A3 xenon headlight upgrade

M88JCP

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I'm sure this has been asked before, but can anybody help me and tell me whether it is possible to retrofit genuine audi Xenon headlights to my 2007 car?

Thanks

I've been wondering this as well, so thanks for posting. I'm sure someone on here will know ...

yeah but you need the units with autolevelling in them to check out kufatec they do the adaptation looms im just waiting for a set to come at teh right price before i do mine

Do all the audi xenon units not have autolevelling in them? How does the autolevelling work?

All factory fitted xenon headlights have headlight washers and auto levellers. The auto levellers work to try and avoid blinding people because the lights are very powerful. For example if you're going up a hill they would level down.

MK5 Golfs have the auto leveller attached to the rear suspension, A3 maybe similar?

Yes it is possible but do research on the site as I've discussed it to death about whats involved.

All cars have 2 sensors, 1 on each axle including the Mk5 as its same car almost as the 8P

No disrespect mate but think you're confusing the levelling motors with the axle height sensors, completely different things, levelling motors yes are part of the headlights & in some cases are actually built into the headlights themselves, some have motors that can be detached from the headlights & replaced like the old 8L did & iirc the single vision xenons do on the 8P.

yeah youre right i am gettting confused, sorry first thing in the morning, so you really require looms for the height sensors the sensors themselves and an adaptation loom for the lights and lights with the levelling motors built in. I must admit even without the autoleveling having your xenon through a well set projection lens will be far less dazzling than some of these hids that are blinding everyone on the street these days. not heard from you in a while nhn how come you never drop by vagoc anymore (im Phil on there)

You need a loom for the sensors on the axles to the levelling control module which is located just to the right of the radio bolted on to the console chassis, kinda hidden, you need either an adapter loom for the halogen to bixenon or whatever xenons you are installing or amend current wiring to suit, now if its single vision xenons then can plug in directly as its same wiring mostly & 10 pin then code, but also reliant on a highline module being installed to code as xenons fitted, then you need to add wiring from the headlights to the levelling controller, nice little job for sure, gotta do for someone soon.

if i ever get a set of xenons for the right price on ebay ill do them just leaving it to chance that way

let me know when youve done the conversion nhn im highly interesed and considering throwing money at it

Already done mate before & converted my xenons to bixenon adaptives, so if you want it done then say so & can look at getting parts.

well the only bit that im unsure about is the level sensors ill hit you up once ive got cash, got a prior verbal agreement to buy a two tone interior for my car which comes first i figure i can get the headlighs balasts and bulbs off ebay for 400 im geussing i'd still need a controller level sensors and conversion looms right? also an approximate price would help, gives me something to aim for :p

Check your module 09 with vagcom for part number 1st.

ill check tomorrow afternoon mate, got some of the final wiring to do for my zune player integration on my double din unit also gotta wire in some risitors into my led interior lights to ensure they stay off when the doors are shut, not just go into a dim mode

what a job some things are never easy some updates will be in my build thread once i get the stuff off the camera
part number : 8P0907279A

Well your module is a basic version, not highline so have to upgrade that 1st, not easy/nice job.

woopie all the fun, but ill keep sourcing parts as they come thanks man, what part numbers would be acceptable?

Depends if you want single xenons or bixenons, C would do single & F & K will do bixenon.

I may have an OEM set of bi-xenon (06-08) headlights for my 56-plate 2.0TDI Sport with Halogen lights. From what I've read it seems with an adaptor loom they will work once coded? I assume that the main beam wiring, instead of lighting up a bulb, operates the solenoid for the bi-xenon high beam flap?

The other concern now is what NHN wrote about having the right MODULE 09 fitted to be able to code for xenons properly, or is this for something else like the levelling? As I assume they definitely won't work without being set on the proper code.

Last edited:
You will indeed need the right module. Without it you can tell the car you have them so they wont work, it will just give you a coding error.

Thanks for that. Is there any rough guide to knowing if it will have the right module or not?

On many threads it's been said that it just requires a coding change so plenty of cars must have the right module otherwise it would always be a must if you want to retro fit xenons?

I have 8P0 907 279 K which is one of the ones that works correctly. Ones that superseed that one most likely will also work.

I have 8P0 907 279 K which is one of the ones that works correctly. Ones that superseed that one most likely will also work.

What reg & spec originally is your car? Mine's a 2006 56 2.0TDI Sport.

For info my 56-reg 20TDI SPORT has a 8P0907279 F module.

I beileve this will be fine to code for bi-xenons as per NHN's post?

Does anyone know on VCDS would I select "Bixenon WITHOUT additional main beam", or "Bixenon with DRL"?

Uh no it doesnt quite work that way all the time, it would be the module that supersedes this within etka, you cant assume say a J, L, M etc module will do the same job as this isnt so, for the record the K has now been superseded by the P version.

For info my 56-reg 20TDI SPORT has a 8P0907279 F module.

I beileve this will be fine to code for bi-xenons as per NHN's post?

Does anyone know on VCDS would I select "Bixenon WITHOUT additional main beam", or "Bixenon with DRL"?

F module is 23 byte so will be fine, fact you can see these oiptions means will work, you need to select bixenon with drl of course these settings are only relevant when wiring is also correct.

Uh no it doesnt quite work that way all the time, it would be the module that supersedes this within etka, you cant assume say a J, L, M etc module will do the same job as this isnt so, for the record the K has now been superseded by the P version.

F module is 23 byte so will be fine, fact you can see these oiptions means will work, you need to select bixenon with drl of course these settings are only relevant when wiring is also correct.

Thanks for the info. I didn't go any further into the module other than confirm it's an "F" (I got those descriptions off a screen grab I've seen in a DRL thread). So I assume it's ok for bixenon.

With regards to the wiring it's a case of getting a 10-14pin adaptor? What are the extra 4 pins for? directional lights or something? And assuming it's a "correct" 10-14pin adaptor loom the bixenon work ok (ie full beam works ok)?

Also, what happens if you plug them in and try the lighs WITHOUT recoding? Could something get damaged or will they just not work properly?

Sorry for so many questions!!! Appreciate any help.

Not all the pins are used, on my bixenon adpatives it uses 11 pins, so without rechecking, bixenon standard possibly uses 13 which given the adaptives have canbus modules built into them so less wiring, thus bixenon standards are not canbus connected directed in the headlight, work over the wires so chances are more wiring.

Anyway just wire them up properly, dont run before you can walk cause if you do damage something then that is a very costly impatient test huh, lol, but you should only get DIS errors/warnings & canbus errors, but upto you.

Last edited:

Thats what I meant :icon_thumright:

Not all the pins are used, on my bixenon adpatives it uses 11 pins, so without rechecking, bixenon standard possibly uses 13 which given the adaptives have canbus modules built into them so less wiring, thus bixenon standards are not canbus connected directed in the headlight, work over the wires so chances are more wiring.

Anyway just wire them up properly, dont run before you can walk cause if you do damage something then that is a very costly impatient test huh, lol, but you should only get DIS errors/warnings & canbus errors, but upto you.

Ah IC that makes sense. I guess in a few years there will just be one single wire that controls the whole light unit :laugh:

Do you happen to know the pin-outs/wiring for a 10pin to 14pin plug convertor loom so I could check? I have read that some of these aren't done properly for some reason, so could check with a meter the orientation of the wiring before plugging.

On the kufatec website for this 10/14 convertor loom it has 2 spare wires http://www.kufatec.de/shop/product_...-Light---Adapter---Audi-A3-8P---8P-Sport.html and says;
"The added single wires need to be connected to the on board supply system control unit in order to release the Bi - Xenon switch. " what does this mean? Is that a connection on the actual headlight that is connected seperately to the main plug?

Last edited:
In answer to my own question the extra wires plug in to the Module 9 under the dash and are effectively 12v supplies to the solenoid flaps in the bi-xenon headlights to activate main beam. You can test them by simply connecting them directly to the +ve feed off the battery.

However (and I'm sure I've read it in a thread on here somewhere), the sidelights do not light up using the Kufatec loom (everything else works ok, main/dipped/indicators etc). Is this just purely a coding issue or is this an inherent problem with the Kufatec loom??

Hi! i know this is old but need your help :) I have an a3 8p with xenons idk if bi or no but it also has adaptive/leveling(no cornering). The wires inside got all dryed and crumbly and what not that i ended up buying a new used pair(planing to rewire the old ones sooome day XD). The new pair came from an S3 i think 2010 still 8p. The ending of the old headlight is 8P0... R and the new ones( S3 with cornering) are 8P0... AE.
They are wired somewhat different, the new ones the leveling motor connects to the balast and the old ones connect straight to the headligh connector. Center pins (big one) on both connector are in same place only the small ones on the sides like 1 or 2 wires are in different places.

The question is how can wire the new ones or what to do to make them work the leveling and if possibly cornering. Also just changed the rain/light sensor because that was the first to fail and im tired of the defective headlights chime everytime i turn on the car. Thank you!!

Here are some pics. The car connector(pink) the 4 small wires on the left side(flat one) are the ones that connect directly to the leveling motor on the old headlights(no cornering). The headlight pins on the other picture are the ones with cornering.

Attachments

• conector auto.jpeg
    conector auto.jpeg
    54.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Conector faro.jpeg
    Conector faro.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 24