Clutch !!!!!!!

gingers3

Reaction score
will stage 1 revo eat my oem clutch on my 57 plate S3 with 11k miles ????

not straight away no, but it might over a long period of time, say 50k miles or so.

Remaps alone wont dictate what happens to your clutch, driving style plays much more of a part.

my 57 s3 was revo remapped over a year ago and has had no clutch problems, up to 22k miles in total and 12000 miles since the remap.

As the guy above me says, clutch life is quite dependant on driving style, if you do loads of full bore standing starts you're going to kill the clutch, as will accelerating in a high gear from a low speed not really appropriate for that gear.

my ed30 had stage 1 so i know how to drive to maximize clutch life , had the ed30 2 years and done 8 k miles so you think ill be ok in the S3 ?
any one had clutch problems after stage 1 ?

any one had clutch problems after stage 1 ?

Yep.
Had a few occasions where it slipped but it has Ok for a while now. Not sure how it remedied itsef but for now its fine.
It would appear that they are more prone to slip when the car is still a bit cold.
Its a bit of a lottery with VAG clutches and DMFs. There are guys running Stage 2+ long term on OEM clutch without any problems, and others with failed units on stock cars.

Good question, but IMO there is no definative answer Im afraid.

My advice would be to go REVO and cross your fingers.

Good luck.:icon_thumright:
Paul

what year is your car candy, there was an upgrade at 08 fron LUK to SACHS which look like they are a bit stronger, but like everyone has said its down to driving style and pot-luck, mines gettin close to 20k, been mapped since 900miles,stg2+ for about 7k now I think, but I'm aware of the weakness and never load the car in a high gear with large throttle openings, IMO this is the killer and worse than standing starts, but in the end you have to use the car ;)

yeah my m8 has a 07plate S3 20k on the clock was fine standard then had it remaped revo stage 1, he was like the clutch is startin to slip when cold, i was like eye rite!!! took me out in it the other day he was rite 3k starts to slip! i have a 08 S3 with 20k on the clock,giac stage 1 ran the 1/4mile all day given it death with NO problems what so ever and still goin strong!!:yes:

it was deffo an upgrade, and I think it will cope at stg1 , but I think stg2+ the std clutch is always on borrowed time, but thats not what the OP asked. Couldn't help myself though, sayin that a stg1 S3 is a really nice car to drive.

cheers every one , gaz , my car is dec 07 57 plate so may not have the sachs clutch , i m going custom code stage 1 i think , dont mind having to replace the clutch really but dont want the heavy pedal and judder that most performance clutch s bring

mine is a september 2007 built car, and like I said above, the clutch is still fine.

yeah my m8 has a 07plate S3 20k on the clock was fine standard then had it remaped revo stage 1, he was like the clutch is startin to slip when cold, i was like eye rite!!! took me out in it the other day he was rite 3k starts to slip! i have a 08 S3 with 20k on the clock,giac stage 1 ran the 1/4mile all day given it death with NO problems what so ever and still goin strong!!:yes:

thats mine he is talkin about :rock: it will slip if i accelerate hard in 4th from 2500RPM it will slip at just over 3000RPM but after it has done it once or twice during a journey the slippage stops, think once it heats up its fine, strange one :laugh: i have a perfromance sachs clutch waiting in the box for when i go stage 2+ so aint that bothered about a tiny bit of slip.
I think the reason the REVO slips is because of how aggresive the car is low down compared to Pauls GIAC remap. We were talkin about it the other day we are bothing making similar power yet my car with the REVO feels faster as it pulls much harder low down, im guessing thats why the clutch slips as there is a huge load on the clutch at 3000RPM as that is where the torque is at its highest. I was also thinking Pauls has the OEM Sachs unit as his is an 08?? My driving style is totaly different to Paul tho, he is more content to drive around off boost all day and get 30+MPG where as i tend to boost around everywhere i go and get an average 18MPG :laugh: Your clutch life all depends on how you drive as mentioned above. If you want it to last with high power dont put alot of load on it e.g. accelerating from low revs in a high gear, launching etc.

Davie