Badger5EM Tuning
    Reverse Gear

Status

Revo stage 2+ : Intercoolers?

Question really for the S3 guys on here running revo stage 2+ in the UK.

Does anybody have an additional or replacement intercooler?
    e.g. Forge / ARP

Is there any noticable performace increase, which one do you have and was it worth the money?
    I have been told that it will make a big difference in summer in the UK, but I would like to hear peoples own opinions.
    Last edited by R7SAN; 28th December 2009 at 18:20. Reason: spelling !!

2. # ADS
    ADS

1st Gear

Status
    i heard the standard S3 intercooler was good for stage2+??
    GIAC pump & race map WITH CONTROLER, VF ITAKE ,AUTOTECH HPFP,MV DOWNPIPE & MILTEK CAT BK,RS4 REG,UPRATED OEM DV, CUSTOM ENGINE COVER, BOOST GAUGE & POD, H&R SPRINGS, OEM BLACK WHEELS, FORGE CATCH TANK AND WASHER BOTTLE ,RNS-E SAT NAV BLUETOOTH,FLAT BOTTOM, BUCKETS,PRE-FACE TAILLIGHTS TINTS

5th Gear

Status
    Decked and TobyCruse have the ProAlloy unit - better than the Forge from what I've read. Do a search - there's a full write-up somewhere. Lots of people have the Forge - and many have the OEM unit. All of us are showing the same (roughly) power though - around 360 - 370bhp (though both Decked and Toby were just over 370 so maybe that's the effect of the better intercooler).
    Phantom Black S3, RNS-E with SDS Hack , BOSE, Sunroof, iPod, ITG CAI, Forge DV, Milltek TBE, Revo Stage 2+, Autotech HPFP, Sachs clutch, Lamin-X, BBS Pescaras, H&R springs, H&R ARBs, NGK Iridium Plugs, Vagcom.

3rd Gear

Status
    The S3 intercooler is already a good piece of kit. But the flow on the pro-alloy is vastly improved, very smooth/clean drive and the engine feels really free.
    The APR isn't that much of a change over the standard unit, it's more of an upgrade for the Golf/Cupra.
    In the summer I can still run very aggressive revo settings without the ECU pulling the timing, so it's doing the job. Temp wise, the inlet temp is a lot lower with an upgraded intercooler (original test results).

OEM Intercooler Results
    Ambient Temp 26C
    Inlet manifold Temp 36C

Pro Alloy Intercooler Results
    Ambient Temp 26C
    Inlet manifold Temp 28C

As the ambient temp rises the pro-alloy kit performs really well!
    I've not seen any tests done with the forge kit, and it wouldn't fit a facelift S3 so wasn't an option for me.

Meteor S3, APR Stage 3, APR HPFP, Milltek TBE, LOBA/Sach's Clutch, Bilstein PSS10's, H&R ARB, Gen4 Haldex PP, EVOM's DV & CAI, Forge TB with Pro-Alloy IC, BBS CK 19" My S3

Reverse Gear

Status
    I bought the THS intercooler for my S3. Im running Revo Stage 2+
    It def helps with the cooling and recovery . I noticed a massive increase on top end speeds . Especially when accelerating.

Its summer in South Africa now .. so we are experiencing temps between 28-35 Degrees celcius. the only thing keeping my performance back is the fuel quality

Phantom black S3/

Status
    I have the Forge Twincooler and I must say that its a VERY VERY good upgrrade, well worth the money. I am very satisfied, and I can say that the car pulls much much better in 4,5 and especially in 6. gear. Very satisfied with forge.
    Phantom Black S3/ APR stg 2+ / Forge CAI / APR HPFP / Miltek TBE / Forge DV / Forge Catch Tank / Forge T. body / VF Engine mounts / ECS EM / KW V3 / 19" BBS CH "Black" / 18" Team Dynamics Motorsort / Denso Iridium IK24 / Forge Twincooler / Helix Race Clutch + Flywheel / H&R ARBs / JVC Multimedia + TV Tuner / Kicker sound system over 3,000W RMS / TT-RS Steering wheel / Whiteline Anti-lift kit / Brembo Porsche GT2 BBK / soon: RECARO POLE POSITION SEATS,

Reverse Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DeckedS3 View Post
    The S3 intercooler is already a good piece of kit. But the flow on the pro-alloy is vastly improved, very smooth/clean drive and the engine feels really free.
    The APR isn't that much of a change over the standard unit, it's more of an upgrade for the Golf/Cupra.
    So the APR IC is not better than the standard S3 one? It looks bigger and has the same size as the THS cooler. has anyone compare them? I am very interested in this info bcause I ordered an APR IC today.