Adaptive Xenon's - How to Tell?

taylorc

A4 BE Quattro S-Tronic
Reaction score
Is there anyway to confirm that a car has adaptive Xenon's fitted as I am not overly impressed by the performance of my headlamps. I spec'd them when I ordered (at extra cost of course) on my S3 but I have to say that they are not that bright (dipped or main beam).
My old Focus ST had them and they were fantastic so I am surprised tbh, when I switch the lights on I can sometimes see them raise (as did my old ST) but other than that is there any other way to confirm that they are adaptive?
Thanks

drive round a corner in pitch black and you'll see em follow the bend, hard to tell after a while tho because you get used to them

I specified Adaptive Xenons on my A3 mainly because it was the only way I could get Xenons on my SE spec Sportback. I must admit I'm not really aware of the adaptive bit, but I'm happy with the Xenons and the LED DRLs. Mine certainly go down and up again when their are first swtiched on.

Park your car in front of a wall, then start the car with the lights already on.
If they work correct you should see them go down and then both lights to the outside and back to the middle and up again. There are some movies on Youtube of it.

I have adaptive and they dont move left and right on start up.

Check the stickers on them when lifting the bonnet up, think they should have 2 letters after the part number. Cant remember off hand what the letters are though!

If you drive slow to the point of a crawl and then put full lock on the steering wheel and accelerate hard you will see them flick towards the way you are going.

They are **** though and I'll never spec them again

Having looked at Etka the part numbers seem to be as follows:

For Left-Hand Traffic - ie Right-hand drive (UK)

LEFT Headlight - 8P0 941 029

up to 15/6/09 = AS
from 15/6/09 = BH

RIGHT Headlight - 8P0 941 030

up to 15/6/09 = AR
from 15/6/09 = BG

My adaptive Xenons do the left right up down movement on startup. I find them great for my commute at the mo. It's all dark tight cornered country lanes for me and they do the trick.