Clever windscreen wipers - or bust?

I

imported_katetodd

When I took my new A3 into have a new alloy - the varnish flaked, so they replaces the alloy, I asked them to have a look at my windscreen wipers.

It was a very wet day, so had the wipers on constant, but they when I stopped at a junction, the wipers stopped. So all the way home, I kept stopping - and so did the wipers! The service department looked at me like I was stupid, and said they would take a look. They did just that, then rang Audi UK, and it seems that that is they way they work! No one in the service department knew of this 'feature' on the new A3

Has anyone else noticed their wipers stopping when they stop the car?

A3 2.0 TDI DSG

Stopping? Nope, they should just go to interval mode when you stop the car.

- Yak

I don't know but it sounds quite possible that they go into int mode when the car is stationary. Merc's do it, I know that.

All BMWs do it since at least E36 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Took a bit longer from Audi /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

- Yak

The front wipers do go into intermittent when you stop. The rear one comes on when you stick the car in reverse if your windscreen wipers are on.

The windscreen wipers also switch between sides of the blade when parked to avoid bending. Now that's clever - used to do that manually on other cars.

Yeah I agree they are clever wipers. Another thing I noticed is that when you switch off the ignition with the wipers half way up the windscreen they return to their original position instead of staying where they are.

However, no matter how clever they are, if you leave them on, turn off the ignition, then restart the car, they won't continue whipping. Right, a good idea, but why does the back windscreen wiper still work when you put reverse on?

It's a killer combination at winters, when wipers are frozen, it can kill the motor instantly.

- Yak

The wipers alternate parked position so that the blades change the direction they sit in against the glass, it's supposed to improve the life of the blade.

Yeah, but it doesn't happen everytime.. or does it?-) I only notice it once in a while, not everytime I stop the car.

- Yak

sheeesh you UK chaps are wiper obsessed :p
i've had my TDI for two months now and i've barely used it - but then again it has hardly rained here in Johannesburg /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Zoop, we're not obsessed, it's just that this is Britain! it's a wonder our wipers don't give up the ghost so quick with all this RAIN we're flippin gettin!

Mine (non-rain sensing) do this. Useful at times, annoying at others - when the screen is clean after the 3rd wipe, and then get's smudged by the 3rd!

And as Gareth said about the wiper's althernating parked position. I don't know either how often they are suppose to do this.

I found mine did this too..
Here's the deal....

Switch on while driving = intemittent when stopped.
Switch on while stationary = on all the time (like normal)

easy really!