Can anyone on here do a conversion for me please?

MARKMAKAVELI

Reaction score
Hello all, firstly I want to let you know I have been reading this forum for a few days and have used the search button and got alot of helpful info, so thanks. I feel i've learned so much, yet know so little!

A bit premature this, but if I were to buy an A3 and wanted to covert it to a facelift s-line bumper just like mattandrew did here ....

1. Would anyone be willing to do the work for me?

2. Can anyone give me clarification on the how much I should spend on an A3 that can be converted like the one above?

3. Am I right in saying that i'm looking at getting something like this for about £6000?

4. I believe the conversion price to be around £2500, plus labour for whoever does it?

5. So total cost is going to be around £9000?

6. If this is all correct, then is it worth it, or should I just buy something like this for £9000 and put some nice rims, tint windows and lower it etc?

I'm very fussy as to what I want, it has to be 3 door, silver, no more than 2litres (insurance reasons), no more than 40,000miles, not older than 5 years.

I think it would be easier to buy one from someone who has already modded it but as I am so fussy i can't see this happening unless mattandrew sells his! lol I plan to make my own stamp on it, but this is the base I want to start from.

Appreciate any feedback here, thanks. Please reply!:thumbsup:

Last edited:
You would be better getting a newer higher spec car if you can afford it an 06 s line would be the best base instead of an older one you need to spend money on just for the single grill

Welcome to the site.

Echo above aswell, better to buy a newer car with on already & then upgrade some parts, but where abouts are you as I'd be willing to help.

Thanks for the reply Simon, however on autotrader the starting price for the spec you mentioned is 11grand which is pushing my budget too far. 9 really is my limit, ideally it would be no more than 7!

Funkycliff managed to do this at a cost of under 4.5grand. Perhaps I should PM him?

Hmmm I can't seem to thank more than one person in this thread?!

NHN, i'm in Australia but will be back in Manchester, UK either Jan or Feb.

Was Funkycliff's a freak one off awesome deal or something?

Ok well best thing is to contact us when you're back tbh as I & I know others could assist you.

Sorry NHN, I think we keep posting at the same time!

Manchester, UK. Thanks

im in the middle of doing this mod:) and may sell car while after:)

madluke, i've just searched and found pics of your car, you've done a great job on it.

PM'd you.

there is a lot people here that did a lot more to their cars than me i can promise you:)

I know mate, but yours is perfect and once I get more into it I can start to do my own tweaks and mods on it, to make it my car.

Where's funkycliff lol?!

Hi Mark sorry for the late PM i was out djing at a New Years bash until 4.30 this morning and hit the pit at gone 7 anyways i picke up tips from all the fab guys here on ASN, i just got lucky when i bought my car off ebay the guy was getting a newer model of his dad and normally part exs his cars, i just made and offer and he accepted, there are deals to be had but a3s are holding prices well, i would love to have the cash to buy 06 plate s-line but i am more than happy making do with what i have, ust a shame its not a diesel, which if you got the cash i would go for that. The front end conversation wont cost a great deal if you go the cheaper option, chances are the bonnet you will have to buy brand new as you would probably find Bin Laden first before you find a second hand reasonably priced and if you have the money go S3 or s-line conversation my funds were limited so i couldnt go down that route, but i am planning to go s-line bumper and lights this year after lowering it.

I don't have a lot of funds either so the cheaper I can do it, the better.

Initially I thought I would have to spend about 9grand, but looking at yours, it can look awesome for a lot less!

Would you be kind enough to list what parts you bought please? Or even still, you could add them to your original thread incase other people do a search and want to reference it?

Cheers, oh an dont worry about late reply, i'm nightwatchman in a hostel in Australia at the moment, so its all good!

Hiya mate, i'd be prepared to do the conversion for you as long as you got the parts and had them painted before hand obviously!

I'd do it for diesel/food/beer tokens as it would be a full day out of my time. (manc is 1.5 hour drive up the M6 for me) I've done my own (thread on here somewhere similar to mattandrews) and one of my mates now. I'm a dab hand so let me know when your back from Oz

sweet man, i'll let you know what decide to do when I get back.

saw your thread, how much did that set you back?

What's the best I could do on about 7grand? If I wanted that grill, leather interior, rns thing, blacked out windows?

I wanna do more, but just wanna get an idea. I plan to get new pedals, led it all up etc. It all depends on what job I get when I get back, 7g's could turn to 10 or more depending....

Cheers
Mark

i would say spend alittle more on a slightly newer a3

from my experience the earlier a3's can have some nice expensive problems

i bought my a3 for 9k about 2 years ago and now after many problems with it i have probbaly spent another 4-5k fixing the ****** thing so i could have bought 14k car instead

really read this forum as much as you can bud because it save you a fortune in right decisions i wasnt so lucky and just bought one thinking it will amazing

good luck with it

thanks lex & crypric.

I just don't have that kind of money, I'd be getting a loan an I know even in worse case scenario (**** job) that I could pay back 200 a month easily for 3 years which totals 7000 ish.

As for the leather seats, they are already saved in my bookmarks. If by some miracle noone has snapped them up by the time I'm ready then it's a definite purchase.

Quick question whilst I have your attention.... What mileage would you recommend on 2nd hand car? I instinctively go for anything less than 50,000 because I'm thinkin when it comes to resale, I still want to be under the 100,000 mileage mark. Is this common for car buyers to want a car under 100,000 or because they are so well made now, do people not necessarily care too much so long as it has a FSH?

TBH I have a mate who bought a 86k A3 & its been fine except for a common coolant sensor fault, so far.

Had a quick look through this thread and cant see which A3 you are after ?
I had a couple of Cavaliers/company cars and both hit 200k miles. My neighbour had a Pigot 1.9 diesel as a driving school car and apart from a couple of clutches and a back box it cleared 200k miles no trouble. a quality car like an Audi should laugh in the face of 100k miles. People like LEX who spent £5k fixing a £9k car seem to crop up all to often on these threads and it would be interesting to know the detail.

Last edited:
Forgot about this thread, I made it when I was in Australia.

Can these prices be knocked down a bit now with it being about a year on?

not really tbh my old a3 is up for sale at around the 6k mark with the single grill already done