An issue with my DIS

ryanstewart9

Reaction score
Some of you maybe aware that recently I had my cluster changed under warranty due to some dead pixels (which turned out to be a perfectly working cluster :haha:)

Well since getting the car back I have been back to the dealer twice over a couple of issues. Firstly, when I turned the ignition on with the original cluster the car would go through the process of telling me 'service due xxx miles', then 'passenger airbag on/off', then my dis would come up with the message 'press clutch to start car' and this message would stay on the dis until the car was started.

Now since having the new cluster fitted this message does not appear unless you try to start the car without the clutch in. Just wondered if anyone else's car does the same as mine did originally (2008/57 A3 SB TDi 140 if this helps)? Also is there anyway with Vag-Com to get my cluster to go through the process the original cluster did as my dealer just looks blankly at me.

Although my local dealer does not feel me with much confidence as it took them a whole day to decide the cluster needed changing in the first place, then once they changed it they left them in Kilometres and I now have the cluster lit up all the time :banghead: :keule:Oh and they broke my gear gaiter whilst the car was in their care and have yet to fix it!

I would just like to have the car as it was when I bought it.

Apologies for the rant....

Last edited:
I find it hard to trust dealers handy work, i usually get nothing but hassle when my car has been anywhere near them ha, not sure about your problems but im sure someone will be along shortly to answer your questions

Davie

You want those warnings BACK!?

By the sounds of it yours new one runs the same as mine. I get no warnings whatsoever when I turn the ignition on, the depress clutch warning only appears if you try to start without pressing it and I quickly got used to pressing the clutch every time :yes:

Just want the car as it was when I took the it in to them, but they dont seem to know how to turn the warning back on?

Yeah it sounds like the same as yours now Staz, only comes on if I turn the key without pressing the clutch.

You want those warnings BACK!?

By the sounds of it yours new one runs the same as mine. I get no warnings whatsoever when I turn the ignition on, the depress clutch warning only appears if you try to start without pressing it and I quickly got used to pressing the clutch every time :yes:

My 59 does this as well!! :)

Ryan - Did you know that you can cycle through the menu in the DIS and you can see the service in xxxx miles?

Yeah thanks cruiser89. That message is only flashing up at the moment because the oil service is due in 200 miles.

I still get the passenger airbag message, the only message that is different & the one Audi dont know how to replace is the 'Press Clutch to Start Car'.

At the moment it is the same as Staz's and only flashes up if I try to start the car without using the clutch, but when I bought the car that message would come up on the dis and stay there until I started the car.

Anyone else's car due the same as mine use to?

It makes it easier for the thief when they nick the car :racer:

Just want the car as it was when it went in to Audi. Anyone know if this can be changed through Vag-Com as the dealer is telling me it's not possible?

Ok a little update.

Been back to the dealer who have now replaced my gearstick due to them damaging it. They claim they have no idea what I'm talking about when it comes to the message on the dis so I guess I'll have to let that one go.

Now whilst the car was in, they have managed to turn off the sensor on my dials as during sunny periods the dials longer illuminate :banghead: (I shone a torch on it to make sure).

I'm guessing I may need your services again one day Staz as I have no faith in this dealer getting anything right....

You should of in hindsight done an adaptation channel list of the original cluster & coding & then compare it to your new cluster to see whats different, this could be done in the main menu of vagcom, this might have shown which adaptation channel was different as it can only really be this.

What they do when they change the cluster is via VAS & germany is to download the data of your cluster & the skc, hold it in the air or cloud as we call it, swap the new cluster over & ideally code to your car & upload your current clusters channel info into the replacement, now this is where it becomes fun given some audi techie's arent aswell trained, 1st hand experience of that comment trust me, if they see it isnt working for some reason, they just upload the data thats stored for your car in Germany that may be slightly different to your current cluster, therefore thats maybe why you've lost your info.

The other reason is, your cluster has been superseded or the firmware has been updated to remove that option for your version of cluster, shame you dont have the original cluster to check anymore, I might go & play with some adaptation channels.

Also its probably setup now just to highlight the airbag light in console when disabled as mine is & I've got an 08/09 cluster, I just tried this but no change in my DIS, but have you got the passenger airbag deactivation lock in the glovebox, if so then turn it of & see if the DIS shows a message then, doubt it but worth a check.

Ah....like you said Nigel, hindsight is a wonderful thing. Problem is I am yet another member who doesn't have direct access to VCDS (hence I will need the services of Staz to get the cluster sensor working with the dial lighting again).

I still get the airbag on message when I turn the ignition on and I do have the deactivation lock in the glovebox so I will give it a go turning it off and see if I still get a message come up on the dis.

Why not invest in VCDS mate, hint hint.

Funny Nige the wife said the same thing, but I must admit I'm a little concerned as I'm not exactly gifted when it comes to computers.

On another note I switched the passenger airbag off and I still get the message on the dis.

Dont be daft mate, trust me sold vagcom to some people who openly admitted they were useless with pc's, not one has come back with a problem, so no excuses now fella, pm if interested.

I will play with adaptations, gotta be careful though, report if get anywhere.