Audi's quattro v VW's 4 Motion....

tspar

Reaction score
Having just traded in my R32 for an S3 im noticing that the S3 has wheel spun in first a few times. Am i correct in thinking that the quattro puts it all through the front wheels until it decides that the rear needs a bit of stability and therefore isnt "True 4 wheel drive" in the same way as the "4 Motion" system is?. The R32 never once spun in the five years i had her.

Can anyone with "Knowledge" of these things clear this up for me please?:think:

Cheers
Tim

given that the systems on the 2 cars you've mentioned are essentially the same (Haldex) although depending on which age each the cars were, could be slightly different generations of the Haldex, I reckon it's more likely to be the fact the weight of you old V6 on the front wheels helped prevented them spinning in the R32 as much as then lighter engine in the S3.

Thats my starter for 10

tspar, long time no see :) Will drop you a PM.

As beanoir said, the systems are very similar (infact the S3 system is a newer revision and in my opinion better). If you think there may be a problem with the 4wd system try leaving your handbrake on the first click and pulling away quickly, you'll soon see what proper wheelspin is!!

Yes..But which ones faster? :)

I would say tires before anything else since they are the same system except for the S3 is the better more updated version(wouldn't rule out engine weight either

Having just traded in my R32 for an S3 im noticing that the S3 has wheel spun in first a few times. Am i correct in thinking that the quattro puts it all through the front wheels until it decides that the rear needs a bit of stability and therefore isnt "True 4 wheel drive" in the same way as the "4 Motion" system is?. The R32 never once spun in the five years i had her.

Can anyone with "Knowledge" of these things clear this up for me please?:think:

Cheers
Tim
Ah ha! Did you used to post on tyresmoke?
IIRC, you had a silver R32... Good choice with the S3!

More power and lighter front end, though i've never had big wheelspin from an 8p s3 so could also be bad tyres