1.4 TFSi...bad idea?

HotboxDeluxe

automatic
Reaction score
Just curious really (not pondering a near-future addition, honest) but does anybody have experience of the 1.4 in the 8P?

I know it's only 120-odd bhp, but it doesn't have to be fast. Quiet and economical round town will do, as long as it's got enough poke to get out of its own way (which is sort of why I'm not even asking about the 1.6) then all concerned should be satisfied...

Any thoughts, gentlefolk?

I find my TDI a little too fast for what I need living in london, but can't complain at all! 40MPG comute to work makes me love it even more.

Now I'd probably consider a 1.4T as a quite but class runabout.

Now I'd probably consider a 1.4T as a quite but class runabout.

That's why I'm considering :search: it would be basically a town car but needs a bit of room and a few nice bits. I liked my A3 and thought it was a good car but driving it drove me up the wall unfortunately. Since I wouldn't be driving this one really...no problem. The wife never noticed the "DSG swing" that drove me insane, and an A3 SB has more than enough room for us for the next 3 years.

Unless we have quadruplets :haha:

That's why I'm considering :search: it would be basically a town car but needs a bit of room and a few nice bits. I liked my A3 and thought it was a good car but driving it drove me up the wall unfortunately. Since I wouldn't be driving this one really...no problem. The wife never noticed the "DSG swing" that drove me insane, and an A3 SB has more than enough room for us for the next 3 years.

Unless we have quadruplets :haha:

What is this DSG swing that you speak of? :think:

At sub-town speeds, any sort of throttle variation would seem to confuse the gearbag into not knowing what to do - i.e approach a roundabout say 30 in 3rd gear, come off the accelerator a bit while checking, apply gentle throttle to go onto the roundabout still doing about 20...and then f**k-all for a second while it decides to drop down into first and boost me over the roundabout and into the car in front like a ****** learner.

At higher speeds the DSG was like butter, I can't deny that. But my daily commute involves quite a bit of low-speed city stuff and I can't drive one of these:
HK_Sunday_Wan_Chai_Park_Playground_.jpg

I would assume the new 7-speeder is improved a bit...no matter, A3 didn't drive my wife mental like it did me, so it's still in the running :thumbsup:

i just bought the a3 2010 1.4 s-tronic and im really pleased:) it gives you a good kick from around 1500-3000 so its perfect for city use. And with 125 turbo and a chip when you in 2 years are bored its will give you 170bhp :)

norway

At sub-town speeds, any sort of throttle variation would seem to confuse the gearbag into not knowing what to do - i.e approach a roundabout say 30 in 3rd gear, come off the accelerator a bit while checking, apply gentle throttle to go onto the roundabout still doing about 20...and then f**k-all for a second while it decides to drop down into first and boost me over the roundabout and into the car in front like a ****** learner.

At higher speeds the DSG was like butter, I can't deny that. But my daily commute involves quite a bit of low-speed city stuff and I can't drive one of these:
HK_Sunday_Wan_Chai_Park_Playground_.jpg

I would assume the new 7-speeder is improved a bit...no matter, A3 didn't drive my wife mental like it did me, so it's still in the running :thumbsup:

LMFAO :lmfao:

I get what you mean now, it is a tad annoying

One i find bad is when your slowing to a stop at traffic lights, and they change just before you completely stop, you go to pull away and it's still in 2nd :mad:

i just bought the a3 2010 1.4 s-tronic and im really pleased:) it gives you a good kick from around 1500-3000 so its perfect for city use. And with 125 turbo and a chip when you in 2 years are bored its will give you 170bhp :)

norway

Thanks Norway! :o.k: I think as long as it feels zippy round town and can manage 200 km/h then the lady driver I have in mind should be satisfied

No prob! I bought it because I hate the diesel sound.

Tried the 1.4 tfsi and its sounds great and even more with a k&n open airfilter :)

I don't like the diesel noise either :wacko: yuck!

I'm not totally prejudiced against tractor fuel, but if I don't need one, why pay the extra :shrug:

go for the retro look and pick a nice little A2 if you want a city runaround!

ha ha, the most overpriced piece of rubbish Audi has ever made you mean? It like a Daewoo inside, only thing that feels remotely Audi about the interior is the badge on the steering wheel!

ha ha, the most overpriced piece of rubbish Audi has ever made you mean? It like a Daewoo inside, only thing that feels remotely Audi about the interior is the badge on the steering wheel!

...well i like them.... :(

ok...ok...i'll get my goat....

The Audi A1 is due out soon....?

...yep...i know, i'm going!

go for the retro look and pick a nice little A2 if you want a city runaround!

Hmmm :think:

I reckon the A2 is alright, sort of. I find they look very cool in S-line spec with the big wheels :tapedshut:

However, although not a car snob whatsoever, my darling wifey's first words out of her head would be something like "Thankyou for the car sweetheart, but why do you hate me enough to make me drive around the place in a f*****g phone box" (in German)

I was thinking about leasing a new one, up to a certain price I can get a very good monthly and a killer rebate :happy: plus after 3 years I can chuck it back before it majorly breaks and get her something else, more fun with catalogues and online configurators :noway:

And, brownie point upon brownie point for the nice new Audi or BMW. Win!
So far for the hypothetical budget would get a well-specced 1 series / okay 3 series, and the same idea A3 / A4. 1 series is pretty much out - I've got one and I love it but we don't need another one, bit more boot space would be nice too!

My own favourite for 'her car' would be a cooper clubman decked out with nice things; but she hates them :lmfao:

Just curious really (not pondering a near-future addition, honest) but does anybody have experience of the 1.4 in the 8P?

I know it's only 120-odd bhp, but it doesn't have to be fast. Quiet and economical round town will do, as long as it's got enough poke to get out of its own way (which is sort of why I'm not even asking about the 1.6) then all concerned should be satisfied...

Any thoughts, gentlefolk?

So the A3 is available in RWD now?

My mum has got a mk 5 Golf with this engine and I think it is great- smooth, responsive, economical 45 mpg (miles miles better than the 1.6 and unless you do a lot of miles a better bet than the TDi options

So the A3 is available in RWD now?

fwd_sux.jpg

Read some more of the words :readit: I've hardly mentioned BMWs :asskicking:
The A3 is a fine car, as long as I don't have to drive the b*****d every day. My dear Mrs is not so snobby as my good self regarding matters of which wheels are entitled to have driveshafts :beee:

I'm still ecstatic with my car choice - but at some point in 2010 there will be an addition, not a replacement :yes:

Last edited:
fwd_sux.jpg

Read some more of the words :readit: I've hardly mentioned BMWs :asskicking:
The A3 is a fine car, as long as I don't have to drive the b*****d every day. My dear Mrs is not so snobby as my good self regarding matters of which wheels are entitled to have driveshafts :beee:

I'm still ecstatic with my car choice - but at some point in 2010 there will be an addition, not a replacement :yes:

C`mon, you dont have to pretend to buy another AUDI to come on here for a chat, you know that HB.......:friends:...:)

Audi or not, I'm staying :p

Only the hand of Mod can remove me now mwhahahaha, and since I've learned to swear in an Audi-Sport.net acceptable fashion, chances are I'm here f*****g forevaaaahhhhh

:jester:

Good try Paul, we need to try another angle, perhaps we all leave and then HBD will be on his own rambling on about BMW's....

"Did you know the BMW Headquarters are in Munich near a big hill with a cross on it" ......yawn...yes.

Only kidding, wouldn't be the same without you chief, made me feel more welcome here than a lot of the Audi owners did when I was a newbie!

Good try Paul, we need to try another angle, perhaps we all leave and then HBD will be on his own rambling on about BMW's....

"Did you know the BMW Headquarters are in Munich near a big hill with a cross on it" ......yawn...yes.

Only kidding, wouldn't be the same without you chief, made me feel more welcome here than a lot of the Audi owners did when I was a newbie!

Ok, guess your right B, if we do have to have a token BM owner around for the crack (or balance dare I say it???) then I suppose it has to be HB! :beerchug:

(The beer glass smiley just remined me me I havent had a drink for 2 days..:sos:)

cheers
Paul

Aw thanks men, I'm happy to be the token crack balancer, or something :happy:

:beerchug: dry for 2.5 days now! (in 27 hours I plan on sinking my first Czech beer at bargain Czech prices - Happy New Year!)

Ι`ve been an owner of a 1.4TFSI for around a year and a half now and i`m pretty pleased.
I`ve never owned a Diesel to do a comparison -we are not allowed to buy diesels where i live!!-

It`s an easy to use town car, with the ability to do trips with no problem at all. 125 isn`t that much, but my previous car was a Passat 1.6 with 102 BHP so yeah 125 is an improvement for me :)

Got some torque between 1600-3500 rpm and that`s it. You can overtake, no question there :)
I cant really tell if it is better than the TDI`s but in town i get around 9-10 L/100km (you do the math with your MPG values :)) and for a 200 km trip with normal speeds between 120-130 km/h i get around 7 L/100km

Hope this helps

Aw thanks men, I'm happy to be the token crack balancer, or something :happy:

:beerchug: dry for 2.5 days now! (in 27 hours I plan on sinking my first Czech beer at bargain Czech prices - Happy New Year!)

Prague? Cool.
Done the Stag do thing there about 5 years ago and its an epic place.
Something for everyone thats for sure.

Remember going into a quiet back street pub for a beer (about 20 of us), it was way less than a quid for a beer and you had to take your own glass back for a refill as there wasnt enough glasses in the place, (or people to collect them for that matter.
Reckon the owner took 1 weeks takings in 2 hrs that day!
Get onto the main drag though(pardon the pun) and its UK prices all the way.
If you like Prague, try Bratislava :beerchug:

(Sorry guys, bit off topic)

Enjoy anyway.

Cheers
Paul

Last edited:
Got some torque between 1600-3500 rpm and that`s it. You can overtake, no question there :)
I cant really tell if it is better than the TDI`s but in town i get around 9-10 L/100km (you do the math with your MPG values :)) and for a 200 km trip with normal speeds between 120-130 km/h i get around 7 L/100km

Hope this helps

That sounds very similar to my ex-diesel, and I found that cheap to run. I can't work out l/100 km to MPG either, I let the car do the maths. So I can expect diesel-ish mpg without the horrible noise, cool :thumbsup:

it was way less than a quid for a beer and you had to take your own glass back for a refill as there wasnt enough glasses in the place, (or people to collect them for that matter.
Reckon the owner took 1 weeks takings in 2 hrs that day!
Get onto the main drag though(pardon the pun) and its UK prices all the way.
If you like Prague, try Bratislava :beerchug:

My neighbour said something about a tranny show :laugh:

I'm just going for some bargain drinks, good eatin' and something different on New Years. If we go to see the chicks-with-dicks show it'll be the wife's idea :haha:

Cheers m8