EM TuningChris Nott
    Reverse Gear

Status

Bluefin remap from Superchips - Any good?

Has anyone used the above and if so do they recommend it as a good tuning route?

Looking for something that can be reversed easily if needs be.

Cheers
    Tim
    Silver '07 S3 - Practical, good looking and goes like stink !

Previous mota's of note:

Golf V6 4 Motion

MK 4 .:R32

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    It was my first ever remap on my last S3, i honestly thought it was crap even much so that i spent another 500 on the GIAC map - this was so much better and so much quicker.

There are alot of people that get on with the bluefin map so dont just take my opinion in, do a search of the forum and read all the posts about bluefin or superchips, i could hardly tell any difference when i put it on, but also bear in mind that this was more than a year ago so things might have improved with superchips.

GIAC and REVO seem to have the best reputations

1st Gear

Status
    I was also looking for a remap that could easily be reveresed, after reading plently of stories on here and on tyresmoke I decided on a Bluefin, infact I am now running a groupbuy if your interested.

SuperChips also offer a full refund within 7 days if your not satisfied.

Ride: 520d M Sport Cobolt Black, 19" Spyders

Previous rides:
    2.0T Quattro S-Line
    Lava Grey - Sportback

Enthusiast

Status
    I think it's worth it on a 2.0tdi, driving is more fun and car accelerates nicely even in the higher gears.

Must add I haven't tried GIAC or REVO so not in position to compare.

Being able to revert to stock map myself played a huge part in my decision to buy Bluefin.
    VCDS USER

is a retronaut

Status
    A trial is the way forward for sure. There have been conflicting reports over the years. I had my 2.0T A3 Bluefinned and then the S3 too and have been very happy with both.
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

6+1 Gears

Status
    I see that most of petrol engine owners go for Revo. Diesel owners go for SuperChips.
    DSG | Vienna Leather | Bose Sound | MFSW | Interior Lights Pack | Light & Rain Sensors | Auto Dimming Mirror Mods: LED RNS-e | FL LED Tail Lights | Bi-Xenons | Illuminated Speaker Grilles | Tinted windows | Chrome Switches | Chrome Paddles&Commands | RS4 Start Button | Cruise Control | S3 Pedals | S3 Roof Spoiler | 18" BBS CH | H&R Spacers 10/15 mm | Bilstein B16 PSS10 | H&R 26/24 ARBs | TT Arms | S3 Front Brakes+DS2500+Tarox F2000 | HEL Brake Lines | VNT20 | EGR&Cooler Delete | Custom Remap

S3 (8P)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tspar View Post
    Has anyone used the above and if so do they recommend it as a good tuning route?

Looking for something that can be reversed easily if needs be.

Cheers
    Tim
    Get REVO and you will be hugely impressed.
    Makes a massive difference that you will feel after the first 100 yards.
    15mins, plug n play. Nothing subtle about it thats for sure.

Like Staz said, try a trial, REVO do a free 5hr one.
    Dooo it. Makes it the car it should have been whe in left the factory.

Cheers
    Paul
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

Neutral

Status
    In simple terms a remap from the likes of REVO will get you more power/torque than a more generic ECU flash from the Bluefin unit..

The advantage of Bluefin has already been stated so for me being able to remove it when taking it in for service and me having the control over what map it has is more beneficial than having to take it back to REVO to put stock map on.

On either you will notice a good gain in power/torque/driveability but a rolling road remap will mostly get better results.
    Collected 14 July - 2009 MY10 A3 1.9TDIe Sport 3dr in Brilliant Black
    Factory options: Cruise Control, Debadged, Chrome Exhaust tips
    Mods: CC Tuning remap.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Staz View Post
    A trial is the way forward for sure.
    Definitely can't agree with that, unless locking your ECU and having to muck around getting it put back to actual standard is your thing!

S3 (8P)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by smbAudi View Post
    In simple terms a remap from the likes of REVO will get you more power/torque than a more generic ECU flash from the Bluefin unit..

The advantage of Bluefin has already been stated so for me being able to remove it when taking it in for service and me having the control over what map it has is more beneficial than having to take it back to REVO to put stock map on.

On either you will notice a good gain in power/torque/driveability but a rolling road remap will mostly get better results.
    Not strictly true mate.

You dont need to take your car back to REVO if you have a Select switch. The Select switch enables you to return you car to standard settings for dealer visits, although it is at extra cost.

REVO Stage 1 Generic map will give you around 310bhp (on RON 99) on the S3.
    I would doubt a RR session and a custom map will yield better results. In particular on a car that doesnt have any bolt ons.

Cheers
    Paul
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..

Before:

BMW 320d M Sport

Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    etc....

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulAr View Post
    Not strictly true mate.

You dont need to take your car back to REVO if you have a Select switch. The Select switch enables you to return you car to standard settings for dealer visits, although it is at extra cost.

I would doubt a RR session and a custom map will yield better results. In particular on a car that doesnt have any bolt ons.

Cheers
    Paul
    ...and if you hunt around tuners looking for special offers or barter a bit. you will get the Select switch for nada - this is especially true at car shows from what I have seen, big discounts and thrown in switches.

I suppose the important point here is that Audi will not be looking (or generally care for that matter) for a map when you go for servicing. I have have mine in a couple times and the big diagnositic machine (VAS???) did/does not detect the map.

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by shark_90 View Post
    Definitely can't agree with that, unless locking your ECU and having to muck around getting it put back to actual standard is your thing!
    I meant from Superchips which does put it back to the standard map. The guys at TT-Shop pretty much confirmed what you said by the way Ben so I never got the Revo trial.

More news on it all later hopefully.
    8P2 S3

Neutral

Status
    Not strictly true mate.

You dont need to take your car back to REVO if you have a Select switch. The Select switch enables you to return you car to standard settings for dealer visits
    No it doesn't, the map is still there. It does not go back to standard, it just makes the car run at less power.
    Last edited by shark_90; 18th December 2009 at 11:59.

Neutral

Status
    Not strictly true mate.

Cheers
    Paul
    Oh yes course! I had completely forgot about the Select switch but obviosuly with an additional cost. Though I see some one else has said that negotiations can get this for free...interesting!!

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Get Ben (Shark Performance) to map your car. Superchips are maps are P O O. I drove Patricks 170bhp A3 with bluefin, and I swear to god, it felt no faster WHATSOEVER than my stock 140bhp A3 at the time. My car has now been mapped, and if Pat still had his, it would eat it alive.

To rub more salt in the wound, I drove his wife's MK5 GTI DSG as I wanted to see the golfs build quality etc as my cousin is thinking of a Jetta as his runners and I thought "its quite nippy" then he went, yeh its got bluefin on it as well. Then I went out in Ben's mapped Octavia which is K03 turbo as well, and its just a different animal.

So my advise, NO, DON'T BUY BLUEFIN.

"Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

1st Gear

Status
    What about the AMD map as an option? I've been hearing good things about that and am considering one for my 2.0T.

Had Revo on my old MKIV 1.8T Golf and it made a world of difference.

is a retronaut

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by N8 View Post
    Get Ben (Shark Performance) to map your car. Superchips are maps are P O O. I drove Patricks 170bhp A3 with bluefin, and I swear to god, it felt no faster WHATSOEVER than my stock 140bhp A3 at the time. My car has now been mapped, and if Pat still had his, it would eat it alive.

To rub more salt in the wound, I drove his wife's MK5 GTI DSG as I wanted to see the golfs build quality etc as my cousin is thinking of a Jetta as his runners and I thought "its quite nippy" then he went, yeh its got bluefin on it as well. Then I went out in Ben's mapped Octavia which is K03 turbo as well, and its just a different animal.

So my advise, NO, DON'T BUY BLUEFIN.
    To be fair Ben's Octavia has a full exhaust too. The BF on my 2.0T was awesome.
    8P2 S3

Revo Stage 2+ Audi S3

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AuldReekie View Post
    ...and if you hunt around tuners looking for special offers or barter a bit. you will get the Select switch for nada - this is especially true at car shows from what I have seen, big discounts and thrown in switches.

I suppose the important point here is that Audi will not be looking (or generally care for that matter) for a map when you go for servicing. I have have mine in a couple times and the big diagnositic machine (VAS???) did/does not detect the map.
    True ive got mine booked in for monday for Revo, got the switch for nothing & the map inc vat for 550

Revo Stage 2+ - Miltek Non Res Turbo Back Exhaust - Evoms Intake - Autotech Fuel
    Pump - Forge DV - Sachs Clutch - BSH Engine/Gearbox Mounts - BSH PCV Mod - RS4
    FPR Valve - Airlift Performance Struts With Adjustable Top Mounts & Droplinks with Accuair Management - H & R Anti Roll Bars - 42 Draft Designs Shifter Bushes - BBS E28 Magnesium Motorsport Wheels - Piano
    Black Optics Grill & Fogs - Piano Black Door Mirrors - Carbon Fibre Front Splitter & Rear Diffuser

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by Staz View Post
    To be fair Ben's Octavia has a full exhaust too. The BF on my 2.0T was awesome.
    And intake whilst your at it , but thats not the point...

"Will these wheel fit my car PM's will not be replied to, do you research & use the SEARCH button"

Detailing - Wheel Refurbishment - Shark Performance Software - VagbremTechnic Dealer - OEM Retrofitting - Remus - V-Maxx - Goodridge

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by Scott134 View Post
    What about the AMD map as an option? I've been hearing good things about that and am considering one for my 2.0T.

Had Revo on my old MKIV 1.8T Golf and it made a world of difference.
    Theres a thread on here about someone having problems with AMD. Why not go with Shark Performance in Mansfield, worth travelling. Ben's got an octavia 2.0T with full milltek, intake and map, and its absolutley RAPID, go and see him and go out in the car, you won't be disappointed

Shark Performance =

S3 (8P)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by shark_90 View Post
    No it doesn't, the map is still there. It does not go back to standard, it just makes the car run at less power.
    Yes I know.

That why I said standard settings. and not standard map.

Which is fine, as AUDI dignostics cant `see` the REVO code. And running standard settings means the car `feels` standard, but Im sure you know this.

I have quite a bit of experience with REVO`d cars, warranty, and dealer visits and it not a problem running REVO software and dealer transparency.

Paul
    Now:

Before:

BMW 320d M Sport

Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    etc....

Neutral

Status
    Yes I know.

That why I said standard settings. and not standard map.

Which is fine, as AUDI dignostics cant `see` the REVO code. And running standard settings means the car `feels` standard, but Im sure you know this.

I have quite a bit of experience with REVO`d cars, warranty, and dealer visits and it not a problem running REVO software and dealer transparency.

Paul
    So in your experience do you think it is worth having the select switch if using the REVO map?

S3 (8P)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by smbAudi View Post
    So in your experience do you think it is worth having the select switch if using the REVO map?
    If it gives peace of mind for dealer visits then I would say Yes.

fwiw I havent bothered so far, but probably will at some point just as to not ride my luck too long.

Cheers
    Paul
    Now:

Before:

BMW 320d M Sport

Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    etc....

KRL
    3rd Gear

Status
    Personally the main reason I have the Select Plus switch is so that I can tweak the settings. For me this is what makes REVO better than the other generic tunes out there as it gives you much more scope to take advantage of any other modifications you may have.
    Ice Silver S3 + every single option + REVO + BSH Street Can + Forge Twintake + Autotech

1st Gear

Status
    Theres a thread on here about someone having problems with AMD. Why not go with Shark Performance in Mansfield, worth travelling. Ben's got an octavia 2.0T with full milltek, intake and map, and its absolutley RAPID, go and see him and go out in the car, you won't be disappointed

Shark Performance =
    If you read the thread and my replies we have asked the customer countless times to bring the car back as there is something wrong with the car but untill he bring it back to us what can we do?

AmD Essex - West Thurrock, Essex 01708 861827- Open Mon-Sat. www.amdessex.com. 1000BHP 4WD Rolling Road-Workshop and Servicing- Mail Order- Chipping/Remapping from �299. Milltek- REVO - Mintex- Forge- SuperPro- KW - Weitec -Eibach- H&R- AP + more!

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by ben@amdessex View Post
    If you read the thread and my replies we have asked the customer countless times to bring the car back as there is something wrong with the car but untill he bring it back to us what can we do?
    I'm not knocking you Ben or AMD, I'm just sayin there was a thread with some1 who had used you and had problems, if he doens't come back to you, then there is nothing you can do

Now running on Bentley's y'all

Status
    In my dealings with AMD, I've found the guys incredibly helpful and professional. I'd recommend them to anybody. One thread with one whinging customer hardly suggests there's a problem with them - AMD must turn around more remaps per day than any other VAG tuner out there.
    A3 3.2 V6 S-Line | Brilliant Black | Full Votex Kit | 18" Cades Bern / 19" Bentley 5 Spokes in flat grey with 215/35 Falkens | Custom Code Remap
    V-Maxx coilovers | Remus exhaust | Pipercross Viper | Goodridge Brake Lines | RNS-E | Bluetooth | FBMFSW
    Previous VAGs: 99 S4 Biturbo | 06 Golf GT TDI | 08 A4 S-Line TDI PD140 | 02 Passat 4.0 W8
    Other toy: Suzuki GSX-R750 K3 Black/Silver

Leather arm rest for sale | S3 mirror covers for sale | 09 3dr tail lights wanted | Twin grills wanted PM me!

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Well said Pete, Nigel is very good friends with the AMD lot and Iggu had his S3 tuned there as well.

Status
    Nigel is very good friends with the AMD lot.
    Well in that case, I may retract my recommendation...
    A3 3.2 V6 S-Line | Brilliant Black | Full Votex Kit | 18" Cades Bern / 19" Bentley 5 Spokes in flat grey with 215/35 Falkens | Custom Code Remap
    V-Maxx coilovers | Remus exhaust | Pipercross Viper | Goodridge Brake Lines | RNS-E | Bluetooth | FBMFSW
    Previous VAGs: 99 S4 Biturbo | 06 Golf GT TDI | 08 A4 S-Line TDI PD140 | 02 Passat 4.0 W8

Leather arm rest for sale | S3 mirror covers for sale | 09 3dr tail lights wanted | Twin grills wanted PM me!

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Quote Originally Posted by V6Pete View Post
    Don't like Nigel do you?

Status
    Don't like Nigel do you?
    Naah we're cool

Rarely neutral

Status
    In my dealings with AMD, I've found the guys incredibly helpful and professional. I'd recommend them to anybody. One thread with one whinging customer hardly suggests there's a problem with them - AMD must turn around more remaps per day than any other VAG tuner out there.
    I'd agree with this completely.

I found AMD mainly through you guys,and have nothing but praise for the service and after-sales back up,and even more so for when I was having problems with the car running Stage2+.

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Naah we're cool
    Good

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Well said Pete, Nigel is very good friends with the AMD lot and Iggu had his S3 tuned there as well.
    Its Simon @ amd surrey I know & respect with 3 cars done by him & some mates, hasnt let me down once & never had one problem using his services, although amd essex seem to have a very good rep.

Just for you as its xmas Pete

Don't like Nigel do you?
    Lets keep this thread on cue N8, we had our fun already.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Status

Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Just for you as its xmas Pete