Volks AutosMonster Motorsport
    Neutral

Status

Removing anti-damp paint off car

Had a bloke working on our house recently spraying anti-damp paint. However it was a windy day which sent his little spray all over the place. (Don't laugh!).

The (black) car was well away from the house but the wind has resulted in the car having thousands of clear dots all over it. You cant really see it until your close up, but it looks like its got car measles

Its this kind of paint: http://www.coopersdirect.com/pagevie...=5010988450044

Obviously its waterproof, so no amount of car-washes or jet washes are removing it. A lot of elbow grease will remove a patch about 2" in diameter, but can anyone think of a decent chemical alternative to get rid of this damp paint?

Cheers

2. # ADS
    ADS

S3 Owner

Status
    The only thing I can think of would either be a very fine cutting paste or (more expensively) a detailer. My old ST170 was vandalised with spray paint and very fine cutting paste and a lot of elbow grease sorted it but it wasn't easy!
    Best of luck.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Ideally a Detailer mate, give Polished Bliss a shout as they're the defacto pro's who would advise of a diy solution or give N8 on here a shout as he details & very well too.

Also welcome to the site.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

6th Gear

Status
    would some clay not get rid of it ?
    Audi A3 S-Line DSG - sold
    Golf Mk4 Autograph - sold
    Currently Vtec'in around in an Accord Type R :P

For Sale: ST3 Remap Console - PM Me :P
    Vagcom'd too

5th Gear

Status
    ^ as above Clay is your best bet. We had a kind neighbour who decided to creasote his fence using the new spray bottle instead of a brush. long story short my mums TTQS ended up covered in fine dots of creasote. I got Clark of Polished Bliss to come out and he removed it all using detailing clay just remember once youve used it you will need to re wax your car

2009 Suzuki GSXR1000K9 SE in White
    2012 Triumph Speed Triple R in Black
    2012 RS3 in Racing Mica Blue
    2012 A1 TFSI in Misano red (shared with mum)

Neutral

Status
    Cheers for the info. How much do you think Im looking at for this clay? Is it a professionals only kinda job?

Its a company car you see, so Im not wanting to spend much (if anything) on it. The company won't want to bother getting it fixed either as it will cost them. To give an example, some numpty opened their door hard into the side of it last month causing a 2 inch dent and deep scratch in my drivers door. Company won't get it fixed.

5th Gear

Status
    I'd say the most generally available clay is Meguiars Smooth Surface Clay Kit which can be found at your local Halfords.

5th Gear

Status
    very easy to use just remember to keep the area you are working on well coated in the spray that comes with the kit. As above meguiars is the most readily available and costs about 25

2009 Suzuki GSXR1000K9 SE in White
    2012 Triumph Speed Triple R in Black
    2012 RS3 in Racing Mica Blue
    2012 A1 TFSI in Misano red (shared with mum)

Now running on Bentley's y'all

Status
    You would think the muppet who sprayed the paint all over your car should foot the bill...
    A3 3.2 V6 S-Line | Brilliant Black | Full Votex Kit | 18" Cades Bern / 19" Bentley 5 Spokes in flat grey with 215/35 Falkens | Custom Code Remap
    V-Maxx coilovers | Remus exhaust | Pipercross Viper | Goodridge Brake Lines | RNS-E | Bluetooth | FBMFSW
    Previous VAGs: 99 S4 Biturbo | 06 Golf GT TDI | 08 A4 S-Line TDI PD140 | 02 Passat 4.0 W8
    Other toy: Suzuki GSX-R750 K3 Black/Silver

Leather arm rest for sale | S3 mirror covers for sale | 09 3dr tail lights wanted | Twin grills wanted PM me!

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by V6Pete View Post
    You would think the muppet who sprayed the paint all over your car should foot the bill...
    me too, but that won't happen unfortunately.

I'll give halfords a try.

Cheers everyone!!

3rd Gear

Status
    id say some aggressive clay like

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/detail.../prod_279.html

and this for lubrication

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/detail.../prod_560.html

if that does not work then i think you will need to bring out a polisher and use some 3m fast cut compound and then over again with 3m ultrafine!
    rs6's, H&R 35mm, lamin-x, vinyl wrapped grill, cupra splitter, black wing mirrors, de-badged, bmc air filter

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by gixxer600k4 View Post
    id say some aggressive clay like

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/detail.../prod_279.html

and this for lubrication

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/detail.../prod_560.html

if that does not work then i think you will need to bring out a polisher and use some 3m fast cut compound and then over again with 3m ultrafine!
    Maybe... but I wouldn't like to personally suggest an aggressive clay to someone who hasn't clayed before. I think the Megs Smooth Surface kit is worth a go first, at the very least it will give experience before a more aggressive clay is used (if it's required)

3rd Gear

Status
    About 12 years ago, the wife's Volvo got covered in pine tree sap. The dots dried up and baked on.

That was when I discovered clay. I used 'Clay Magic' which was one of the first products, and preceded the Meguires product by some time. They had two grades, fine and coarse. The fine worked very well.

Just MAKE SURE to use lots of the lubricant spray, and DO NOT let the clay just 'sit' on the surface, or it can stick to your paint.

WASH the car first.

If you EVER drop the clay, throw it away. If you're removing hard 'lumps' which will stick in the clay, throw it away afterwards... otherwise either case will mean that you'll scratch/swirl your paint if you clay it in the future.

For about twenty quid, it's a bargain. If you run out of lubricant spray, you can reload with a very dilute solution of mild detergent. -All it has to do is lubricate.

Wash before, clay, wash afterwards, then wax, wax wax!!! Your car will have so much depth after you're done (youll also remove ANY road film or 'haze' which has been dulling your car slightly, even tyhough you probably didn't notice!) and it will feel smoother than one of Barry White's 'lurve' songs once it's finished!

Keith

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    Maybe... but I wouldn't like to personally suggest an aggressive clay to someone who hasn't clayed before. I think the Megs Smooth Surface kit is worth a go first, at the very least it will give experience before a more aggressive clay is used (if it's required)
    true!!!! get some practice before using aggressive clay
    rs6's, H&R 35mm, lamin-x, vinyl wrapped grill, cupra splitter, black wing mirrors, de-badged, bmc air filter