Chris NottAH Fabrications

Thread: S3 oil change

AUSmotive.com

Status

S3 oil change

I became more at one with my S3 yesterday...

My car has done 7700kms so I wanted to do a half interval oil change. Having done this a few times on our GTI now it's pretty much the same process. [Here is a very handy DIY from the GOLFMKV forum], which is what I have followed in the past.

If you read the DIY the pics below will make sense, and I haven't taken photos of every step, either. Try not make as much mess as I did today, haha.

As you can see there were a few metal filings left in the drain tray. But not as many as our GTI had when I did it's first oil change at a similar interval.

I used the oil from the dealer (Castrol 5W-30 SLX Professional Longlife III) as I figure that's what they will use for the free scheduled servicing anyway. And also because I can't find the same stuff in retail stores. Here is a [link to the PDF] of the tech data sheet (112kb).

The oil, filter and new sump plug aren't cheap, and all up it cost me AU$155 for the three items. Supposedly the RRP for the 5L of oil is $198 (yikes!) so at least Audi Centre Canberra knocked off a bit from the price for me.

Actually I didn't check the price for the filter, but it's the same part no as Volkswagen sells, so I should compare the prices.
    Last edited by Lima; 5th January 2010 at 23:44.
    AUSmotive.com // AUSringers.com

AUDI: MY10 S3 (8P3) / Nav+AMI / Sunroof / Blackout Grille / RS6 FBMFSW / PSS10s / Milltek TBE / APR HPFP / APR Stage 2+ tune
    VOLKSWAGEN: 1980 Mk1 Golf GTI

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    Nice work, did the car drive a little better after? Was going to do an oil change myself but was worried I may do something wrong.

Neutral

Status

Talking

V nice looking motor.

Although its probably a waste of money buying Audi longlife oil if it is going to be changed so soon - Buy the Castrol fully synthetic and save some cash
    2.0Tfsi Quattro S-line + remap

AUSmotive.com

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A3Bash View Post
    Nice work, did the car drive a little better after? Was going to do an oil change myself but was worried I may do something wrong.
    Yeah it does feel nice and smooth. The effect is not as great as the GTI, though, which almost feels like a brand new car after an oil change.

Quote Originally Posted by cameron1 View Post
    V nice looking motor.

Although its probably a waste of money buying Audi longlife oil if it is going to be changed so soon - Buy the Castrol fully synthetic and save some cash
    Yes, this thought has crossed my mind as well. But like I said, Audi will use that oil for my scheduled servicing and while I agree it is OTT, it's a good OTT, if that makes sense, haha.
    AUSmotive.com // AUSringers.com

AUDI: MY10 S3 (8P3) / Nav+AMI / Sunroof / Blackout Grille / RS6 FBMFSW / PSS10s / Milltek TBE / APR HPFP / APR Stage 2+ tune
    VOLKSWAGEN: 1980 Mk1 Golf GTI

1st Gear

Status
    My Dad used to say "The best oil is the cheapest" As a boy I could then never understand why he always went to buy the top of the range Castrol when ever he did an oil change.
    See if you can work out what he was really saying!!

Peter

3rd Gear

Status
    I had my oil changed last week, the car felt great with the new oil in.

Meteor S3, APR Stage 3, APR HPFP, Milltek TBE, LOBA/Sach's Clutch, Bilstein PSS10's, H&R ARB, Gen4 Haldex PP, EVOM's DV & CAI, Forge TB with Pro-Alloy IC, BBS CK 19" My S3