Painting S3 rear diffuser?

tku

Reaction score
Hey guys, just wondering whether anybody has painted/resprayed their rear diffuser on their S3..I'm not a particular big fan of that weird grey colour that it has at the moment. Would ideally of preferred something proper like OSIR diffuser that I have seen on someone's TTS on the forum however I can't seem to find any carbon fibre parts for the S3 which is a shame. Was thinking of just getting it painted black. Any thoughts/suggestions?? Thanks again.

What colour is your car?

In my opinion, leave it as it is. It matches the grey in the front grill and lower part of the front bumper. You would have to consider changing them as well

If you want to see what it would look like, take your rear bumper to a sign makers or vinyl wrapper and see what it looks like in gloss or matt black before making a decision to paint it - at least you can remove stickers as opposed to paint!

I am about to do exactly that,and get mine painted black.

Would have liked to have seen it photoshopped but just thought i would bite the bullet

So you have seen one Nath as you wasn't sure,i just thought it would look good
with Lisa's having black optics and black mirrors

Guys, seriously.... get it vinyl wrapped first to see if you like it - there is no point in getting it painted for your then not to like it!

Plus, if I was in the market for another S3 and saw the rear valence sprayed blacked I would be asking questions and be having second thoughts about buying the car.

I do see what your saying Boydie,but if your gonna vinyl wrap it
you may as well just leave it wrapped.
Matt Andrew painted the front silver part on his s3 and that looks good.

Mine is not an s3 but i don't see why you would be suspicious if one is black

Nath .......have you got a rear pic of yours that someone could photoshop as ours are
the same colour :thumbsup:

Then just leave it vinyl wrapped - the best part of it is, if it gets marked or chipped, you just peel it off and do it again. You can also vary the colour to different shades of black from matt to gloss.

I had my grill vinyl wrapped in my TDI and it lasted well over a year before having to take it off.

Cheers Boydie,does the vinyl wrap apply to the curves well,as the rear diffuser as quite a few lines in it (not explainesd very well)

As the car is akoya and has no other silver bits,i don't know wether to have it all painted akoya and then wrap as you suggested the diffuser part.
Atleast with Naths he already has silver mirrors and rails.......decisions decisions :think:

Your a good man Jules.

What you saying mate,did you not like it black and what colour was the one you saw, when you look at the rear of the car you don't see
loads of the diffuser,so i didn't think it would be much of an issue.

You not got a rear pic you could photoshop :friends:

Im thinking of doing mine black to match the rest of the black bits (audi rings and lower front bumper), mine is Ibis,

Heres a SB which has been done

3435517444_5a23b34196.jpg

Well i'm a nice sorta guy ha ha

I think i have decided,i will paint diffuser and leave the roof as it is,hopeing to sort
bumper this week with Matt :cold:

Well my car is black...and I have decided on painting my diffuser too 'I think' . I just find that standard grey horrible, not sure why but maybe because I don't see many diffusers in grey. Now the question is..gloss black or matt black...like I mentioned earlier would of preferred carbon but oh well! And regards to Boydie about vinyl wrap..if I'm being honest I have no idea of any wrappers or anything to do with the process so might have to leave that one out.

What is the S3. Its a top of the range A3 with aluminium type mirror covers and silver front and rear splitters, and some more. Unless youve got a black S3 and want to go stealthy you will be changing what makes our motors stand out. l tip my hat to another S3 when l see it on the road, nice A3s for that matter as well, but if l see a bastardized motor l shake my head. But its not my motor, so if you see someone shaking their head then thats me. Dont get me wrong l thought about this as well but had sense drummed into me(thanks to those who did). Do your car a favour and dont do it, at the very least just get a nodding dog. l want one but the wife wont let me. See theres always someone that has another opinion that actually makes sense.

What is the S3. Its a top of the range A3 with aluminium type mirror covers and silver front and rear splitters, and some more. Unless youve got a black S3 and want to go stealthy you will be changing what makes our motors stand out. l tip my hat to another S3 when l see it on the road, nice A3s for that matter as well, but if l see a bastardized motor l shake my head. But its not my motor, so if you see someone shaking their head then thats me. Dont get me wrong l thought about this as well but had sense drummed into me(thanks to those who did). Do your car a favour and dont do it, at the very least just get a nodding dog. l want one but the wife wont let me. See theres always someone that has another opinion that actually makes sense.

Well mine isn't going on a s3,and as i have black mirrors and black optics,and laminX lights,so imo will hopefully look good.
I don't want my car to pretend to be something is isn't so good to change things slightly.
But i do see where you are coming from and its a very good point :yes:

Jules isn't tryin to make his car something its not? He's tryin to upgrade the car to a standard he's happy with, he hasn't got an S3 badge in sight, so whats the problem?

I also want to change my diffuser. I want to wrap it first though and see if I like it.
Can some1 please tell me how to take the rear diffuser off without taking off the whole rear bumper?

Well my car is black...and I have decided on painting my diffuser too 'I think' . I just find that standard grey horrible, not sure why but maybe because I don't see many diffusers in grey. Now the question is..gloss black or matt black...like I mentioned earlier would of preferred carbon but oh well! And regards to Boydie about vinyl wrap..if I'm being honest I have no idea of any wrappers or anything to do with the process so might have to leave that one out.

Had both front and rear done in the same colour trim code as the insert (grill part) in the Optics grill. I also have gloss black T/D Pro 1.2 rims and gloss black mirrors. A balanced mixture of satin and gloss (gloss finish on surround of Optics grill) really suits it. I would like to put a pic up but can't get them off my phone.

If I ever got tired of the satin black I can always get it put back to standard colour according to the bodyshop that did it.

Not a great pic...but its all i have at the minute. Didnt take long to do and im happy with the result as i hated the oem grey.
caacd520-5c1f-4b4e-a318-bc1a07d783a9.jpg

one word............plastidip!!!!
if you dont like it peel it off.

I’ve given my number plate holder some coats of black paint but beware, black spray paint seems to almost melt the existing grey paint

Attachments

• 220C9633-A498-40C7-AEC9-5F6E927BED22.jpeg
    220C9633-A498-40C7-AEC9-5F6E927BED22.jpeg
    909.4 KB · Views: 109