Normal for turn signal to stay on after keys are removed?

luckymacy

Reaction score
I have never seen this behavior in a car before so it's probably an electrical issue. The turn signals don't turn off after removing the keys and leaving the car. There's a buzzing alarm type sound that accompany's this so I'm thinking it knows this is not right. It's totally repeatable and NOT in the owners manual...

What say you guys?

Daft one , but are you sure it's not your parking light ?

Is it the equivilent to the parking lights we have over here? Leave the left or right indicator (turn signal) on with the keys removed and the sidelight and tail light on that side of the car stay illuminated.

When parked on the side of the road in bad weather / at night .. so some one does not knock your mirror off ,... yes it's happened.

When parked on the side of the road in bad weather / at night .. so some one does not knock your mirror off ,... yes it's happened.

gotcha, well I'm surprised there'd be any battery left overnight and in your bad weather scenario who wants to stand out to get a jump start in the morning :)

Seriously, that' maybe make more sense if there was a relay so the lights would flash. Save some battery and draw more attention at the same time?

gotcha, well I'm surprised there'd be any battery left overnight and in your bad weather scenario who wants to stand out to get a jump start in the morning :)

Seriously, that' maybe make more sense if there was a relay so the lights would flash. Save some battery and draw more attention at the same time?

Two five watt bulbs would only draw about 0.8 of an amp. Over an 8 hour period, that's less than 7 amps.

Two five watt bulbs would only draw about 0.8 of an amp. Over an 8 hour period, that's less than 7 amps.

Technically I think you mean less than seven ampere hours...

It's a legal requirement in Germany for ALL vehicles, AFAIK. My Porsche does it, and My A3 will do it, if I program it to with VAG-COM. -If you don't want it, you can de-program it the same way.

The warning buzzer is there to remind you that you've left lights on... again, my Porsche does the same thing.

Keith

Its a legal requirement in the UK as well, if parked on a road with a speed limit over 30mph.

If ever I'm in the position where I have to leave mine roadside, the parking light goes on, day or night. Too many blind people out there to take the risk.