A3 3ltr Diesel

paddy

Reaction score
I have spent the day in a 3ltr diesel A4...what a brilliant engine. now why didn't Audi fit that in thew A3 ???. It would have made the S3 look pedestrian and slotted into the green thing with ease. also I have to say the latest Auto boxes are better than my DSG.
A real eye opener today !!!!!

yeah I had a 3.0TDI A4 Avant Tiptronic S-Line as a courtesy car for the day!! Best day i've had for a short while!!

The first journey was averaging 42mpg which I was amazed about...and then I discovered the S selection on the gearbox! Where did that last quarter tank disappear... ;) went down to 25mpg which still isn't bad for that size car and engine!!

I think in the A3 the engine would be too heavy and handling would be pretty damaged as a consequence...the 3.2 being all aluminium unlike Diesel engines.

Yup

I averaged 36.8 for the day.....never going to see that from my 3.2 !Even with 4 paving slabs in the boot to balance the handling i still say that would be the ultimate A3

3.0 v6 tdi is a nice engine but BM s N57 3.0 diesel has it licked for performance & economy.
Also this engine would make an A3 far too nose heavy and is only used in longitudinally mounted applications, its high angle bank would make it a v tight squeeze in an A3 engine bay and they'd need a new tranny.

a4 3.0 tdi is a lovely engine/car, sublime & mapped its hell of alot better, drove my mates before & after map @amdsurrey, lushhhhhhhhhhhhh

That's the ONLY reason my next car will be an A4 !

Yes I'm almost heading that way, but cant decide if B7 is dated or not.

3.0 v6 tdi is a nice engine but BM s N57 3.0 diesel has it licked for performance & economy.

It's being widely commented about in journo world that the 3.0TDI is now lagging behind compared to BMW's diesels equivalent...dated technology some are calling it!