8P Buying Advice

danA3T

Reaction score
Hi guys--

I've spent a lotta time hanging out on the 8L forum given I've been the proud owner of an 1999 1.8TS for some years now but I'm thinking that 2010 is time for an upgrade (I'd also like to improve the MPG I'm getting now I'm covering more miles...)

I'm looking at a facelift A3 8P TDI Sport and have got a budget around £10k.

The thing is, I know quite a lot about the 8L but very little about the 8P or TDI in general and I hope you guys don't mind all the questions....

* What flavours did the TDI sport come in - is it just 140 and 170bhp? Whats the consensus on which's best in terms of performance/economy. I noticed that a lot are 2.0TDI rather than the trusty old 1.9TDI. I'm expecting a bit of a performance reduction from my (getting on a bit) 150bhp 1.8TS.

* Ideally I'd want a hatch rather than a sportback but these seem a lot fewer and far between, am I right in thinking this?

* If I do end up having to go for a sportback, how are these to live with compared with the hatch? There's only two of us but I guess the extra room can't hurt if it doesn't cost the convenience of the hatch.

* I'd prefer a straight manual to the DSG (Less to go wrong?) - what's the DSG like practically speaking if I can't find one without?

* One of the first mods I'd like to do is install RNS-E. I reckon I'm competent enough to do the plug and play replacement if it's got a double-DIN head unit (straight swap) but not to start replacing the cage. My question is was it just 2007 and onward that had double-DIN stereo's or did any models (which) had them pre-2007?

* Any other common faults I should be looking out for? I guess at my budget I'll be looking at one that's covered some miles but as long as it's had a FSH/Cam belt I should be alright.

Again, thanks for bearing with me and I hope to be joining with you 8P guys soon!

thank you,
Dan

Hi Dan
I know nothing about Derv cars but the double din was available in all 8p cars with Symphony and above stereo's so thats about mid 03 onwards

Thanks paddy.... But I would still like to go for a facelifter which (I'm guessing) happened around '05?

Hi Dan.
I have owned both DSG & Manual 2.0 tdi a3 s lines.
First was a 2004 dsg, which was a fabulous car other than the gearbox. It had a horrible pause to pulling away & junctions, which to me was quite dangerous.
Dont know if they have sorted them since, im guessing they have as i bought my folks a new dsg golf in 08 & it does not sufer the same problem.
My current 06 s line has not missed a beat, & other than sevicing i have not spent a penny on any repairs.
Facelift model with bigger grille came out in mid 05.
You will have to find a one with symphony 6 disc changer to get the double din slot, i think they fiited double din as standard circa 07 Model Year.
Early 2.0 tdi`s ( engine code BKD) suffered badly with porous cylinder heads, the engines ran perfectly but used water.
1.9 pd engine is far more reliable, but not so refined & probably better on fuel.
RNSE plug & play is a doddle, anyone can do it. 15 mins max.
Hope this helps.

Great...thanks... really helpful.

I've been reading around the forums and DSG does seem to be a bit of a sticky wicket with some people.... and I do like a decent manual 'box.

Were yours hatches or sportbacks?

I have a 2.0 tdi (140) with a remap, speed wise theres nothing in it with mine against a standard 1.8t motor. Although with the diesel the instant torque at low revs is good.
They do lack in top end though.
The only problem i've encountered is the clutch has started slipping in mine, thats with just over 70k on, and a remap for the last 12k miles.

...Is there anyone who's had both got an opinion of hatch vs sportback?

I had several 1.8T Sport A3 before Audi stopped making the 1.8T engine. When it came to change I tried a 2.0 FSI (the TFSI was not available at that time) and it was totally gutless compared with the 1.8T, so I decided to try the 2.0 TDI-140. I had always had petrol engined cars up till then. The 2.0 TDI was very close in performance and behaviour to the 1.8T so I purchase one - with a DSG gearbox as well. That was in 2004.

In 2007 I changed again and this time for a 2.0TDI-170 and a Sportback rather than a 3-door, but again with a DSG.

In May 2009 I changed again and this time for an A3 with the new common-rail 2.0TDI-140 engine. I compare both the 140cr and the 170cr and preferred the 140cr. So I order a new Sportback with the 2.0 TDI-140cr engine and again the DSG. A couple of months ago I had it remapped so it's now the same power as a 170.

Having had several 3-doors and two 5-doors I would always now go for the 5-door purely on the basis that it's much easier for passengers with the 5-door. Other than that there is not much difference between them.

Up until my first 2.0TDI I had always had a manual gearbox but having test driven an A3 with the DSG I decided I liked it. I'm now on my third and will never buy another car without one. It so much fun to drive. I drive with it in 'tiptronic' mode all the time and every gear change is just a click of the paddles for an instant change. Great to change up with just a click whilst still keeping the power full on.

Hope my comments are useful to you.

I had this dilema when buying my 06 3.2 manual or dsg??? I went for the DSG it handles the torque much better and the clutch shouldn't need replacing per manuals, have always had manuals was dubious to start but after driving golf dsg's and then the Audi the DSG is simply better and now I wouldn't look back unless I wanted a track day car per caterham 7....

Go try them see which you like, I was swayed as the 3.2 manuals can be very jerky in first.

As h5djr says the change with power on is so smooth and seemles its fantastic imo.

Thats my thoughts go try both at length and see which floats your boat at the end of the day the above is just our point of view you'll be the one living with it day to day.

Good luck sorry for rambelling......

Rambel away fellas! The more opinion the better as I feel I'm floundering slightly! I'm feeling more confident about going for DSG now and I had a nosey at one of my neighbour's who's got an A3 8P Sportback which is a good looking motor and doesn't seem much bigger than the hatch. Her's is a swanky 59 plate though with LED lights... very bling!

I did notice her's is the older (more tried and tested?!) 1.9TDI but did I read somewhere that these were only made in 1.9TDI 105bhp for the Audi A3 8P? Seems odd given they did the 8L upto TDI130.

I am getting more convinced that the 2.0TDI 140 sounds the good all-rounder, and it defo sounds a bonus that my road tax will reduce as well thanks to the reduced emissions.

Yeah all the 1.9 TDi's in the 8P are 105bhp, the reason is that there was no need for the 130 and 150 versions when the 2.0 TDI 140 sat nicely inbetween.

There has recently been a 1.9TDie in the facelift (99% sure thats the model your neighbour has got but they dont have an "e" on the back) Its been marketed as the economy choice because its has the best mpg of any A3 and low Co2 so its popular as a company car as low on tax.

I have a 140tdi DSG and love it, thats coming fom a 235bhp 1.8T aswell.

I had several 1.8T Sport A3 before Audi stopped making the 1.8T engine. When it came to change I tried a 2.0 FSI (the TFSI was not available at that time) and it was totally gutless compared with the 1.8T, so I decided to try the 2.0 TDI-140. I had always had petrol engined cars up till then. The 2.0 TDI was very close in performance and behaviour to the 1.8T so I purchase one - with a DSG gearbox as well. That was in 2004.

Almost the same route as myself David as I also owned a couple of 1.8T sport A3, looked at the 20TDI but wasn't ready to buy a derv, I looked at the 3.2 instead as the 20FSI was awful but ended up with a Civic Type R until the 20TFSI was introduced.

Back on track anyway, the 8p is a much nicer car to drive than the 8L and handles so much better although I did enjoy the two 1.8T sports I owned. Sure you will enjoy the change to the 8P. I think the 2.0 TDI 140 is probably about the best in terms of refinment and economy and also performs well. 3 door or sportback is down to personal preference, do you need 5 doors ?? if not buy a 3 door, personally in my opinion the 3 door is a much better looking car.
DSG, wouldn't touch it myself, again personal preference but expensive should it break without a warranty.Also seem to be hearing about more and more probs with them of late.

Mark

Last edited:
Nice one guys, thanks for everyone's input -- I've got a much clearer idea of what I'm after now. I think my shopping list is now:

*2.0TDI 140bhp
*Sport/S-Line spec
*Facelift post 2005 (larger grille)
*Double DIN stereo so I can do the RNS-E upgrade
*Manual gearbox
*Hatch preferred but sportback is good too
*If it's done a few miles I'd like it to have had a cambelt.

Not a lot to ask for upto £10k, eh!

We'll I've test driven my first 8P - a TDi 140 Sportback from my local stealer. A tad over priced for a 2007 at £15k but enjoyed it without a doubt. The TDi power delivery is great. Very punchy.