2 fault codes found? Help/Advice needed.

G

Goner

Please can some shed some light on how i can rectify these faults.

It all started when i managed to get my zip caught in the seat belt catch, i have replaced the catch, firstly i took the car of the battery, unplugged the air bag and the seat belt chime wiring etc, unbolted the seat, removed the broken seat belt catch, bolted the new one one, connected the plug from the catch to the seat, bolted the seat back in and then re plugged the air bag and the seat belt chime wiring back in and finally put the car back onto the battery.

I thought everything had gone according to plan so started the car, to get the air bag light on, i then noticed that the car doesn't recognise when someone is sat in the drivers seat, no light on the dash telling me to put the seat belt on and no chime when i set off.

Thanks to Evolution5, he scanned the car for me today, we were both expecting just to reset the air bag light and everything would return to normal, however we cleared the faults, the airbag light went out for a split second and returned.

The codes found are these.

00-Steering Angle Sensor -- Status: OK 0000
01-Engine -- Status: OK 0000
02-Auto Trans -- Status: OK 0000
03-ABS Brakes -- Status: OK 0000
08-Auto HVAC -- Status: OK 0000
09-Cent. Elect. -- Status: Malfunction 0010
15-Airbags -- Status: Malfunction 0010
16-Steering wheel -- Status: OK 0000
17-Instruments -- Status: OK 0000
19-CAN Gateway -- Status: OK 0000
25-Immobilizer -- Status: OK 0000
42-Door Elect, Driver -- Status: OK 0000
44-Steering Assist -- Status: OK 0000
46-Central Conv. -- Status: OK 0000
52-Door Elect, Pass. -- Status: OK 0000
56-Radio -- Status: OK 0000
7D-Aux. Heat -- Status: OK 0000

Address 15: Airbags Labels: 8P0-959-655-84.lbl
Part No SW: 8P0 959 655 D HW: 8P0 959 655 D
Component: Airbag 8.4ED H00 0140
Coding: 0011603
Shop #: WSC 06314 000 00000

1 Fault Found:
00591 - Seat Belt Switch; Driver (E24)
007 - Short to Ground - MIL ON

The second fault which was found is to do with my rear number plate lights, i have replaced both bulbs with standard bulbs from Halfords. The bulbs which i took out were broken, as i say, replaced them expecting the dash warning to go out but nothing.

This is the fault code for that.

Address 09: Cent. Elect. Labels: 8P0-907-279-23-H.lbl
Part No SW: 8P0 907 279 C HW: 8P0 907 279 C
Component: Bordnetz-SG H37 0301
Revision: 00H37000 Serial number: 00000001569145
Coding: 05884F06A214100000000000000000000000FE0F5C
Shop #: WSC 06314 000 08192

Part No: 8P2 955 119 B
Component: Wischer AU350 H01 0130
Coding: 00062736
Shop #: WSC 06314

1 Fault Found:
01504 - Bulb for License-Plate Light (X)
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit

All advice is appreciated, thank you. :icon_thumright:

i take it that these faults havent been removed with a clear and a drive, with regards to the bulb does it appear to be functioning?

No the faults are cleared and then come straight back when scanned again, the airbag light still remains on, the seat belt light remains off and the rear number plate lights are off all the time, despite me fitting new bulbs?

its common for the number plate bulbs seals to be weak and the terminals to be corroded are they?, ive little experience witht he seat belt error so cant help you with that im afraid

When i had them out, they looked fine to me but I'll have a look in the morning, when you say terminals? Do you mean each end that holds the bulb in each carrier?

Cheers pal.

the the carriers i found mine have a tendancy to get corroded, so i replaced mine id also check the connections as well it sounds like theres no bulb as it would be givving a can error if there was a break in the wire i think, i get confused too much diagnostics **** in my head i sometimes work on ford jag landrover and mercs too! blargh

I'll have to unscrew them tomorrow and have a look further, when i had them out last time i was expecting them to work after i had replaced the bulbs because they were fine prior to the bulbs going!

The bulbs which i have replaced were chosen from the Halfords car manual (in the bulbs section of the store), at the time i didn't have much faith in that but when i took the old bulbs out and compared them to the new one, they looked the same?

you shouldnt have any problems with halogen bulbs even using the smaller ones, the metal flexes ive even got leds in mine without errors, terminals are a good place to start asl try the bulbs the other way seems unlikely id doubt that the bulbs are polarity consious but worth a try all the same! good luck

Thanks for your help.

Anyone else have any advice on the airbag fault?

Ta

with the airbag one it says it is short to ground so therefore its a wiring issue. Have you fitted all the wiring back correctly, you need to check that all the wires you have distrubed aren't damaged and rubbing the metal of the car. Short to ground usually indicates that the power supply wire or single wire is touching an earthing point, ie, the car.

with the airbag one it says it is short to ground so therefore its a wiring issue. Have you fitted all the wiring back correctly, you need to check that all the wires you have distrubed aren't damaged and rubbing the metal of the car. Short to ground usually indicates that the power supply wire or single wire is touching an earthing point, ie, the car.

Thanks for the reply, that's going to have to be the next thing to check, take the seat back out etc etc..

Regarding the number plate lights, i have just had them back out etc to try check wiring, but there isn't any wiring accessible from where i remove the bulb carriers? Where is the wiring which i need to check? Is it a case of removing the interior trim on the boot lid, would i see something then?

Cheers

isnt there a plug that attaches to them, sorry its been that long since ive had mine out hang on ill find pics

ah yes i belive theres a housing that pulls out after youve removed the bulb holder?

ah yes i belive theres a housing that pulls out after youve removed the bulb holder?

No plug that i can see, also had the interior trim off on the inside of the boot lid also.. nothing obvious going into the bulb carriers?

Regarding the air bag light , i have the seat out now, no wires are touching and there isn't any splits within the wires which i can see?! Patience is going now as it's starting to snow.. arghhh!

try stretching the contacts might just be a bad connection try checking the error for the seats on vag com with them out

The only errors which came up with vag com were the ones above fella, i don't have access to vag com all the time so i can't scan the car again, i by chance i have sorted the problem, will if have to clear the fault for it to not re appear?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
should be cleared after a drive, it will be stored untill it is cleared however but no dash lights though

should be cleared after a drive, it will be stored untill it is cleared however but no dash lights though

I'm off out shortly, I'll see what happens then, i don't hold out much hope to be honest.

The only thing that it could be now is the catch it's self now.. I did get it second hand is there a chance that if the previous car has been in an accident that could have something to do with it IE something in the catch which has been triggered due to the belt pretensioners kicking in?

Or perhaps it's from a different model of A3? Saying that it all looks the same as the passenger side?

erm yeah i did well kinda hang on

9.JPG

That's different to mine mate?

I only have the one screw hole on mine, what part of that is showing as melted? I couldn't see anything melted in either of my bulb holders?

Ta

Was that the passenger or drivers seat belt clip etc, assuming drivers atm but there is a relevance to my query given the drivers seat shouldnt have an occupancy sensor in.

It's the drivers side NHN, i have replaced the drivers side catch with another drivers side catch from another A3. If the drivers side did not have an occupancy sensor in how would the car know if there was someone sat in the seat or not? When I've been in the car before and not put the seat belt on immediately, the chime has come on and the symbol has appeared on the dash, now it does neither?

This was before i broke the original catch BTW.

It's the drivers side NHN, i have replaced the drivers side catch with another drivers side catch from another A3. If the drivers side did not have an occupancy sensor in how would the car know if there was someone sat in the seat or not? When I've been in the car before and not put the seat belt on immediately, the chime has come on and the symbol has appeared on the dash, now it does neither?

This was before i broke the original catch BTW.

Without trying to sound all superior here, but think about your question a bit more, how would the car know someone was in the seat, well ask yourself who turned the ignition on for a start, lol, ignition turns on seat belt warning for drivers instantly if installed & coded, however passengers circuit relies on the pressure pad to turn on the circuit.

As for your issue, I would try shorting the wires together as I assume its a make circuit to tell car belt is indeed in use.

You will need to clear any faults shown on the system tbh so it knows the safety features are fully functioning.

Also be patient as you last commented 16 hours ago then 4 hours later asked "ANYONE", remember we all do have lives outside of ASN mate, glad to help where we can I'm sure, but a little more patients needed maybe :icon_thumright:

Both faults have been solved now, i purchased a new catch for the seat belt.. Fitted it, turned the key and no ABS fault on the dash and i now have a seat belt chime when i set off now.

Cleaned up the contacts on the rear number plate lights and bent the contacts on the carriers to meet the contacts.

Job done!

Cheers All.

:icon_thumright: