RNS-E Installation Into S3 2007

david_phillips95

Reaction score
Won this off ebay last week, was listed as "2004 audi a3 sat nav" with a buy it now of £450 so i snapped it up :)
Ordered the GPS antenna and 4 audi cd player removal pins so once they arrive ill get it installed.
Ill take some pics during the install and do a write up to help anyone else thinking of doing it.
Think it should be pretty simple, need to move a wire for the bose to work but apart from that i think its plug and play :laugh:
ill update this with any progress, heres a few pics of the unit:

IMG_0658.jpg

IMG_0664.jpg

Davie

Dont forget you'll need some vag com coding as well
Check this out, It should see you ok,
2007 S3(8P): Symphony II+ to RNS-E conversion
:icon_thumright:

Last edited:
I got a 2008 RNSE for £450 by the way from ebay member jarastech

I didnt have to do any vagcom programming apart from changing the front screen from Audi MMI to S3

this is a 2008 unit. you can see the date on the sticker ;)
congrats...enjoy it :beerchug:

I started by making sure the car was off, plug all your cd player removal pins in the four slots
IMG_0665.jpg

I attempted pulling the the pins with my hands but they are so thin they dig into your fingers some grabbed the trusty screwdrivers, just slot them through the pins as shown, be gentle it doesnt require much effort to remove the unit
IMG_0667.jpg

To remove the pins press the metal tab on the side of your cd player in and pull the pin out
IMG_0669.jpg

Dash was then masked off
IMG_0671.jpg

Remove the blue connecter plug from the quadlock and then remove the blue cover
IMG_0673.jpg

Remove cable from position 6 (brown cable) and move to position 7
IMG_0674.jpg

replace the blue cover back onto the plug and refit into the qudlock plug, i then plugged the quadlock into the RNS-E unit and also connected the aerial. The GPS unit has not yet arrived so i have fitted the RNS-E just to make sure it operates correctly and when the GPS unit arrives ill install it.
IMG_0675.jpg

The unit fitted into the dash
IMG_0680.jpg

Ill update this space when the GPS arrives.

Davie

:thumbsup:Looks really good, just waiting for NHN to deliver his and help install having see yours in can't wait to get it in.......

Nice post by the way very clear.

GPS unit arrived today, had some spare time so decided to get it fitted.

Firstly remove the plastic cover abov your steering wheel, just pull it towards youself, should come away easily
IMG_0681.jpg

This will expose the two 8mm bolts that hold the clocks in, i used a ratche with a 6inch extension. Be careful not to drop any bolts as they will be a pain to retrieve.
IMG_0684.jpg

Carefully extract the clocks from the dash, and move them to the side
IMG_0685.jpg

Clocks removed you should see this
IMG_0686.jpg

You can see from the picture where i placed the reciever, its a snug fit in there so will not rattle
IMG_0688.jpg

Route the GPS cable from its location through the dash, there are plenty of openings. This picture was taken from the clocks cutout you can see my finger poking through from the RNS-E side
IMG_0690.jpg

Set the gps cable to an acceptable length and cable tie to tidy up
IMG_0691.jpg

i then cable tied the gps cable to the existing loom
IMG_0697.jpg

As you can see the cable is about the same length as the existing loom
IMG_0698.jpg

and to finish off a picture of the nav functioning in the DIS
IMG_0702.jpg

Cheers Davie