Petrol Cap Sticking

Simonc6875

Reaction score
Went to fill up petrol today and struggled to open the petrol cap. I pushed it in expecting it to pop out, but it just stayed in. I managed to open it by sticking something/the key in the gap to pop it open.

Is this common problem or i thought just due to the cold weather?

Dont quote me on this.

But it could be some fuel that got caught in the screw part and then has frozen due to the cold weather. That sounds like the most sensible thing that could of happened. I shouldn't worry about it. I think maybe just make sure that you keep it clean after putting fuel in :)

mine was frozen shut last week, there had been alot of rain and the rain turned to ice when it dropped below zero degrees at night. When i took a trip to the petrol station i struggled to get the flap open as it had alot of ice build up around it. Its fine now that there has been less heavy frost

Davie

I wouldn't have said it was frozen shut. Just when you push it in and it should pop out, it just stays in.

I will just put it down to being the cold weather just now, will wait till the snow and ice goes and see if it's still happening.

mine is doing the same, its like the catch is slow.

Push in flap........wait..........give it a tap........wait........pop....and open.

Its definatley nothing to do with the weather mines been doing it for a few weeks.

Warrenty job for the dealer.

Mines doing the same! Only way you can open it is by pushing the hinged end! Let me know how you get on!

mine started doing this a few months ago.. I found the emergency pull thing on the right side of the boot (its in the manual). Did it every other time I filled up, and now it opens fine every single time, just doesn't lock! :think:

Check solenoid is working, leave the flap open & lock/unlock car & see if pin moves across & back, if not then could be wiring, fuse or the solenoid itself.

RAPS3 - thats exactly whats happening. Just found its worse in the colder weather. i've no problem with it locking, i gave that a check and the pin shoots out when the central locking is on.

Haven't had a good chance to have a good look at it, as wanted to give car a good wash first but due to this lovely Bl**dy snow, thats on hold due to frozen water pipe to the garage.

had same problem the other week,sticking.. thou it wasn't solenoid on mine it was the cap retaining thread.It had forced the cover to a different angle,seizing the lock,bit of messing to open then i removed the thread.been alright since. As for ice in the area check the drain hole is clear by poking some wire into it. On a similar story my doors freeze shut unless i wipe the edges dry before i put it to sleep,solved this by adding vaseline to the rubber edging,looks messy but works,you don't need much but needs to be along the whole edge.

My doors freeze shut as well along with the petrol cap sticking, been back into audi several times for this, they have adjusted the door hinges so they fit "more snuggly" but again this morning the rear doors were froze shut (only -2 last night).

Phoned them this morning and they are having car in again next week to look at again.

Very frustrating as I have to pour warm water on doors to release them, did advise Audi that if a window breaks it's down to them!

Yep, Mines the same been like it for a few weeks, but it has got worse since the cold weather began. I have to tap it to get it to free up, my cap looks like it is off centre as it looks closer to the catch side than the hinge, I wonder if it is easy to adjust the position, mind you Audi can worry about that when I phone them on Monday (if they are open).

I'm not sure what 'inch' means by the the "cap retaining thread" can anyone explain please.

Ta
Phil

Hmph, i had this last night! Was running on vapours, pulled into the station to fuel up, and what do you know...the mofo wouldnt open! I was very pee'd off, so just got home as quick as i could with the minimal amount of fuel i had left. By the time i then got home, noticed the cap had then popped out. GRrrrrr

Mines done it before, i just pushed it on the hinged end and it popped out, I also blamed it on the frost, my doors also frozen up, its scary opening them because on older previous cars I have ripped the door seal open!

When my doors freeze up no matter how hard I pull the doors they just dont open, you can see the bottom 99% of the door is open but the top seal is just solid and wont budge, one day the door handle is going to break, I have even got inside and tried to push from inside still to no avail. the worst doors are the rear ones.

The petrol cap, I just keep opening and closing it each day to make sure it stays free, been OK since doing this. Perhaps it is why the rear doors freeze up and they are the ones that are least used.

Just an update, A nice Audi Tech came out this morning to my home ( save keep running in and out and getting loan cars) to check the doors feezing shut, and he could see the problem, They were frozen but wasn't as bad as before but he thinks he might know the reason for this.

He is going to be contacting Audi to see if anything can be done, He is also going to find out about the petrol cap sticking.

Yep, Mines the same been like it for a few weeks, but it has got worse since the cold weather began. I have to tap it to get it to free up, my cap looks like it is off centre as it looks closer to the catch side than the hinge, I wonder if it is easy to adjust the position, mind you Audi can worry about that when I phone them on Monday (if they are open).

I'm not sure what 'inch' means by the the "cap retaining thread" can anyone explain please.

Ta
Phil

'inch' next to cap retaining thread will mean that it's an imperial thread rather than metric. If that's any use to you. Basically there a difference between imperial and metric threads, ie diferent diameters of thread imperial or metric have different pitches between each thread. Sorry could go in to more detail about threads but it's abit boring.

Happend to the other day whilst trying to fill up, spray some WD40 on the click/lock mechanism, all sorted now.