Headlights flickering

Gary b

Reaction score
the last week or two my pasenger side headlight started flickering when I started the car only for ten seconds or so then it seems to be fine, then it went off altogether and the dis gave the warning, it came back on but still flickered and the dis warning went off. now as of yesterday the other one is doing it and the first one is fine, any ideas of what could be the problem ???

Flickering headlights are a common problem on Audi's equipped with xenon. There are several causes but the most frequent ones are a faulty ballast, a dying xenon bulb or bad/loose wiring/connections.

If you’re Handy, it might be worth checking some things out yourself before heading to the dealer. First off, check the connection on the bulb inside the headlight. If that doesn't help, try switching the xenon bulbs from one side to another (if now the other side turns all black on you, it’s probably the bulb itself) . Then, try and find someone with the same type of xenon bulb and replace them. If you’re still in the dark, at least you now know the bulbs itself don’t need replacing. In that case the best guess is a dying ballast…

I had the same problem on mine and was able to fix the problem by changing the dying bulb with another one. When doing so, it is recommended to changed both because xenon bulbs change color over time. If you need new bulbs, do not buy them at Audi, they will charge you an arm and a leg. Instead, get them off eBay (I got mine from this seller).
I realize that in your cause the problem happened on both sides, however, it might be worth trying the switch. If it works, you will end up saving a lot of money by not having to go to the Audi dealer.

PS. ALWAYS disconnect the battery when working on xenon lights!

I have this with one of my xenon's they flicker and the left one goes off but when i turn the lights off and back on they come back on , Any idea's what this could be when i rev the car they seem to flicker a bit worse ...

Does anyone know how to get to the xenon bulb i flicked the metal clip off holding the cover on but cant get the cover out is there a thread on this ???

Also what is a ballast are they expensive and will i have to get audi to do this

Last edited:
★★★;877996 said:
Flickering headlights are a common problem on Audi's equipped with xenon. There are several causes but the most frequent ones are a faulty ballast, a dying xenon bulb or bad/loose wiring/connections.

If you’re Handy, it might be worth checking some things out yourself before heading to the dealer. First off, check the connection on the bulb inside the headlight. If that doesn't help, try switching the xenon bulbs from one side to another (if now the other side turns all black on you, it’s probably the bulb itself) . Then, try and find someone with the same type of xenon bulb and replace them. If you’re still in the dark, at least you now know the bulbs itself don’t need replacing. In that case the best guess is a dying ballast…

I had the same problem on mine and was able to fix the problem by changing the dying bulb with another one. When doing so, it is recommended to changed both because xenon bulbs change color over time. If you need new bulbs, do not buy them at Audi, they will charge you an arm and a leg. Instead, get them off eBay (I got mine from this seller).
I realize that in your cause the problem happened on both sides, however, it might be worth trying the switch. If it works, you will end up saving a lot of money by not having to go to the Audi dealer.

I agree!:icon_thumright:

★★★;877996 said:

Yeap I'd also agree with the above, use audi at the last possible moment if all else fails, but tbh I cant see how you wont get an answer to the problem with the above process.

As also said be damn careful with xenons cause the startup current is ****** high & will toast you for sure, its very dangerous so beware.

I have this with one of my xenon's they flicker and the left one goes off but when i turn the lights off and back on they come back on , Any idea's what this could be when i rev the car they seem to flicker a bit worse ...

Does anyone know how to get to the xenon bulb i flicked the metal clip off holding the cover on but cant get the cover out is there a thread on this ???

Also what is a ballast are they expensive and will i have to get audi to do this

You say both flicker when you rev the engine or just one?

my car has xenons yes and its still under warranty till march should i not just take it to audi and get them to deal with it ?

As per mitch, take to audi mate save yourself the really ball breaker hassle.

Hi nige i sent you a pm mate will you have a look and see what you think please , thanks mate

Last edited:
thanks for all the replies guys, sorry I should have said about the warranty but now it seems like a common fault then this should help anyone else for the same problem all help much appreciated.