Strange noises when no traction

Wai-Fan

Reaction score
Had some strange noises coming from the front left (drivers view) of the car when the wheels are spinning. It sounds like someone pulling a handbrake without pressing down the button. It only started making noises today. So anyone know what may be wrong???

Thanks.

Could it just be a mixture of the locking front diff/traction control? My old A3 didnt have traction control or ESP and only the locking front diff that made an err, "grrr" noise if one wheel was spinning at a different speed than the other (up to 15mph?)

Hmmm, I see. I didn't hear anything like that on thursday in the snow. But anyway, it isn't anything I should be concerned about, right???

Drive on some snow and floor the gas to see if it does it .... don't forget to be extra safe !

this is exactly the same as what happens in mine, with same sorta noise (kinda hard to explain that sound lol) mine also comes from the front left.

do people find that the traction control is rubbish, i thought it is meant to stop the wheels spinning, but if i accelerate it will still spin the wheels, just not as bad as with ESP off. its like there is something trying to hold it back but not doing a very good job!

Mine was doing this this morning, I was gonna post but couldnt think about how to describe the sound!!! Sounds like its a normal sound if a few of us have it

I get this on my A3 also. Again, on the left hand side also. I thought i knackered something as at the time I was hammering it up a hill in the snow! Mwahaha

Well it seems everyone else has it so guess I got nothing to worry about. Still annoying though, I keep thinking something is broken!

The other day I tried to brake on ice (hard) and was amazed how good the ESP was, kept the car dead straight and was definitely having a big battle with the ice. Also when you drive through a big puddle but only with the wheels on one side to slow the significantly, you can also hear them braking individually.

Sometimes I even look for these moments in a safe place to see the limit .... so far so good.