
    Good tyres,hand on the handbrake,TC off,get rid of that fear and you will be ripping thru that white *******
    Kelza likes this.
    Black roof,Tinted windows,Solar Orange Calipers,KW V3 Coilovers,
    HEKO Wind Deflectors,CAI ITG Maxogen,Non Res Supersprint Exhaust CB with custom Fi76mm DP,
    RevD with GFB DV+,Autotech HPFP,Custom SKN map Stage2,Forge ShortShifter,THS mounts,
    Twintercooler,Clutch is now on LOBA/SACHS!!!
    18 OZ Ultraleggera!
    365HP and 500NM of torque!

1st Gear

Status
    Mines been great. Tried with and without TC on. Was much better with TC off. Agree ABS kicks in too early though. Wish you could switch that off too. I have decent brand summer tyres on and has been really good.
    2010 TT RS - Sepang Blue - MRC 420BHP, 600NM

2010 Stage 2+ S-Tronic S3 BE SB in Ibis White!! ....... SOLD

Neutral

Status
    Had no issues with mine with Conti SP2's all round and thats with two near the limit.
    Always drive with the TC off in these conditions..
    --M135i AW,Manual--

Neutral

Status
    CJ92 spot on both the s3 on conti sc 3's and the a3 tdi Quattro on conti sc3's have been fantastic in the snow!!

just got to be aware of every other lunatic driving on the same stretch of road!
    Past Motors
    Golf Tdi
    Fiesta Zetec S
    350z

Current Rides
    S3
    A3 TDI Quattro

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12