LED Number Plate Unit Conversion

david_phillips95

Reaction score
Received my replacement LED number plate light units today, heres a few pictures and an installation guide.

Firstly i took a few photo's of the packaging, coming from taiwan i was expecting them to come wrapped in bubble wrap and tape. They were the exact opposite and were very well packed

IMG_0712.jpg

IMG_0717.jpg

IMG_0719.jpg

IMG_0721.jpg

Heres a few pictures of the LED units once i had finished admiring the packaging :laugh:

IMG_0722.jpg

IMG_0723.jpg

IMG_0724.jpg

IMG_0725.jpg

The number plate bulb holders are held in with a star screw, using a screw driver would have been really awkward as you would struggle to get a good purchase on the screw head. I opted for a 1/4" ratchet and a star head bit

IMG_0737.jpg

IMG_0738.jpg

Once i had removed the OEM unit from the car and compared it to the new LED unit

IMG_0730.jpg

IMG_0731.jpg

On the left is the LED unit and on the right the OEM Unit

IMG_0733.jpg

IMG_0734.jpg

A few pictures of the LED units in action

IMG_0740.jpg

IMG_0745.jpg

IMG_0747.jpg

These are a brilliant product, wish i had bought them sooner tbh as the car looks so much better from the rear now :),

Ebay link:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110464954216&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Comments Welcome

Cheers Davie

Last edited:
Looks mint, my only worry is that they are too bright but presume this is not the case?

Does the computer throw up any error message once installed?

Can you let me know where you bought them from - Link perhaps?

Thanks.
Andy.

Far too bright man, looks like too UFOs beaming down to earth, the bulbs I have are PERFECT. Perfect colour and brightness.

They look really bright in the pictures but they look perfect IMO, similar to my mates 1 series with LED number plate lights :).

Davie

Looks mint, my only worry is that they are too bright but presume this is not the case?

Does the computer throw up any error message once installed?

Can you let me know where you bought them from - Link perhaps?

Thanks.
Andy.

I have added a link to the first post, no errors at all mate and to confirm they do not look like UFO beams as N8 commented earlier the pics are not great and a little misleading.

Davie

Looks good sir, looks kinda too bright, cops will be on ur tail :yahoo:, DEFO looks hundred times better, maybe its the way the pic has been taken???

Looks good sir, looks kinda too bright, cops will be on ur tail :yahoo:, DEFO looks hundred times better, maybe its the way the pic has been taken???

Dont think the police will bother with having bright number plate lights, will probable thank me as will make taking my registration easier for them :laugh:, just the pictures i think, nipped out and snapped a few now its dark. These pics are a little better:

IMG_0763.jpg

IMG_0760.jpg

Davie

I like alot i am so glad i ordered some for mine this morning

Looks sweet m8,
But i have to admit 35 bucks for two bulbs is crazy compared to a tenner for two led bulbs and a resistor,
If only someone would make interior leds that are error free and look as good as the ones you have Dave,
Then i too would pay silly money for them

I like alot i am so glad i ordered some for mine this morning

Did you order them from the same guy on ebay? they came pretty quickly considering there coming from taiwan and the post is slower as its near xmas, think they took just over a week :)

Davie

Those lights are decent, they look alot better in the night

lmfao 59 miles away, lmfao you got me in stitches tonite dude, lmfao

Well I can see them in Venezia, Italy so they must be good :lmfao: :undwech:

I can't find the link, will dig it out. And dave they are too bright man - far too bright :banghead:

In your opinion there too bright continually posting comments about them being too bright will not change my opinion on them lol, IMO they are perfect, post up a pic of your "perfect" lights so that we can all see true perfection seen as the lights i have bought are too bright for you :laugh:

Davie

Wheres this link N8? I paid a tenner for some and they only the right hand side bulb threw up and error, couldnt figure why but i wouldnt mind getting some new ones.

N8 is running these they are perfect.

http://www.convert2xenon.co.uk/led-products/261-2xsmd-36mm-canbus-festoon-high-power-led-bulb.html

I should know i bought them for him ! or was that Matt maybe both , i am so generous !

Error free (apart from 59 plate s3)

Wheres this link N8? I paid a tenner for some and they only the right hand side bulb threw up and error, couldnt figure why but i wouldnt mind getting some new ones.

They are throwing errors as with one in the load is ok , but when you add two it throws it out , , you can try adding a resistor 150h that will probably do it , but more than likely the led will start to burn blue after a minute or 2.Best just to get the ones Nath is running, although there are a few companies doing them now.At least Naths are tried and tested ( unless you have a 59 plate car )

Last edited:

http://www.convert2xenon.co.uk/led-products/261-2xsmd-36mm-canbus-festoon-high-power-led-bulb.html

I should know i bought them for him ! or was that Matt maybe both , i am so generous !

They are throwing errors as with one in the load is ok , but when you add two it throws it out , , you can try adding a resistor 150h that will probably do it , but more than likely the led will start to burn blue after a minute or 2.Best just to get the ones Nath is running, although there are a few companies doing them now.At least Naths are tried and tested ( unless you have a 59 plate car )

Would be interesting to know what output those LEDs are.

Do you get any errors on vag-com / dashboard?

No bulb warnings, but running 2 resistors, can't for the life of me remember the resistance though as I have tried a few. I could always take a look if you're planning on using these bulbs? It's been like this for months now and no problems.

I would appreciate that mate.

Each bulb on mine has 2 LEDs and they are bright. Im assuming the LEDs in these are not as bright as there are 18 in each?

Each bulb on mine has 2 LEDs and they are bright. Im assuming the LEDs in these are not as bright as there are 18 in each?

All 18 LED's in the unit i have are VERY bright, the light produced is white light, i would imagine the two LEDs in the light you have are larger and not as white. I have not seen them up close so can only assume. The LED bulb replacements i have seen fitted to cars end up having a blue tinge to them, this is the reason i went for these LED replacement units as they are far whiter and brighter IMO :D

A few of us are running those, they are the best ones, plug and play..

How long have you guys been running these for? Have you noticed any spoiling of the plastic surroundings etc?

Thanks
Dan:beerchug:

How long have you run these for? I've heard that some of these LEDs only last a short time before they die?

I'm thinking of getting some. Does they throw up fault codes on VCDS?

:)