No Traction

neil-A3

Reaction score
Have been reading forum for a long time now, but only just joined amd must say how interesting it is.:yum:

Now my 2.0 Tdi S-line is what we might call hopeless in the wet and snow, had it into the dealers over this and they gave me a A5 courtesy car, took this out in the snow and the traction control seemed to slow the revs down and the wheels kept bitting well.

Audi tell me they tested mine and found no fault, so took tech out for a little ride in mine, wheels spinning, light flashing but going no where very fast, he tells me this is normal for this weather, tell him A5 was no problem and he tells me the TC on the A5 is a far superior TC and thats why it is better.

Still not happy I insist it isnt right, and cant believe A3's are like this, they then agree to let me try another 2.0Tdi they have for sale, take this out and it behaves itself great, bitting great, tried a little hill, great. So of we go back to the dealers and take mine out again, took the same route and spinning wheeels everywhere, get to little hill and we sat there spinning like a lemon, he then tells me that the other A3 was a PD engine so have different systems, being fobbed off here I think.:sign_unfair:

Anyway they tell me that I will have to wait till another new 2.0tdi s-line comes in to try as they have none on demo, strange that as had one 2 weeks ago when it went in for other problems.

Have read other threads and it seems like when TC is working you get a knocking noise which I dont get, am I being fobbed off here or not?

Traction Control (ESP) will vary from different models as they are calibrated differently.

What tyres have you got? What tyres did the A5 have and the other A3? I had RE050As and they were terrible (IMO)

Yes they are the original RE050As on them, I have read on here that they are not the best, not sure what the others had but the A5 had only done 4K miles so would expect them to be original as well.

The other thing is even if you turn of the ESP is still behaves exactly the same, did show this to the tech guy but he just said that was how they are in the snow/wet. Does not instill too much confidence while driving in this weather, my other half decided to take her car tonight and she hasn't done that since I bought my A3.

So when the ESp is on, does the light flicker on the dash when pulling off sharply?

It may be worth finding somewhere quiet and sticking the car on full lock and giving it some, if you wheelspin or push wildly with no indicator light, your ESP isn't working. If the engine is mostly cut until you straighten out, it works.

I am also of the mind that different cars/engine combos will have different systems.

I have tried the full lock, the wheels spin like they are going out of fashion and the esp light is flashing, the revs will go up to 4000 with no problems, even if you change into 2nd it just still goes mad.

There is no indication of the engine revs cutting down like in the A5 and the other A3, Also in the wet if you floor it as you leave a roundabout the wheels will spin like crazy as well, like I say it does not seem to drive ( traction wise ) any different to the ESP being either on or off.