Anyone else have S-Tronic (DSG) issues?

OutLore

VOIP Dude
Reaction score
Ok, some of you may remember my 1st 8P Sportback TDi which had to have it's DSG box replaced at about 10,000 miles.

I now have an 07 2.0TFSi - which is waiting for it's 3rd (Yes, 3rd) replacement gearbox.

Basically, it crunches when changing gear and going from N to D and D to N (But not in to R). It's also had a mechatronics unit and a flywheel.

However, the Audi centre are now telling me that there is "a technical issue" with the order and they cannot give me a date for the new box to arrive - but they have not said if it's a problem with the actual gearboxes or the order process.

Anyone else heard or having issues?

In case anyone's interested - the customer service from 2 Audi centres has SUCKED!!! Including being told that there isn't an issue with the car and that all S-Tronic boxes make that noise!!!

Oh dear, just not your luck is it for gearboxes, assuming of course all these issues are under warranty of both cars?

Oh dear, just not your luck is it for gearboxes, assuming of course all these issues are under warranty of both cars?

LOL yeah it seems that way - funnily enough, one of the dealers actually said that to me.

Both under warranty, and company lease cars anyway - although the current one is at 65000 miles, but as the problem started at 45000 they still have to fix it :D

It's spent 28 days in Audi Centres this year alone. It wouldn't be so bad if the dealers actually seemed competent!

My 07 2.0tdi has 23k and I get a little thud when setting off from standstill sometimes

My 07 2.0tdi has 23k and I get a little thud when setting off from standstill sometimes

Mine does do that - but describing it as "a little thud" would be understating it somewhat! Sometimes it will pull away normally, and other times it's as though launch control is activated - nothing for a half second or so then a big crunch/bang, and it's off like a scalded cat!!

64k miles ... not a glitch

No reported problems although have only covered about 2K of miles. A couple of gripes however...

1) Slow to respond from stand still but have to say the gear change is instantaneous when giving it some welly.
2) In 'D' the gear change is too quick .. (it's in 4/5th gear by the bottom of my 50 meter road) and in 'S' it changes up too late so I would consider a remap at some point.

Well, got it back after gearbox no.3 and it's still the same. Dealer consulted with Audi UK again, who have now said that it's a characteristic of the gearbox! Funny that it co-incides with me passing 60,000. It also makes me wonder why they would have replaced the box twice (first replacement was unrelated), replaced the mechatronics unit, flywheel and gearbox mounts to resolve an issue they are now saying is a characteristic?

Way to go Audi - another customer loyal to the brand for 10+years lost to BMW!

<sigh>

Hi A3 enthusiasts,
I recently exchanged my 1998 Boxster for a '54 A3 Quattro 3.2 S-troniic (or is it DSG? dunno yet).
The boxster had tiptronic which is why I chose a "paddle shift" A3. I was really happy with it on the Porsche, which was still a fantastic car after 110k miles.

I notice that this car has a really snatchy first gear and I have to use a traditional clutched hill-start technique when pulling away up any slight incline. I can even roll back from my gaarge door with "D" selected! that is only about 15 degree slope.

The car has coered 41000 miles and the dealer serviced it when I bought it (it was asking for it).
I will look through the other posts and research some more but please let me know if this a characteristic :)

Dr. Skids.

No reported problems although have only covered about 2K of miles. A couple of gripes however...

1) Slow to respond from stand still but have to say the gear change is instantaneous when giving it some welly.
2) In 'D' the gear change is too quick .. (it's in 4/5th gear by the bottom of my 50 meter road) and in 'S' it changes up too late so I would consider a remap at some point.

You could do what I do with my DSG. Let D change from 1st to 2nd and from 2nd to 3rd as they do tend to come around rather quickly. As soon as it's in 3rd I move the lever to 'tiptronic' and then I decide when to change up and down and use the lever or paddles to effect the change. Much more fun that driving an automatic!!

I found that initially, but found that if you let the car start to creep forward first then start to accelerate it will be off to a flying start. If you try to boot it from a dead stop there is a bit of 'dead space' before it picks up.

Don't forget that the DSG box isn't a traditional auto slush box, there isn't a torque converter that is always supplying drive, there are electromechanical clutches and there is a slight pause when you release the brake, before the drive is taken up.

You do adapt to driving round the problem and I find that I leave myself a reasonable gap to busy roundabouts so that I have creep space to nail it out into a gap.

Paul