Not overly impressed with my DSGizzle

smudge_don

Reaction score
Great most of the time, but i do find it quite annoying sometimes!

For instance, when slowing to a roundabout or something, is usually drops into 2nd nicely, but then i go to pull away and because i haven't come to a complete stop, it pulls away in 2nd and does nothing for about a second, then a large thud and shoots off

Is this normal or something i should get Audi to look at? It's almost as if the clutch is holding off and then just dumped after a second or so

It hardly ever seems to change down into 1st, apart from when you stop compeltely, i'd much rather it changed down so i got a smoother acceleration from very slow

Any advice/help/similar cases welcome :meeting:

Apparently this is completely normal but :shutup2:

don't dare criticise DSG, it's a perfect invention from the even perfecter VAG group, absolutely faultless apart from the faults in the owner's imagination, one day everybody will have an annoying gearbox, and if you don't like it you don't deserve to die, let alone live*

*just thought I'd save several people typing.... :laugh:

How about one of these "DSG remaps", maybe that would help

Apparently this is completely normal but :shutup2:

don't dare criticise DSG, it's a perfect invention from the even perfecter VAG group, absolutely faultless apart from the faults in the owner's imagination, one day everybody will have an annoying gearbox, and if you don't like it you don't deserve to die, let alone live*

*just thought I'd save several people typing.... :laugh:

How about one of these "DSG remaps", maybe that would help

A DSG map? Or just a regular remap?

You don't seem to like DSG much :faint:

A DSG map? Or just a regular remap?

You don't seem to like DSG much :faint:

Apparently there is such a thing as a DSG map and apparently this sorts some of the wrinkles out :thumbsup:

I'm not the biggest DSG fan, no. It's a fine idea but what you describe is what I had. I can put up with a lot from a car - rattles, leaks, crappy materials, and so on...but funny gearbox behaviour, and being told to put up with it because "that's how they are" (what do I know, I'm just the f*****g customer who paid a fair chunk of money for the POS in the first place) is not my idea of good times. Not every ****** morning when I'm still half-asleep and haven't even finished my 3rd cuppa :gun2:

Mine was exactly the same when i got it (second hand) but not now. Not sure why but all thats changed is an AMD remap.

It seems to have fitted more my driving style now.

It should be dead smooth..If you haven't come to a stop and it clonks into gear then you have a problem. has its service been done ?
I have a 3.2 and strangely the engine remap did smooth the box out even more as just 017 says. Other than that it was a total waste of money.

Am i right in believing you can reset the box for a new driving style? As in it kind of adapts to how the car is being driven.

It should be dead smooth..If you haven't come to a stop and it clonks into gear then you have a problem. has its service been done ?
I have a 3.2 and strangely the engine remap did smooth the box out even more as just 017 says. Other than that it was a total waste of money.

Doesn't make any noise, just when your crawling along it likes to go directly into 2nd, whereas i'd like it to stay in 1st until about 10mph

So you go to pull away in 2nd and it sorta hesitates then a bit of a thud as it drops the clutch

Had its 1st service about 3000miles ago

sounds like you have a problem mate, i have a 2007 170 s-line dsg ans mine is so smooth, if im driving in D when i slow down at roundabouts etc it goes into second and as soon as i put my foot down to pully away it does with no hesatation, and the way you say it clunks into gear makes me think there is a problem, dont forget dsg's dnt use a clutch, only a tourque convertor which is fluid and gears so should be really smooth

sounds like you have a problem mate, i have a 2007 170 s-line dsg ans mine is so smooth, if im driving in D when i slow down at roundabouts etc it goes into second and as soon as i put my foot down to pully away it does with no hesatation, and the way you say it clunks into gear makes me think there is a problem, dont forget dsg's dnt use a clutch, only a tourque convertor which is fluid and gears so should be really smooth

Eh ? no clutch and a Torque converter.........I think not.

The whole point of DSG is it has 2 clutches and no fluid drive . Its not an Auto., its semi auto in so much as its a auto operated manual box.

Eh ? no clutch and a Torque converter.........I think not.

The whole point of DSG is it has 2 clutches and no fluid drive . Its not an Auto., its semi auto in so much as its a auto operated manual box.

:uhm: ah u learn somet new every day lol, didnt relise the dsg was like that i thought it worked the same as a auto, ah well cheers for clearing that up, as said tho mine is rly smooth and doest react like yours

Surely there's some sort of software upgrade that makes the DSG smoother...

i beleive there is but i think only a few compqny offer this, something im going to look into further once if done a few other things first

As navnayyar said before, Revo has a 2 stages remap for DSG. For the moment the remap is available only for 2.0 TFSI but they are working on a remap for the TDI's too. I am interested to get such a remap and I've asked the local dealer so count me in as soon as it becomes available.
From what I was told, you can ask them to make some more adjustments to the program, other than those offered.
I would like for D mode to keep the current settings for 1st and 2nd gears but I would like the 3rd, 4th and so on to engage only from 2000 RPM up. Also if the revs drop below 1400 RPM, it should change to a lower gear. Only 1st and 2nd to be allowed to run at low RPM.

Jordan TBH mate you've had the car for what a week or so, its an auto overall & its a slightly different driving style than manual, just use the car for a while & learn the difference in driving then you'll find its actually fine to drive, just give yourself time to adjust, personally I love it.

Am i right in believing you can reset the box for a new driving style? As in it kind of adapts to how the car is being driven.

I remember reading something about this that there is some 'brain' inside there which adapts to your driving style.

I suppose it must be possible to reboot it and then start from scratch.

When I had mine first it did seem to improve with time.

Once you're used to it I think you won't look back.

See Niges post above +1

Your DSG will remember 20 driving styles. give it time, like most great relationships.....you both have to get used to each other. :wub: Love will bloom in the new year...................should i be looking at hats ?

Last edited:
See Niges post above +1

Your DSG will remember 20 driving styles. give it time, like most great relationships.....you both have to get used to each other. :wub: Love will bloom in the new year...................should i be looking at hats ?

I agree, my DSG is silky smooth. My box is only 2 years old though, so may have a later software revision. I understand some people just don't click with auto boxes, but DSG is as good as it gets!

As for a posh hat, do you think a man of your "stature" can pull it off? :laugh:

Mine has just had a software upgrade from Audi. It seemed fine before with no jerking problems. Only improvement I have noticed is that it now doesn't change up to 6th gear in town traffic at 30mph. Seems to wait until about 40mph. It is very smooth all the time, quick power at take-off - and if you want to be dropping gears for a roundabout either flick into sport mode or across to manual...that what this 'box is all about.

Jordan TBH mate you've had the car for what a week or so, its an auto overall & its a slightly different driving style than manual, just use the car for a while & learn the difference in driving then you'll find its actually fine to drive, just give yourself time to adjust, personally I love it.

Ye i was thinking this, i hope it is just a matter of time and not a problem

You'll see what i'm on about later today when i'm over :)

See Niges post above +1

:salute: ta paddy

As for hats, i see you as more of a manbag kinda guy :lmfao:

Does it actually remember different driving styles? Would explain why it wouldn't drop into 4th gear at 30mph the other day around town when usually it drops around 2000rpm

It seems to be luck of the draw as to whether you get a decent DSG box or not.

I have the same problems as you and have taken it to Audi a number of times. I spent £120 having them look into it and resetting the learnt values of the box but there was no difference afterwards. Audi say it's normal and there are no problems so I don't recommend taking it to them.

One of the most annoying things I find is when you slow down and it disengages gear, you then accelerate and it kind of semi-engages the gear again, and no matter how gently I apply the accelerator bearing in mind it's not in gear, it slams fully into gear after a delay :keule:

I think the only way forward is to look into a remap but I'd need to know it would sort these issues out before spending my money on one...

TBH I think Jordans car is fine, had a blast in today, to me it seems to have been mapped already given the pokiness of it, maybe thats a 170 for yer, which may explain the driving sensations he is mentioning, but as already said, he needs to settle in & learn how to drive the DSG as its certainly no manual, it took me a while to get used to but I think its great now, no poxy clutch to worry about or gear changes, definitely the way forward for all cars.

I will say though he did have a bit of vibration from engine in any selector position whilst standing which maybe gearbox related, whether D, N or P & a noise from belt area which maybe a pulley or tensioner, but audi warranty so should be ok, overall its a fine car & I look forward to assisting further with zee mods.

He now is wetting himself over the RNS-E I installed for him earlier, enjoy Jordan me old mukka, he's a good chap & a pleasure to help out.

TBH I think Jordans car is fine, had a blast in today, to me it seems to have been mapped already given the pokiness of it, maybe thats a 170 for yer, which may explain the driving sensations he is mentioning, but as already said, he needs to settle in & learn how to drive the DSG as its certainly no manual, it took me a while to get used to but I think its great now, no poxy clutch to worry about or gear changes, definitely the way forward for all cars.

I will say though he did have a bit of vibration from engine in any selector position whilst standing which maybe gearbox related, whether D, N or P & a noise from belt area which maybe a pulley or tensioner, but audi warranty so should be ok, overall its a fine car & I look forward to assisting further with zee mods.

He now is wetting himself over the RNS-E I installed for him earlier, enjoy Jordan me old mukka, he's a good chap & a pleasure to help out.

Did i ask you for an acceptance speech :p

Nah thanks very much for your help, you know i appreciate it as always, shame that bald tosser in the Rover ruined our perfect night:keule:

Did i ask you for an acceptance speech :p

Nah thanks very much for your help, you know i appreciate it as always, shame that bald tosser in the Rover ruined our perfect night:keule:

No, but you got one, lmfao.

Yes I know its appreciated & yes I do find it very strange about Mr Rover, acted rather stupidly, never mind.