S3 back to 335d

nicks3

Reaction score
It was a hard decision for me to sell my old remapped 335d and go back to an S3 but I did it in September and have been trying to get used to the S3 ever since! I like the S3 but miss the awesome, instant torque of the 335d and placed an order for a new one last Friday.

Anyone wanting to reserve an as new S3 S tronic for March then let me know!!

The S3 is a great car but sadly its not for me any more (this is my third, the others being the original model) - perhaps its because I am 43 now!!!!!!!!!!

You should have remapped your S! woulda kept you happy for MUUUCH longer :)

No way, the 3.0 twin turbo BMW diesel is an animal when remapped, 350bhp and over 500ftlb torque. 0-60 in under 6 sec (5 series) and RWD.

No way, the 3.0 twin turbo BMW diesel is an animal when remapped, 350bhp and over 500ftlb torque. 0-60 in under 6 sec (5 series) and RWD.

ive just p/x my remapped 535 m sport for a new Audi A6 2.7 tdi Q , I had the bm for 2 winters , I did not want it a 3rd awfull in ice ,snow, and not really good in the wet, good old 4 wheel drive :thumbsup:

I must agree, my 530 in the ice is just a joke, where my A4 Q was sublime.

I'd rather have a chassis that was sublime in normal weather and a joke on snow and ice...not the other way round :lmfao:

Snowflakes started to fall today :yahoo:

Wish I had the dilemma of choosing between an S3 and 335d!

I do love the 335d though. White M-Sport Coupe with 19s and Red Leather would do me fine... :wub:

Is it a Coupe? What colour etc.?

I'd rather have an interior, that was as far away from the word BLAND as possible :laugh:

I'll take my BLAND interior with its perfect driving position, A+ seats, and soothing lighting, over one less bland but with 'orrible seats, red/white illumination headache and flakey rattley doorcards aaaaaaany day

:eiertritt:

:friends:

Saloon Msport in space grey with black leather and lots of goodies including logic 7 stereo. Fitting 19's when it comes.

The S3 is a great car and VERY grippy in the wet whereas my last 335d spent most of the winter with its traction light flashing! I still miss it though, thats why I've ordered another. Theres just something about the way that twin turbo d goes when remapped, awesome and however quick the S3 is it wouldnt live with a mapped 335d on a dry road (before anyone mentions wet weather!!!).

They are different cars. Both quick in their own way and if I could have mapped the S3 then maybe I would have kept it but it just doesnt feel quick enough for me after the mapped 335d. I know it is unfair to compare a mapped car to a non mapped one but I have no choice as no-one can give me what i want from the S3 - at the end of the day I dont think any other engine will give the low down grunt of the mapped 335d (520 ish lbft at 1750rpm........).

I knew that would get you going! Oh yeah Orange dials = :puke:

I find the orange much more soothing to my old, bloodshot eyes :drag:

Saloon Msport in space grey with black leather and lots of goodies including logic 7 stereo. Fitting 19's when it comes.

Excellent colour :thumbsup:

(before anyone mentions wet weather!!!).

Aw,can I? I just wanted to say it doesn't rain all the time...:eyebrows:

Same dilema, but not looking to buy till Feb 10 and will buy used. It's going to be 335d / 335i / S3 / Edition 30

Not fussed about the 4wd drivetrain on the S3, I dont want high drivetrain losses when rolling.

Think though i'm going to end up with an Editon 30 as had a few BMW's in the past but never a Golf GTI.

Try a mapped 335d mate you wont look back.

I did........and then had to look forward again!!!!

I knew that would get you going! Oh yeah Orange dials = :puke:

Ah-HA!

My Dials are white!

img1234td.jpg

Last edited:
I'll take my BLAND interior with its perfect driving position, A+ seats, and soothing lighting, over one less bland but with 'orrible seats, red/white illumination headache and flakey rattley doorcards aaaaaaany day

:eiertritt:

:friends:

So you had a Peugot before then?:uhm:

I'm only 31 :laugh: but I had a very hard paper round...

:sign_ot: yes I know. Back o/t, did I say getting a 335 was a good idea, or did I just think it?

not too tricky actually, gotta be good with a soldering iron though.

I know exactly what you mean as I'm lucky enough to have owned both at the same time except my S3 was at stage 2 plus and the 335d although an amazing car and absolute animal would not leave a stage 2+ in any scenario except perhaps 100mph, top gear foot down on the motorway where the additional torque really makes itself felt.

I can understand you going back to one though as its the way the 335d goes about it's daily business thats so impressive, the speed and power is effortless and almost silent, some of my track buddies have nicknamed my 335 the 'silent assasin'.

On the subject of RWD and winter well yes theres a problem for the odd day we may have snow but the rest of the year more than makes up for it and the only reason we have such issues is we haven't woken up to winter tyres in this country, give me a 335d with winter tyres over any summer tyred shod quattro any day of the winter.

I think the 335d ticks every box, its gorgeous, handles sublimely and has a real feel good factor to it, in fact if it had a manual I'd still be using it instead of the Mrs, when its time for a really hard drive its a manaul for me all day long, hence my love for the S3, mapped it ticks every box.

If I had to choose between the 2 I have some very sleepless nights.

I had the 335i (still a stubborn Derv sceptic and NOT an Auto fan) on my next car shortlist, along with an EVOX, SUBARU, S4, S3, etc.. but although my least favorourite in the looks dept I liked the idea of trying RWD ownership and 6 cyilinders and 2 Turbos. :yum:

So, since then Ive had a blast in a mates E92 M3. Its a BIG car from the outside, but disappointingly it really feels it:3sadwalk:. In fact it feels much bigger than the E46.
And on that experience I reckon the 3 series is about as diffrent as you can get to an S3.

Its still on the list though;)

cheers
Paul

I had the 335i (still a stubborn Derv sceptic and NOT an Auto fan) on my next car shortlist, along with an EVOX, SUBARU, S4, S3, etc.. but although my least favorourite in the looks dept I liked the idea of trying RWD ownership and 6 cyilinders and 2 Turbos. :yum:

So, since then Ive had a blast in a mates E92 M3. Its a BIG car from the outside, but disappointingly it really feels it:3sadwalk:. In fact it feels much bigger than the E46.
And on that experience I reckon the 3 series is about as diffrent as you can get to an S3.

Its still on the list though;)

cheers
Paul

I've driven a couple of E90 and E92's, and didn't find them any bigger than the A4 / S4 I had before. It's definitely a bigger car than an A3 though - personally I find the A3 a bit small though tbh.

Im just selling my E92 330i M sport coupe at the moment. Dont like the auto box or the runflats, interior is only nice when you have the idrive otherwise it feels empty.

The lighting pack on them is very nice though and prob one of the 1st things i do to my s3 sportback come monday! On that topic does anyone havea link to a retrofit guide?

Oh if anyone is looking for the above car give me a pm and i will give link to the pistonheads ad (dont want to get told off by the mods)!

better than what? better than an poke in the eye, definately.

I like the idea of a 335d, but not when there's no manual option, I'd rather make do with the 330d and gearbox I like.

I had a 56 plate 330D MSport, which was my first diesel, and I was very pleased with it. I hadn't been bitten by the tuning bug back then, but with the revised engine and a DMS map I am sure it won't be that far behind the 335D in terms of usable performance, and you get to spec the manual box. Winner.

:friends: Ah Paul, I knew all along you were a good 'un. The 335 is a great car; I dearly missed the engine note and drive when I moved to the 3, but I have now settled into life with a four pot and the tangible turbo power delivery. What I don't miss are the RFTs (good concept though), M Sport suspension and auto box (which the dealer Jedi mind tricked me into thinking would be a better option in terms of resale:asskicking:). If I defect back to the dark side my first mods would be to put some normal rubber on it and sort out the springs. But for the moment all is good with Audi, so I am happy.:thumbsup: