Volks AutosEM Tuning
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 161 to 187 of 187
  1. #161
    Dec
    2nd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Colchester, Essex, United Kingdom
    Posts
    318
    Just been reading through this.. Quickly skim read it when it was first posted but didnt have time to write my condolences.

    Glad that the next time I read through it that all seems to be well though! Even if I had insurance and my 40k car got stolen I would probably break down Insurance would probably try to wangle out of it somehow I would imagine.

    At least its one less thing to worry about for christmas

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #162
    S3Alex's Avatar
    Rarely neutral

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    5,421
    So glad you got it back relatively unscathed after all of this.

    You've had a truly awful experience here,and I hope that the New Year treats you better.

    Happy Xmas

  4. #163
    Spin140's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Derbyshire, England
    Posts
    2,013
    Fantastic news Patrick, happy xmas pal.
    Wife - 12 BMW 320D 181 bhp, 8 Speed Auto, Melbourne Red, Heated Leather, privacy.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy. (Sold)
    Golf GTi MK6 - Revo stage 2, ITG, Milltek Race TBE, AP Racing 4 pot BBK - Sold.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy,Nav, Park sensors, 6 disc, Revo Stage 1, ITG Enclosed Intake - Sold
    BMW M135i F20 - Bloody good straight from the box !

    "Fast Cars are Safer...."

  5. #164
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    61
    Delighted for you

  6. #165
    waqi's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Yorkshire
    Posts
    150
    Sorry to hear the bad news but very glad you got it back with no major damage. Was just thinking, since you got the car back so quick, did the police take fingerprints etc?
    And make sure you try and get the mobile phones tracked with the IMEI's, at least that could help lead to the scum

  7. #166
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    35
    good news at last, v pleased for you. It must be an awful thing to go through.

    Never give up hope though... A mate of mine had his house burgled, keys taken and A3 nicked 18 months ago in Leeds. Turned up in Manchester in September. Police rang him saying "weve got your car and your stuffs in the boot still, you can come and collect it".

    Insurance had already paid out and he got a new one, so it was irrelevant.

    Makes you wonder who steals a car and drives round with the same stuff in the boot for over a year???

  8. #167
    sulaiman's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    283
    wow great news, get a tracker fitted for sure!

    A3 TDI Sport

  9. #168
    rasA4's Avatar
    Four Rings Mafia Specialist

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Deep
    Posts
    3,096
    just read back on this thread again, i wasnt expecting to this great news, absolutley made up for you and your family! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year

    Bee Five | A4 2.4 V6 30V Tip SE | OEM S4 Alloys | S4 Bumper | S4 Leathers | HIDs| Billy's & Bachs | I Aint new to this | Hit the THANKS Button if my post is any use |Thanks!

  10. #169
    shelltell 17's Avatar
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    7
    Forgive me for sounding thick, what is a cat list?

  11. #170
    V6Pete's Avatar
    Now running on Bentley's y'all

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Northants
    Posts
    1,492
    Quote Originally Posted by shelltell 17 View Post
    Forgive me for sounding thick, what is a cat list?
    Insurance Claim Categories


    Category A

    May not be resold. Must be crushed. Total burnout or flood damage (salt or foul water).
    Severely damaged with no serviceable parts, or already stripped out shell.
    DVLA require "Notification of Destruction".

    Category B

    May not be resold. Damaged beyond economical repair, usually with severe structural damage.
    DVLA require "Notification of Destruction".
    Parts can be removed and sold.

    Category C

    Repairable salvage. Usually applies to vehicles with significant (structural) damage, where cost of repairs exceeds book value.
    Can be sold for repair but must now have VIC inspection before returning to the road.
    Recorded as "Category C" at DVLA. Category C vehicles' V5 documents are returned to DVLA.
    You re-apply for registration on the original identity once the VIC inspection has done.
    VIC inspection and re-registration removes the Category C classification, but evidence it was at one time Category C remains on the vehicle's record at DVLA (and HPI and AA and the others).

    VIC inspection

    Straight from VOSA's web site "[The VIC] will involve comparing the vehicle presented against information held by DVLA, such as the vehicle identification number, make, model, colour and engine number.
    The VIC will also compare the record of previous accident damage with evidence of damage repair as well as checking other components to confirm the age and identity of the vehicle."
    Officially, the VIC does not check roadworthiness. If any significant defects are present, they can prevent it being used, but it is not a check of vehicle condition or roadworthiness. VIC tets centres in major towns, list on VOSA's site. It costs 35 (early 2005).

    Category D

    Repairable salvage. Minimal damage, probably not structural, but insurer does not want to repair, even though it might be economic to do so.
    Often stolen and recovered after claim has been paid. Or for unusual models or grey imports where the difficulty of obtaining new parts hinders a quick repair.
    Does not need VIC inspection to return to road. Recorded with HPI, AA, and the like.

    Category X

    Insurance-speak for 'Not Recorded', but subject to some claim and sold on by them as repairable salvage.
    Not recorded on registers at HPI, AA, .. or known at DVLA.
    Very light damage, or vehicle is fairly new. Requires minimal repair work.

    "Not Recorded"

    Not an official category, this is what you may see in a private advert.
    Usually means the owner only had third party insurance and they stuffed it themselves, so can't claim for it.
    Naturally, they aren't telling their insurance company - and they haven't told DVLA. Might be a total wreck, might be fixable.
    But - since DVLA don't know about it - there is no requirement for any inspection. Buying something like this, you are on your own, and you'd better know what you are doing mechanically.
    A3 3.2 V6 S-Line | Brilliant Black | Full Votex Kit | 18" Cades Bern / 19" Bentley 5 Spokes in flat grey with 215/35 Falkens | Custom Code Remap
    V-Maxx coilovers | Remus exhaust | Pipercross Viper | Goodridge Brake Lines | RNS-E | Bluetooth | FBMFSW
    Previous VAGs: 99 S4 Biturbo | 06 Golf GT TDI | 08 A4 S-Line TDI PD140 | 02 Passat 4.0 W8
    Other toy: Suzuki GSX-R750 K3 Black/Silver

    Leather arm rest for sale | S3 mirror covers for sale | 09 3dr tail lights wanted | Twin grills wanted PM me!

  12. #171
    shelltell 17's Avatar
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by V6Pete View Post
    Insurance Claim Categories


    Category A

    May not be resold. Must be crushed. Total burnout or flood damage (salt or foul water).
    Severely damaged with no serviceable parts, or already stripped out shell.
    DVLA require "Notification of Destruction".

    Category B

    May not be resold. Damaged beyond economical repair, usually with severe structural damage.
    DVLA require "Notification of Destruction".
    Parts can be removed and sold.

    Category C

    Repairable salvage. Usually applies to vehicles with significant (structural) damage, where cost of repairs exceeds book value.
    Can be sold for repair but must now have VIC inspection before returning to the road.
    Recorded as "Category C" at DVLA. Category C vehicles' V5 documents are returned to DVLA.
    You re-apply for registration on the original identity once the VIC inspection has done.
    VIC inspection and re-registration removes the Category C classification, but evidence it was at one time Category C remains on the vehicle's record at DVLA (and HPI and AA and the others).

    VIC inspection

    Straight from VOSA's web site "[The VIC] will involve comparing the vehicle presented against information held by DVLA, such as the vehicle identification number, make, model, colour and engine number.
    The VIC will also compare the record of previous accident damage with evidence of damage repair as well as checking other components to confirm the age and identity of the vehicle."
    Officially, the VIC does not check roadworthiness. If any significant defects are present, they can prevent it being used, but it is not a check of vehicle condition or roadworthiness. VIC tets centres in major towns, list on VOSA's site. It costs 35 (early 2005).

    Category D

    Repairable salvage. Minimal damage, probably not structural, but insurer does not want to repair, even though it might be economic to do so.
    Often stolen and recovered after claim has been paid. Or for unusual models or grey imports where the difficulty of obtaining new parts hinders a quick repair.
    Does not need VIC inspection to return to road. Recorded with HPI, AA, and the like.

    Category X

    Insurance-speak for 'Not Recorded', but subject to some claim and sold on by them as repairable salvage.
    Not recorded on registers at HPI, AA, .. or known at DVLA.
    Very light damage, or vehicle is fairly new. Requires minimal repair work.

    "Not Recorded"

    Not an official category, this is what you may see in a private advert.
    Usually means the owner only had third party insurance and they stuffed it themselves, so can't claim for it.
    Naturally, they aren't telling their insurance company - and they haven't told DVLA. Might be a total wreck, might be fixable.
    But - since DVLA don't know about it - there is no requirement for any inspection. Buying something like this, you are on your own, and you'd better know what you are doing mechanically.
    got it Thanks.
    2010 AUDI A5 2.0 TFSI SPORT

  13. #172
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    95
    All police, insurance companies etc use a database called MIAFTR (Motor Insurers Anti Fraud Theft Register)...

    I'm not sure whether it is just insurers that enter records on it or if police can too but they do use to find out who the responsible insurer is if a vehicle is subsequently recovered.

    Also it is very likely that your car details would of been entered on to the PNC and i'm uncertain whether this appears on a HPI report. So it is probably worth doing a full HPI report on your car after 2 weeks have passed (database update every 2 weeks)

    If both of these databases are absent of your car details then there is no way anyone else can find out from standard vehicle searches.

    HTH
    Collected 14 July - 2009 MY10 A3 1.9TDIe Sport 3dr in Brilliant Black
    Factory options: Cruise Control, Debadged, Chrome Exhaust tips
    Mods: CC Tuning remap.

  14. #173
    david_phillips95's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    538
    Really happy to hear that everything turned out ok for you mate, always gives you a little more faith that the police are doing a good job :D This will have brightened up your xmas, after this happening to you it has made me think that i should really get a tracker installed. Have a merry xmas and a happy new year buddy

    Davie

  15. #174
    mitch78's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    noun: a particular place or position
    Posts
    2,723
    No need for a tracker, a valid insurance certificate would be enough to make life much easier than Patrick has had these last few days.
    Ex 8L S3 driver

    also A3, 320, Golf, Clio, Astra, Focus, Mondeo, Laguna, Escort, Calibra, 220, others and now back to a Focus...

  16. #175
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    1,249
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch78 View Post
    No need for a tracker, a valid insurance certificate would be enough to make life much easier than Patrick has had these last few days.
    amen to that

  17. #176
    aristides's Avatar
    3rd Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Greece
    Posts
    543
    Well you finally got a break

    I`m very happy for you mate, i wanted to reply and sympathize but it seems you don`t need it anymore!

    Now go home, and start building a fortress for your little car just to be sure.

    All in all, your family is ok and your car is back. That`s what i call a good end of a year!

    I must say that after owning my car for around 1 1/2 year now, and reading through this forum for quite some time, i am still surprised with these incidents. I never thought Britain would have such a high crime rate (regarding cars for all i know) That`s pretty sad
    FOR SALE:

    RNS-e 2013 DVD, BK Version, NOT unit, DVD disc

    Steering ECU : 1k0 953 549 AH, ideal for Cruise Control retrofit

  18. #177
    PaulAr's Avatar
    S3 (8P)

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Tyne & Wear
    Posts
    4,050
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott View Post
    amen to that
    +1

    Trackers are essentially `insurance` for the insurance Companies. They get all the benefit yet we as the policy holders have to pay for it
    How does that work??

    If my car is stolen and abused/damaged/partly dismantled, then I certainly dont want it back.


    Still, great news for the OP

    Cheers
    Paul
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

    Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

    BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

  19. #178
    4th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    833
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulAr View Post
    +1

    Trackers are essentially `insurance` for the insurance Companies. They get all the benefit yet we as the policy holders have to pay for it
    How does that work??

    If my car is stolen and abused/damaged/partly dismantled, then I certainly dont want it back.


    Still, great news for the OP

    Cheers
    Paul
    If soemone stole my show ready pefection of a Skyline, id sure as hell would want it back.

  20. #179
    6th Gear

    Status
    Online
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    West Yorkshire
    Posts
    1,637
    Good news on the car!



    Audi A3 2.0L TDI S-Line Sportback

  21. #180
    10blazin's Avatar
    HYPERDRIVE NEEDED

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    gorton
    Posts
    3,272
    wow that's great new's mate really is ....im also gonna vote for the next party that say's there gonna nuke liverpool the scouse sh*t's , i effin hate scousers the chav ones anyhow that just rob for a living lol ......happy crimbo fella
    Last edited by 10blazin; 27th December 2009 at 17:33.

  22. #181
    mitch78's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    noun: a particular place or position
    Posts
    2,723
    N.B. Other stereotypes are also available.
    Ex 8L S3 driver

    also A3, 320, Golf, Clio, Astra, Focus, Mondeo, Laguna, Escort, Calibra, 220, others and now back to a Focus...

  23. #182
    mitch78's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    noun: a particular place or position
    Posts
    2,723
    Quote Originally Posted by 10blazin View Post
    ...im also gonna vote for the next party that say's there gonna nuke liverpool the scouse sh*t's , i effin hate scousers the chav ones anyhow that just rob for a living lol...
    Have you new developed a new kind of selective nuclear warhead between the first post and the newly updated post? Or is it just that the rest of the (non-chav) liverpudlians are an acceptable level of collateral damage?
    Ex 8L S3 driver

    also A3, 320, Golf, Clio, Astra, Focus, Mondeo, Laguna, Escort, Calibra, 220, others and now back to a Focus...

  24. #183
    Why danny boy why...

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Slough
    Posts
    28
    F#CK!! Sorry to hear about this mate, terrible thing to happen to anyone. Remember that this is a massive community and were all here to help bud.

  25. #184
    10blazin's Avatar
    HYPERDRIVE NEEDED

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    gorton
    Posts
    3,272
    Quote Originally Posted by mitch78 View Post
    Have you new developed a new kind of selective nuclear warhead between the first post and the newly updated post? Or is it just that the rest of the (non-chav) liverpudlians are an acceptable level of collateral damage?
    yes correct ..

  26. #185
    BlademanX's Avatar
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    London, England
    Posts
    7
    I joined this forum having read your story. It must have been heartbreaking to see your property being driven away. This ofcourse is everybodys worst nightmare. The crimes people in third world countries used to run away from is now happening here. No law protects innocent civilians. In America ofcourse you can own a gun and its not even only in USA..In other countries you can have a permit to own one to protect your family from armed robbers. But the UK will never allow such thing.

    Ofcourse your not allowed to touch invaders of your property by law. It just doesnt make sense..Believe it or not we had a big debate about this back in the day when i was in School and College..Can you imagine kids discussing this in schools..This is how big this issue of breaking and entry is.

    Im glad you got your car back mate. My older brothers car was stolen from Hendon in London. Then a few years later my mums Mercedes she paid 5 grand for was stolen by a tow truck. Both cars were never found again. Most likely broken up for parts or exported to foreign countries. I saw a tow truck come back into the compound months later. By the time i raced down 3 flights of stairs almost dropping on my face he was off and all the way up the road.

    Im glad this didnt happen with yours. I wouldnt call it pure luck mate...You only get lucky once or twice in life. Something as big as this has happened to others with worse results.

    37,000 pounds is big money and its three times bigger without a tracker and insurance. Hope you got the tracker and put the insurance on. I didnt tell you where i'm from Armed robbery is common. So electric barbwire fences, CCTV, security guards and shotguns dont go amiss. All this on residential homes! I grew up in Africa of course. Amazing to think this is going on in England and not much apart from reinforced front doors and alarms can be done to fix the problem.

    In London I see big expensive cars all the time..I always assumed they had all these things covered...but everyone is vulnerable to be honest..unless you live in asia with your own armed security...

    Happy you got the car back...crazy stuff

  27. #186
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    6
    wow what a story, glad you have your baby back, and i have just decided to pay my insurance premium right NOW!

    but i do believe it is time for investment. investment in a new dog. one with bigger teeth, and a louder bark. and possibly booby traps.

  28. #187
    Ibis S3 Fan Club

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Somewhere Cold
    Posts
    1,496
    Dumbstruck, shocked and totally feel for you.

 

 
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO