Chris NottSky Insurance
    4th Gear

Status

S3 been sat on drive since Sunday, will the engine be ok ?

Probably a silly question i dunno...

My drive situation is pretty bad, out in the country, steep, narrow, windy drive covered in ice and snow every day, i havent even attempted trying to get it out, every time i shovel the snow away its replaced by the morning, luckily i have a lift in a range rover available every day to work and back.

Was just wondering if theres anything i need to do as it looks like its gonna be there for quite a few more days yet, i switch the engine on every day and let it tick over for 20 mins - is this long enough given the -10 temps at night?

Any tips?
    Thanks

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    to be honest I'd just leave it alone until the snow has cleared... starting and leaving it to idle can only cause more engine wear!

6th Gear

Status
    Mine has been sitting quite a bit - drive is bit steep & covered in ice. doesn't take much to defeat it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGUTmOSH5Q0

I have been periodically starting it so that the frost doesn't become deep seated. Problem is it has been a while since I last filled the washers - IE before the frost came. Got it all defrosted now & filled with screenwash.
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

4th Gear

Status
    Oh i thought i was doing it some good lol, thanks for the tip i guess its gonna be easier for me to do that, brand new car = irrational worrying

Sharpest Tongue in the West

Status
    it'll be fine mate, just take it easy for the first few miles you do eventually drive it, not so much for the engine (although that would be a good idea) but for things like the brakes and bushes and suspension conponents to warm up a bit after a long time sat still in the freezing cold.
    Porsche Cayman S |Jeep Grand Cherokee|1988 Ford Fiesta XR2

www.essexdriversclub.com

1st Gear

Status
    You shouldn't leave the engine to idle for any period of time on first start up.

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    This is why I'm really thankful I live in an apartment with underground car parking

Now running on Bentley's y'all

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by N8 View Post
    This is why I'm really thankful I live in an apartment with underground car parking
    Mine has been tucked up in my garage this winter - electric door so don't even need to get my shoes wet. It's hard not to feel a bit smug when you see people scraping ice and snow off their cars when you drive past isn't it?
    A3 3.2 V6 S-Line | Brilliant Black | Full Votex Kit | 18" Cades Bern / 19" Bentley 5 Spokes in flat grey with 215/35 Falkens | Custom Code Remap
    V-Maxx coilovers | Remus exhaust | Pipercross Viper | Goodridge Brake Lines | RNS-E | Bluetooth | FBMFSW
    Previous VAGs: 99 S4 Biturbo | 06 Golf GT TDI | 08 A4 S-Line TDI PD140 | 02 Passat 4.0 W8
    Other toy: Suzuki GSX-R750 K3 Black/Silver

Leather arm rest for sale | S3 mirror covers for sale | 09 3dr tail lights wanted | Twin grills wanted PM me!

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by V6Pete View Post
    Mine has been tucked up in my garage this winter - electric door so don't even need to get my shoes wet. It's hard not to feel a bit smug when you see people scraping ice and snow off their cars when you drive past isn't it?
    I wouldn't say I feel smug, just grateful, my car hasn't moved since it snowed, stayin that way as well, with my 2 BOLD tyres, till I pick the playdough ones up

6th Gear

Status
    my car suffers at the expense of my bike (and all the rest of junk in my garage)

Status
    I wouldn't say I feel smug, just grateful, my car hasn't moved since it snowed, stayin that way as well, with my 2 BOLD tyres, till I pick the playdough ones up
    Smug, grateful, same difference
    A3 3.2 V6 S-Line | Brilliant Black | Full Votex Kit | 18" Cades Bern / 19" Bentley 5 Spokes in flat grey with 215/35 Falkens | Custom Code Remap
    V-Maxx coilovers | Remus exhaust | Pipercross Viper | Goodridge Brake Lines | RNS-E | Bluetooth | FBMFSW
    Previous VAGs: 99 S4 Biturbo | 06 Golf GT TDI | 08 A4 S-Line TDI PD140 | 02 Passat 4.0 W8

Leather arm rest for sale | S3 mirror covers for sale | 09 3dr tail lights wanted | Twin grills wanted PM me!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Khufu View Post
    my car suffers at the expense of my bike (and all the rest of junk in my garage)
    I chose my house for it's double garage so I could get car, bike and junk inside. I spent more time checking the garage out than the house....

6th Gear

Status
    bold tyres? LOL

4th Gear

Status
    Smug B*****ds

So i shouldnt start it again til the snow thaws? desperate to drive it but its not worth pranging it into the walls at either side of the drive, funnily enough i do have a garage but there is way too much junk in there

Ah well i guess i will just have to sit here paitiently with baited breath

6th Gear

Status
    Amazing isnt it that most of us have garages but very few use them, mines full of excercise equipments, jog machine etc whilst the nice expensive motor sits out on the drive, a bit daft really but a great storage place

Our BMW has been sitting there for 4/5 days now but will be fine so dont worry Jonny.

It wont be long until its gone hopefully, so much for Global warming LOL !!
    Wife - 12 BMW 320D 181 bhp, 8 Speed Auto, Melbourne Red, Heated Leather, privacy.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy. (Sold)
    Golf GTi MK6 - Revo stage 2, ITG, Milltek Race TBE, AP Racing 4 pot BBK - Sold.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy,Nav, Park sensors, 6 disc, Revo Stage 1, ITG Enclosed Intake - Sold
    BMW M135i F20 - Bloody good straight from the box !

"Fast Cars are Safer...."

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A3Bash View Post
    You shouldn't leave the engine to idle for any period of time on first start up.
    What if you cant see out of the friggin window?! lol Do you suggest I drive around with my head out of the side until it clears?
    B6 1.8T Avant s line gmbh

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by V6Pete View Post
    Smug, grateful, same difference

4th Gear

Status
    Ace Ventura style

6th Gear

Status
    I agree, I always run mine when its frosted etc, I even poor warm water over the screen from the kettle, never been a problem yet.
    Wife - 12 BMW 320D 181 bhp, 8 Speed Auto, Melbourne Red, Heated Leather, privacy.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy. (Sold)
    Golf GTi MK6 - Revo stage 2, ITG, Milltek Race TBE, AP Racing 4 pot BBK - Sold.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy,Nav, Park sensors, 6 disc, Revo Stage 1, ITG Enclosed Intake - Sold
    BMW M135i F20 - Bloody good straight from the box !

"Fast Cars are Safer...."

4th Gear

Status
    To me it made sense to give it a little start up for 10-20 mins to keep everything warm to an extent, and so true on the garage use too Spin.

Ive been scraping the snow off the open sky sunroof everyday as even with a layer of ice it creaks like mad, also my remap and mod plans have been put on hold because of it....pah

5th Gear

Status
    My car creaks like feck when I drive it with ice on, lol, apparently -9c now, got a 6.25am start tomorrow morning, not looking forward to it. I've had the last 3 days off, I think I'd better show my face. Hopefully it will be getting a bit warmer by Monday!!! Also haven't cleaned the car for about 2 months, when I usually do it at least once a week, just haven't been able to. I don't like looking at a dirty car!

vorsprung Durch Technik

Status
    should be ok,mines been standing in the drive for around 3 weeks,started it 2 day first time just to make sure battery wasn't flat when it kicked up , i knocked it off after 2 mins,keep the handbrake off if parking for long.Audi's use to this weather.......strong build quality ! ( i hope)
    Full leather/19"wheels/cruise/

Sharpest Tongue in the West

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Hopefully it will be getting a bit warmer by Monday!!!
    Eh, good luck, the weather shows another huge shower of snow for most of the country for Sunday and freezing temps for at least another 6 days...

Once I managed to open the door on the A5 this morning, I then couldn't shut it!! The pillarless doors are a nightmare, i eventually managed to shut the door, but becuase the window was frozen in place, it wouldn't then move down to seal properly, and I drove 10 miles at 6:30am with a freezing draft on my neck!!! hehe
    Porsche Cayman S |Jeep Grand Cherokee|1988 Ford Fiesta XR2

www.essexdriversclub.com

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by beanoir View Post
    Eh, good luck, the weather shows another huge shower of snow for most of the country for Sunday and freezing temps for at least another 6 days...

Once I managed to open the door on the A5 this morning, I then couldn't shut it!! The pillarless doors are a nightmare, i eventually managed to shut the door, but becuase the window was frozen in place, it wouldn't then move down to seal properly, and I drove 10 miles at 6:30am with a freezing draft on my neck!!! hehe
    Oh ^%**&^$"$

Ha, I remember looking at a 'rocco and thinking "this wouldn't be fun on a winters morning"

4th Gear

Status
    snow = novelty for a few days, jan 2010 = pain in the arse

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee_R View Post
    What if you cant see out of the friggin window?! lol Do you suggest I drive around with my head out of the side until it clears?
    Obviously you can't help some things, you're just supposed to avoid leaving at idle at start up. I'm only trying to give advice, do what you want.

S.3RIZZLE.....

Status
    I wish id specd the "Bat cave" option like Nath !