Hybrid Turbo fitting

sijones

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a 2.0 TDI, and know the turbo is about to fail, I have bought a hybrid one from Turbo Solutions and am wondering how difficult it is to fit.

I had a look today, and from what i can tell, the drive shaft will have to come out, and then there is something at top of engine by cam cover at back that will need removing to allow all the bolt of the exhaust manifold / turbo to be undone.

Is this all there is, or is there more to strip?

Anyone know anyone willing to fit, roughly how much to fit it... as might give it to someone to do for me....

either that or has someone got a spare garage / workshop that's warm I can use!!!

PS am on bluefin at the moment, anyone know what clutch I should stick in so I can remap upto this turbo's limit?..

I've fitted my hybrid, not for faint hearted, but I can do, but shaft doesnt need removing, cat/exhaust does though to get turbo in/out, I'm down south so not sure if its worth your time getting me to fit.

Shouldnt need a new clutch as they're fairly robust at the power levels we're doing, as hybrid will goto 220-240 but ideally I will be mapping mine this week to 220-230 from 185 currently as dont wanna push my luck.

I'll pop yor head of in a minute with my curry & roast dinner farts that are killing my pregnant missus tonite, lmfao

N8, am much as i'd like to do that, I think the misses wouldn't be happy, esp as we have a 1 month old baby that kinda kills off my spending budget...

only got the hybrid cus of this of failing, otherwise it wouldn't have been on the shopping list!

Am going to get Superchips to give me a new map when the hybrid is on to push the turbo a bit more, am hoping I get 230 myself.

I thought the clutch needed upgrading tho so it's good to know that the standard can handle it, if it matters it's LUK?

And I think the drive south would finish the turbo off, so currently am not driving it till this new one is on, want to limit potential damage!...

Anyone else up north west fancy fitting it!!!.....???? lol...

N8, am much as i'd like to do that, I think the misses wouldn't be happy, esp as we have a 1 month old baby that kinda kills off my spending budget...

only got the hybrid cus of this of failing, otherwise it wouldn't have been on the shopping list!

Am going to get Superchips to give me a new map when the hybrid is on to push the turbo a bit more, am hoping I get 230 myself.

I thought the clutch needed upgrading tho so it's good to know that the standard can handle it, if it matters it's LUK?

And I think the drive south would finish the turbo off, so currently am not driving it till this new one is on, want to limit potential damage!...

Anyone else up north west fancy fitting it!!!.....???? lol...

Is your car manual or DSG?

Manual or DSG should be able to handle the hybrid, but of course it all comes down to the way you drive it as with all cars as to whether the box will last

Manual or DSG should be able to handle the hybrid, but of course it all comes down to the way you drive it as with all cars as to whether the box will last

Really. that's interesting, so you're saying my 140cr with hybrid, remapped will push say 220-230 bhp and the clutch will handle it? I was under the impression the torque would kill it!

Scott as my previous post, if you stick it to it 100% all the time then as any car would feck the box up very easily & quickly, so its how you drive it as we all know mate, but IMHO it should last a fair while if driven sensibly.

IMO the torque would kill it. As Nigel says, it depends on the driver BUT, it would only be a matter of time for it to go pop :Flush:

It's a manual, I dont hammer it constant, like to play here and there.....

Interesting is Superchips, I called to say am putting the hybrid on and can they supply a new map, they said because they have not seen it before there not sure if they can... they have said they will try and do there best but might have to visit there HQ for a map at £150 an hour fee.....

I paid £520 - £530, brand new when it was quite new, because I have one of the first ones, it dont do much except the remapping, where as the latest ones can do logging and dianostics... can't help but feel ripped off, as I thought they were going to make it a better product as it went along by software updates or something... now i just feel like I should have gone local and paid the £300 for a local rolling road tuning........

If your hybrid turbo is a hybrid of your stock turbo fitting is the same as when fitting the stock turbo. If you need to ask how to fit the turbo and think the drive shaft needs to be removed to fit the turbo pay somebody who knows what they are doing to fit the turbo. RS tuning has a very good reputation in tuning stock hybrid turbos to about 230-240 bhp and 360 lb + torque. With the car running 360 lb torque you WILL need an uprated clutch at some point. Sachs make very good uprated VAG clutches with good back up which most tuning companies sale. Not that i am a fan of Superchips but unless you tell them what size wheels have been fitted to the turbo plus the inlet and outlet port size etc how can they write a map as the term hybrid turbo is not a make/model/size etc of turbo just a general word used to imply a turbo has had something changed on it.

Yes I concur with Mikey who knows what he's talking about, clutch may need doing at some point, then again as I said I personally think its down to driving styles, as to how long or if it will last the life of your use, but TBH guessing if you're going hybrid then you're not exactly a driving miss daisy huh

If your hybrid turbo is a hybrid of your stock turbo fitting is the same as when fitting the stock turbo. If you need to ask how to fit the turbo and think the drive shaft needs to be removed <snip> .

I find that statement a bit insulting.

I think that is obvious, that if it's the same stock turbo but different internals it will be the same removal and fitting instructions, what I was actually asking was I basically right in my assumptions.

When I went under and looked, to me the driveshaft out would give a good space to work with, and it was also what someone wrote on here when they changed there's.

Am not stupid, and could quite comfortably take the engine out, gearbox out, change things and put it all back together on my own, I was more after others people's opinion on what to remove for the best way.

Maybe I shouldn't ask questions...

On the hybrid point, I asked Turbo Solutions, is there anything I need to tell Superchips so they can do the remap for me, and the only thing he said was that there was a 52mm wheel... he just basically said it was down to the tuner to do his stuff - so on this I know nothing and can only go on what I ask / told etc.

Thank you for the information as now I can ask the above and get it ready for Superchips.

Well... Hybrid Turbo is fitted, but no power under 2500rpm ish, so am guessing it's going to have to be remapped to work with turbo... wasn't quite what I expected... but the power is defo there from 3000 to 4000 rpm...

Don't use superchips Si, they are poo. Give Ben @ Shark Performance a shout.

x2 we had a map off them on the wifes 1.8T Beetle ended up going to DNA Tuning who sorted it out for us whas kicking out 220bhp in the end and had it doing 145 chasing a 944 down the autobahn over in Germany

Well I drove a 170bhp A3 Sportback DSG with a bluefin map, and it felt SLOWER than my 140bhp, I was expecting to be BLOWN away and was very very disappointed.

Well... Hybrid Turbo is fitted, but no power under 2500rpm ish, so am guessing it's going to have to be remapped to work with turbo... wasn't quite what I expected... but the power is defo there from 3000 to 4000 rpm...

Need a custom map to take full advantage of the hybrid turbo mate, I was due to do this week but snow has killed that idea, it does make the car seem slower with hybrid tbh, so looking forward to the improved power, fair bit of it too, lol

Who you getting to do the map again?

For now, Superchips have said they will try and provide one for me, but have to do some logging on VCDS for them and then they can adjust the map etc for me. (just reprogram with bluefin).

I think tho when I have some pennies i'll get a custom map on a rolling road done so that it's proper done and getting the best from it, what I can say is that the acceleration in any gear between 2900rpm and above to 4500rpm is full on and very quick.

Did a quick log on VCDS and the ECU is asking for x pressure and the turbo isn't meeting it for a little bit... also black smoke with it, so looks like overfuelling at mo under the 2900rpm range...

Monday afternoon I should have a new map and be playing around with it... we will see....

What sort of price is a map going to cost you from superchips? :crying:

Thankfully nothing, as I bought the bluefin, so they said they would provide new maps remotely for free, I just have to do the logging and send it them etc and they will modify the map to suit...

Did a quick log on VCDS and the ECU is asking for x pressure and the turbo isn't meeting it for a little bit... also black smoke with it, so looks like overfuelling at mo under the 2900rpm range....

What differences are you seeing in the boost readings, any logs to show?

Also are the tips blacker than normal?

Graph below, green is pressure requested from ecu, yellow actual pressure.

a3graph.jpg

Did you also do the spreadsheet of the figures with times?

Cheers, i'll phone Superchips tomoz and see what they want etc and i'll do some logs for here... Should be able to see a before and after, an then later in year I might get a custom depending on how good the Superchip map is...

Well, new map supplied from Superchips, must say there is a dramatic difference, power is lower down again now but not as low as the standard turbo, bit of turbo lag depending on how your driving, but keeping the revs in the right range and the power is just simply amazing.

Clutch slips slightly in 4th 5th an 6th, so proof really that either my clutch is weak and needs replacing or the upgrade is defo required.

driving normally tho, the clutch is fine and even being a little quick but not foot to floor the clutch is fine.

I have phoned Superchips and spoke to them, they seem to think there is more they can do so, did a couple of runs with logging on VCDS and supplied them data, tomorrow they will send me a few different maps for my car and they said to see which one am happy with....

So i'll try each one and see which is best... but boy does it go!

so this is just hybrid and remap, no exhaust? did you have the car remapped before the hybrid?

I wont bother with exhaust tbh, even with hybrid. roll on melting snow, get that badboy custom mapped.

so this is just hybrid and remap, no exhaust? did you have the car remapped before the hybrid?

Yep, just a hybrid turbo from Turbo Solutions, and a new map, I had the normal bluefin at first (before hybrid), but Superchips provided a different map and used the bluefin to program it.

I might have had some power loss tho as the old turbo was failing, so it was quick but got a little slower.

But it's defo faster now.... defo!

Scott, I see your Cheshire - am near Chester so feel free to come sit in the passenger seat and see for your self if your thinking about it...

I wont bother with exhaust tbh, even with hybrid. roll on melting snow, get that badboy custom mapped.

The stock backbox is quite a restriction when doing anything more then a remap. If anyone has fitted a hybrid they need to change the backbox in my opinion.

You think Mike, I will have a word with powers that be namely my tuner, as I've never really thought a 2.0tdi with 220-230hp would be too restrcited on stock, but happy to be proven wrong, is there any evidence of this for me to browse over to convince me to cough up?

I don`t have any evidence but don`t blaim you for asking as i would do the same,what i know just from my own personal exsperiances when tuning diesel cars. Only the backbox needs changing really as the rest of the system is fine but a larger bore down pipe with a de-cat wouldn`t hurt as well to keep EGT`s down. Put a hybrid on a car with a stock exhaust then put an exhaust with a free flow backbox on Milltek,Powerflow etc and you will soon find out that the power will come on faster. The peak bhp will not be much higher but you will just get there quicker.