Volks AutosEM Tuning
    Reverse Gear

Status

Opinion on 1.6 FSI S-Line 56 Plate

Hi

I am looking for opinion on buying my next car 1.6 FSI S-Line 2006 model.
    Whats its like? I know its cheap to Insure but is it economical and is it quick?

Is it worth buying?
    What do you think?

2. # ADS
    ADS

automatic

Status
    Everything that people here have said about the 1.6 points to it being a slow boring turd of an engine my dad used to have a 2.0 FSi and it was pretty uninspiring, I must admit.

However, the only way to know for sure, is to drive it yourself. Whether or not you'll be satisfied in the long run is hard to tell from a short test drive, but at least you won't be like "oh no, what did I buy this for" as soon as you drive away
    Still loving the 130i like the sideways dirtbag I am

Now running on Bentley's y'all

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by sh4q View Post
    is it quick?
    Hell no. 115bhp in something as lardy as an A3 is bordering on being dangerously slow. It's pretty much the slowest A3 8P ever produced.
    A3 3.2 V6 S-Line | Brilliant Black | Full Votex Kit | 18" Cades Bern / 19" Bentley 5 Spokes in flat grey with 215/35 Falkens | Custom Code Remap
    V-Maxx coilovers | Remus exhaust | Pipercross Viper | Goodridge Brake Lines | RNS-E | Bluetooth | FBMFSW
    Previous VAGs: 99 S4 Biturbo | 06 Golf GT TDI | 08 A4 S-Line TDI PD140 | 02 Passat 4.0 W8
    Other toy: Suzuki GSX-R750 K3 Black/Silver

Leather arm rest for sale | S3 mirror covers for sale | 09 3dr tail lights wanted | Twin grills wanted PM me!

Reverse Gear

Status
    Yeh thats what I thought, Ive got a choice of either going for 1.6 Fsi s line or 2.0 TDI S line but only thing that might let me down on the TDi is the engine noise compared with the Fsi. Another one Ive looked at 2.0 TFSI DSG S line, very quick but not economical.

automatic

Status
    A new one is something like 102 bhp. Hold on to your wigs!

automatic

Status
    Yeh thats what I thought, Ive got a choice of either going for 1.6 Fsi s line or 2.0 TDI S line but only thing that might let me down on the TDi is the engine noise compared with the Fsi. Another one Ive looked at 2.0 TFSI DSG S line, very quick but not economical.
    The diesel sounds like a tractor and the 1.6 like a fart in a bean tin. So for nice noises you're looking in the wrong place...

...2.0 TFSi. Be good to yourself...

Status
    I'd take the rattle and the extra bhp.

Although the TDI isnt' that quick, it's torquey and has a turbo so feels quicker than it is.
    A3 3.2 V6 S-Line | Brilliant Black | Full Votex Kit | 18" Cades Bern / 19" Bentley 5 Spokes in flat grey with 215/35 Falkens | Custom Code Remap
    V-Maxx coilovers | Remus exhaust | Pipercross Viper | Goodridge Brake Lines | RNS-E | Bluetooth | FBMFSW
    Previous VAGs: 99 S4 Biturbo | 06 Golf GT TDI | 08 A4 S-Line TDI PD140 | 02 Passat 4.0 W8

Leather arm rest for sale | S3 mirror covers for sale | 09 3dr tail lights wanted | Twin grills wanted PM me!

automatic

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by V6Pete View Post
    Although the TDI isnt' that quick, it's torquey and has a turbo so feels quicker than it is.
    Feels quicker? Come on now, have a read of the internet...everyone knows a diesel A3 is a road-melting beast; Those Civic Type R's don't have a chance

1st Gear

Status
    i got a 1.6 fsi and round town its quick enough if you keep the revs up (30-35mpg) but on the motorway it hasn't got much pull

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by HotboxDeluxe View Post
    Feels quicker? Come on now, have a read of the internet...everyone knows a diesel A3 is a road-melting beast; Those Civic Type R's don't have a chance

Careful, I always seem to get in trouble for winding up diesel lovers...

automatic

Status
    Between 'winding up' and 'just telling the bloody truth' is a very thin line Pete

Reverse Gear

Status
    So what do you recommend? looking for one that is quick and economical from 1.6 fsi sline, 2.0 tfsi s line and 2.0 TDI s line?
    Is it easy enough to remap 2.0 TDI and 1.6 fsi? and will it make a lot of difference?

Status
    So what do you recommend? looking for one that is quick and economical from 1.6 fsi sline, 2.0 tfsi s line and 2.0 TDI s line?
    Is it easy enough to remap 2.0 TDI and 1.6 fsi? and will it make a lot of difference?
    It depends what you mean by economical - I get between 22 and 30mpg from my 3.2 which is economical enough for me. But other people might find anything less than 50mpg unacceptable.

It also depends what you mean by quick - the only car I have driven that felt properly quick was a Dodge Viper, but that wouldn't be so good on fuel.

It's all a compromise, but generally anything with a turbo, diesel or petrol will be better on fuel than a naturally aspirated engine with similar power.

A 2.0 TDI can be remapped and will make it feel quicker. Mapping a 1.6 FSI would be like putting sexy underwear on Heather from Eastenders. Fine in theory, but really ain't gonna make all that much difference.

If you want a balance between power and economy, it sounds like a TDI is the way to go for you.

1st Gear

Status
    i think with a remap on a 1.6 fsi you get a extra 12hp

Reverse Gear

Status
    I'd like a a3 that is quicker than my previous cars which was BMW e46 140bhp and audi a3 1.6 sport which was 102bhp but both were not economical.
    From what I checked with 2.0 TFSi which give 200bhp, combined its 38mpg and 47mpg on motorway - seems to be good compared with the TDI its 51mpg combined.

Status
    I'd like a a3 that is quicker than my previous cars which was BMW e46 140bhp and audi a3 1.6 sport which was 102bhp but both were not economical.
    From what I checked with 2.0 TFSi which give 200bhp, combined its 38mpg and 47mpg on motorway - seems to be good compared with the TDI its 51mpg combined.
    Don't believe that fuel consumption from the 2.0 TFSI. I've driven both an Octavia vRS and Scirocco 2.0 TFSI, and in average driving I got about 25-30mpg.

If you've had a 140bhp E46, how on earth is a 115bhp A3 going to feel quicker?

It's always a compromise between performance and economy. You need to decide which is most important, and what is reasonable to you.

If you want it to feel quicker than your previous cars, get a 2.0 TFSI. If you want better economy buy a 2.0 TDI.

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ru4shaw View Post
    i think with a remap on a 1.6 fsi you get a extra 12hp
    mmmm, I'd take those figures with a pinch of salt along with manufacturers MPG figures LOL
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport