Help for an Audi noob

Squirrel

Reaction score
Hi all,

Recently sold my R32 and looking for a change. In the process of moving house, so needed to cut down on things like fuel.

Was in the market for a Golf GTD, but due to the recent hike from VW on top of the vat rise, i've started to look into the Audi market.

Been reading that some people are getting fairly good discounts on the S3, does this also apply to the A3 sline? I was interested in the 170 TDi.

Have also been considering the S3, but would i be right in saying running cost are on par with the R32? (fuel wise).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Darren

Yes fuel cost very much so in comparison to the R32

In fact you would get more bang for your buck in the S3 over the R32 performance wise hence why I opted an S3 over an R32

I am assuming you had a MK4 R32 golf? The MK5 is alot cheaper in buying price for comparison as you could probably pick one up with decent milage for around £12-15k?

Insurance wise they are more or less the same as goes with tax too.

Hope this helps

Erm I think he doesn't want an R32, he just sold his..read! Yes there are good discounts on the S3 atm, however running costs are quite high. The tDi would
be a better choice for running costs and especially fuel bills since your moving house. Ask around and check brokers for deals as I'm sure in this climate there are plenty of deals to be had.

Where in my reply did I say GET AN S3 OVER AN R32, perhaps you should "Read"

He was asking how does an R32 compare, i was comparing the prices etc and why I opted for an S3 over the R32

Yes fuel cost very much so in comparison to the R32

In fact you would get more bang for your buck in the S3 over the R32 performance wise hence why I opted an S3 over an R32

I am assuming you had a MK4 R32 golf? The MK5 is alot cheaper in buying price for comparison as you could probably pick one up with decent milage for around £12-15k?

Insurance wise they are more or less the same as goes with tax too.

Hope this helps

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes it was a MK4 R had it from 6 months old. Basically i just wanted to downsize the engine as i fear the government will cripple V6 engines one day. So reason why i'm toying with the TDi.

With all this bad weather i'm also considering so kind of 4 wheel drive, as it becomes very frustrating and very disabling where i live. The R32 handled the snow with no problem, so i guess the Quattro will do exactly the same. However, it is a bit worse than Feb 09.

It's great to see people getting some good % knocked off S3's, especially the a guy on the forum who got 8% from Crawley. (i'm supposed to be going there on sat)
Has anyone managed to get that kind of discount of a A3 BE?

Thanks all for your help.

Crawley have this
http://www.inchcapeaudi.co.uk/ViewCar.aspx?id=600830838&type=used

Looks good with overdrive and RNSE etc. could be worth a look. quite well equiped for an S3 and i bet you could knock them down on that price...

Thanks for the link.

I was up there on Sunday looking about and saw a blue one out the front. Might have been the same, it had the grey leather centre as well.

tbh i'm looking for something new or nearly new with plenty of warranty. Is the 4 or 5 yr warranty worth buying?

If your main aim is to reduce running costs then the deisel route is the way to go. The S3 is in the same league as the R32 really as far as MPG, insurance, road tax, servicing etc. The S3 might return a few more MPG but a TDi will probably approach double that of the R32 depending on how you drive. The long term average on my S3 is 27mpg compared to 53 on my mrs A3 2.0 TDi, road tax I think was £255 / £140 for the two.

Last edited:
I get around 29-30 mpg with a remap in my S3. I think the R32 MPG was around 25-26???

When you look at the performance of the S3 the MPG is not so bad comapred to other performance cars.

The question is...will you be happy without the power???? I know I wouldn't!

Will miss the power!

But didn't want to end up in the same boat as i was in with the R32 when they started to charge a large amount on road tax for the v6.

But at the same time, if i get a deal on the S3 i might not be able to resist!