Audi A3 SB Cluster swap with skc coding

blackcruiser

A3 Sportsback 2006
Reaction score
I have read a few threads on the successful cluster swap and that motivated me to get a brand new 09 S3 cluster to swap with mine 05 A3 Sb.

I understand most got everything working fine. But I have a teeting issue here which I hope kind forumers could advice me.

My Audi agent in Singapore (Premium Auto) did not mange to code the new cluster as they are unable to retrive the skc code thru the VAS machine explaining that both cluster version are too far apart and they are not compatible.

Would anyone here be kind enough to provide a detail procedures to swap the cluster successfully via the Agent VAS machine? Somehow, I have this feeling that the agent miss out something that causes the swaping failure.

TIA.

Perhaps you also need a newer central electrics module too? I know both N8 and NHN managed the SKC ok. I know that NHN has a newer module fitted (revison K) but I dont know what is in N8's car or what year his is. I know the newer one is required to get the extra functions on the newer cluster's DIS but I dont know if it would affect the immobilizer functions.

Its just a guess, maybe the agent was just incompetent LOL.

Hi Khufu,

You are right. Somehow, I find my agent are not giving me the complete picture. They just tell me that the chipset in the cluster are too far apart and that is why they are unable to communicate.

There are 2004 Audi using the 2009 cluster with no issues. That is why I have this feeling my Agent might have miss a few steps or there are something they do not know.

Any kind souls here can help me on this?

I'd say you tried to run before you could walk mate, interms of rushing out to get a cluster, some better research may of been advisable to see which facelift cluster suits your A3.

The S3 cluster is potentially wrong for your A3, you should have got an A3 cluster mate, this maybe the reason why you are having issues overall, but you should have no issues getting the skc out of either given the 8P has the same immo systems from 03 till present day, using VAS, but there's a procedure to follow.

Is it an audi dealer working online with germany to swap them, I wonder if its an uploading issue given different car types, who was your dealer?

I wonder if skc retrieval only & then code the adaptations manually would work.

SKC can be retreived & coded into cars by other people, but I fear same issues.

I had an actual A3 TDI cluster, infact I had 2 one was lhd & other rhd as in miles/kilometres, they went in fine, 2nd one was a little tricky, but I know for sure this was due to the stupid technician not knowing his job as I was there & I advised him to try another route which worked straight away after his 10 attempts incorrectly.

Whats your old cluster part number & the new one, which engine is your A3?

I will get back to you on the new and old cluster part number by tomorrow.

My Audi agent, the only one in our little island Singapore was pretty sure it will not be a problem to swap the cluster thus they ordered that in for me. But when they tried, they dun seems to be able to code it and they are too puzzled and unable to identify what could be the problem other than guessing it might be the cluster chipset version difference.

In fact, they claim they have successfully coded another cluster swap just not too long ago on another A3 but its not the S3 cluster and everything seems to work fine.

I know its a silly question but I assume its a petrol you have and not a diesel?

I had chance of an S3 cluster but I was worried that the speedo would be out as the S3 is different to the rest of the range in that it goes up to 180mph, not 160mph like the rest (or 300kph)

Hi NHN, I am currently using the AXX engine.

The old cluster chipset is 93c86 whereas the new cluster chipset is 24lc32.

Could you share the right procedures to follow for retriving the skc code (I know it cant be seen) to be coded from the old to the new?

For your info, when the new S3 cluster is plug in my car, everything lighten up as per normal without the immo coded and of course my engine could not be started.

Appreciate your assistance on this matter.

Hi Nigel,

Are you able to advice what I need to look out in the procedures when trying to retrieve the skc code using the VAS machine from my dealer?

Appreciate your kind assistance.

You cannot retrieve SKCs with VAS. VAS will code it in online for you, but you won't see the SKC.

To make the picture clearer, my agent tried to transfer the old cluster info to the new cluster and sent the data out via VAS online and to retrieve the immo coding for the new cluster. However, the system did not reply.

Next, the agent tried the same procedure but this time round, did not transfer the old cluster information to the new cluster. And it turns out the same, the VAS did not come back with the immo code.

Therefore, would like to seek more info if there is a procedure issue here.

Thanks

Does your dealer have online subscription with audi for this service in the 1st place as if they dont then they wont get an answer anyway, its not free.

I verified with them and they do have the subscription. I told them how you guys have done it in the UK and they told me the UK might have a lower version of the cluster software version therefore they are able to do it.

Whereas in Singapore, the softwares are constantly updated and that might be a issue.

Your take? BS?

I was wondering if all fails, will it be possible to remove my current immo chip board and tap onto the new S3 cluster and it will work?

Hi Khufu,

My current module is 8P0907279K. Is this the module that works with the newer clusters DIS?

I verified with them and they do have the subscription. I told them how you guys have done it in the UK and they told me the UK might have a lower version of the cluster software version therefore they are able to do it.

Whereas in Singapore, the softwares are constantly updated and that might be a issue.

Your take? BS?

Simple reply, yes BS, its them either doing it wrong or there connection with audi germnay isnt working properly or at all.

I was wondering if all fails, will it be possible to remove my current immo chip board and tap onto the new S3 cluster and it will work?

IMMO chip is nothing to do with it, they're all the same across the 8P as mines a late 04 & I fitted an 09 cluster & works 100%.

My current module is 8P0907279K. Is this the module that works with the newer clusters DIS?

Older boards will work also but maybe wont have all the DIS menus available, but yes K is good.

Yes, that one is the same as NHN's and he has no issues.

None so far & been a while installed now.

Hi NHN,

I witness the re-attempt swap of the S3 cluster yesterday and realize what the actual problem is.

With the new cluster fitted, while trying to adapt the immobiliser, the data acquisition from dash panel insert -J285 , the VAS system is unable to retrieve my chassis number (Shows XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX) and the coding results show error.

It is able to show the cluster info though.

What the VAS system shows is as follows:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (The invalid Chassis number)
8PO920932EX
AUY7Z0I7FND06T
VDD-024

Got the technician to check if the link to Germany is working and it shows its fine.

We did a test where we tried to execute the same adapt immobiliser procedure on my existing cluster and the VAS is able to show my chassis number.

So there might be a possibility the VAS is unable to detect my chassis number only thru the new S3 cluster.

Conclusion is that if the VAS is able to detect my chassis number thru the new cluster, everything should work fine then.

Are you able to advice what could possibly be the issue here?

TIA

Last edited:
They're doing it wrong, the chassis number should always remain on the ecu, so the new cluster then picks up the chassis number from the ecu, what they're doing is putting the new cluster in & changing the chassis number in the ecu to that of the new clocks which is xxxxxxxxxxxxx given its new, they need to refit the old cluster & test with immo & all working again & the chassis number shows correctly, then download the current cluster info to the online system, then remove old cluster, install new cluster, then download the old cluster adaptations & make sure they grab the chassis number of the ecu, they're doing opposite, they're downloading the chassis number from the new cluster into the ecu, I had same problem, cant recall the option in VAS unit, but it was the reverse of what they tried until I got on the VAS & found the problem.

Hi NHN,

Are you able to explain the procedures on how to go about loading the old cluster into the online system?

If the VAS is unable to capture the chassis number, will there be alternatives to manually insert the chassis number?

Or are you pretty certain that the system will be able to capture the data as long the procedures are right?

Thanks

Are they inserting there workshop code & importer code given its a new module, there goal is to transfer the chassis number from the ecu to the new cluster, they are doing it the opposite way so you're ending up with chassis number xxxx in the ecu, it should be obvious how to install it mate if they have training from audi & they have a subscription connection with germany.

i am looking at doing this myself i have 55 facelift 2.0tdi a3 and will the new clusters from a 1.9 tdi work and what do i need to do to get the them to work all help appreciated cheers

Hi Khufu,

As of now, still no luck. Followed strictly on NHN instructions on the coding and the VAS system still shows XXXXXXX for my chassis number even though my ecu can detect it.

I am still clueless what can be wrong as every checks possible had been done.

I am so close yet so far as I saw the needle sweep and colour DIS all showing right up, but because of the damm immobiliser, I am unable to start up my car.

It seems so that if only I could manually input my chassis number into the VAS, it will respond back with the immo code. However, there is no way I can manually input it in as there are totally no options for that.

NHN, does the VAS in UK allows you to manually key in the chassis number?

Do you think using an aftermarket headunit will affect the canbus system that lead to the failure? I doubt so but would lik eto confirm.

Thanks

Does the place speak English? Maybe they could phone the dealer that did Nigel & Nates? My cluster has arrived too, looks so much better! I hope I dont have the same issues trying to get the Immob coded. I need a new fuel pump too 1st.

Yes we do speak english here. May I know the dealer phone number?

Other than this option, is there are other way to get this cluster working? Its seems that there is no way Audi Germany will release the immo code too. Are there alternatives to retrieve the skc code?

As at this moment, I have yet to resolve the skc retrival issue. Chances of me using the S3 cluster as a display in the shelves pretty high.

Yes we do speak english here. May I know the dealer phone number?

Other than this option, is there are other way to get this cluster working? Its seems that there is no way Audi Germany will release the immo code too. Are there alternatives to retrieve the skc code?

I dont know who did the coding for the above people. Audi Stoke is a sponsor of the site, maybe they can help you?

http://www.audi.co.uk/about-audi/contact-us/find-an-audi-dealer/partner-uk/stoke.html

Hi blackcruiser, I have the same problem you do. I bought a new cluster because i saw in a German forum it could be done. I took it to the Audi dealer and it didn´t work. I took it to another dealer ( not Audi) and it didn´t work either. I have heard some dealers are able to turn the INMO off ( but then I would make thieves job much easier..). The procedure that NHN described is valid for a used cluster too or only for new ones?

Mine were used clusters aswell, its got nothing to do with immo off etc, its to do with the guys installing your cluster, as I've said to cruiser aswell, its the way they match this with the ecu, they must transfer the vin to the cluster from the ecu, they're probably coding the ecu to the cluster so your ecu sees the clusters current coded vin which is wrong, if they're using the vas5052 proper connection with germany they should be able to do this, I've had this done twice now & both times obviously worked, albeit needed my intervention on 2nd occassion but this just proves my point, the technicians arent trained well enough to do this job.

It can be done, full stop.

I am positive it can be done, because you have proved it. I just want to know how to do it so I can tell them. I have already spend almost 200 euros plus the cluster and it doesn´t work yet. I really appreciate your help NHN, as I was completely lost. I will talk to them and let you know the result.

Hi Spanishpacs, do share here if you managed to solve the issue after following NHN coding procedures.

As I was there to witness the coding via VAS5052, it seems that everything looks clear cut.

Using the VAS, retrieve the settings from the old cluster, follow by removing the old cluster and installing the new cluster in and load the save settings from VAS in the new cluster.
Next, try coding the new cluster via standard procedures.

Sure I will, this cluster thing is driving me nuts. I saw in a German forum a guy who managed to do it ( a 09 cluster in a 04 audi a3). He got some problems with the dieselpump, but told me i should not worry as my car was from 06. I took it to the Audi dealer and spent 90 euros for nothing. Then to another dealer ( not Audi) and had the same result ( another 70 euros). Plus the cluster plus the new stalk. I was hopeless but after reading this a little hope is back!.
I will let you know as soon as I have news.

Hello Mate
I have a 2009 cluster white display and my tec guy could programme it to the car and it's start and drive fine...but the abs lights and engine lights would not go out
the computer say that they is no faults codes...left in running for 2omins drove it around the block a few time and still no joy.

PS I also change the control module still no Joy.....CAN YOU HELP??????????

You have to set your brake system types in the cluster adaptation, think was channel 37 need to set what brakes you have as 4wd has more systems than a fwd, this fault doesnt show up in vagcom or in vas5052, its an anomoly but this code change fixes this.

Hi C39ker, what year is your car? Do you have any idea how your tec guy manage to programme the cluster?
Next week I am going to the Audi dealer and try to follow NHN instructions, see if i can finally make it work

Thank you for the reply...did you have this problem??? and what year was your car my one is a 54 S line.

PS how much do you charge to change the buttons on he SAT NAV to the new style???

He done it just as NHN said and it worked fine apart from the abs lights staying on