S3 back to 335d

I had a 56 plate 330D MSport, which was my first diesel, and I was very pleased with it. I hadn't been bitten by the tuning bug back then, but with the revised engine and a DMS map I am sure it won't be that far behind the 335D in terms of usable performance, and you get to spec the manual box. Winner.

:friends: Ah Paul, I knew all along you were a good 'un. The 335 is a great car; I dearly missed the engine note and drive when I moved to the 3, but I have now settled into life with a four pot and the tangible turbo power delivery. What I don't miss are the RFTs (good concept though), M Sport suspension and auto box (which the dealer Jedi mind tricked me into thinking would be a better option in terms of resale:asskicking:). If I defect back to the dark side my first mods would be to put some normal rubber on it and sort out the springs. But for the moment all is good with Audi, so I am happy.:thumbsup:

Never say never mate, but Im hoping that BMW bring something out that I can get excited about in the looks dept so it broadens my options in the future.
The way they drive is not in question, and I suppose you could get used to the cabin.
But for me a car needs to turn my head before I want to get in it and drive it, then spend the money on one.
Looks are of course down to personal taste, so heres hoping:sos:

cheers
Paul

Never say never mate, but Im hoping that BMW bring something out that I can get excited about in the looks dept so it broadens my options in the future.
The way they drive is not in question, and I suppose you could get used to the cabin.
But for me a car needs to turn my head before I want to get in it and drive it, then spend the money on one.
Looks are of course down to personal taste, so heres hoping:sos:

cheers
Paul

:beerchug: Well said Paul.

*Can't wait for the snow and Quattro combo this year though. :anbet:

I was thinking about getting a Hilux invincible (I live in a rural area). That would be awesome in the snow I reckon.

I was thinking about getting a Hilux invincible (I live in a rural area). That would be awesome in the snow I reckon.

I read that as Hilman at first and thought WTF! :uhm: Anyways one google search later...yeah that looks like a piece of kit. I am on the edge of the Dales and got snowed in last year on a 1:10000000000000 (maybe not, but you get the idea) incline. Actually what am I thinking, being snowed in is all good. :keule:

Well put Spin140. Only someone who had knowledge of both cars could sum it up that way. The problem I have is that due to the restrictions of the stronic gearbox I can't map the car and get the results you manual guys get.

My 335d was mapped and I always planned to map the S3 and it just isnt the car it could be when mapped, as you will know better than me. Comparing my mapped 335d to the standard S3 just isnt fair but I dont have a choice so back the 335d am I.

Audi Driver v BMW Driver's constant love for each other = win :laugh:

if I can only have a bmw or a g-wiz, this is going to be a really tough choice.

just this week

Monday, a 5 GT conveniently parked on the other side of central island, and blocked the road, saw me, didn't bother to move at all. I had to drive on the curb to get through.
thesday, a 730i comfortably drive along the bus lane, and cut people in with no indication.
can not wait to see what is on today.

if I can only have a bmw or a g-wiz, this is going to be a really tough choice.

just this week

Monday, a 5 GT conveniently parked on the other side of central island, and blocked the road, saw me, didn't bother to move at all. I had to drive on the curb to get through.
thesday, a 730i comfortably drive along the bus lane, and cut people in with no indication.
can not wait to see what is on today.

:lmfao:

Two words: Audi drivers :p

I drive the same way in my Audi as I did in all of my BMW's so does that mean that all Audi drivers are jerks too.....?

This BMW driver hatred is bull...t, there are plenty of idiotic drivers out there and I can assure you they don't all drive bm's.

Sounds to me like Nick has made his mind up.

I'd have a 335i manual at the drop of a hat but the PCP's on offer just don't compare to the S3 due to it's superior future value. Like I said before it all depends on mileage and how the individual drives, noone should knock Nicks choice until they have tried both, fun = S3, torque monster = 335d.

Its only higher on a PCP contract though right? I doubt if someone bought both cars outright the 335d would be worth alot less or am I mistaken? BMW's generally get undervalued on pcp's to increase equity come changeover day. Anyways, NOONE ANSWER THAT ONE OK?! :) back to topic, great choice mate, I think they are awesome cars. Love the feel of driving bmw's with that rwd. Yes they kinda suck in the snow but I'd always have one. Even over an S3. Totally different cars though and I don't understand why there is so much bm bashing lol I seem to think they are great cars!! Oh and they make the best engines period. Yes I'm an audi fan lol :)

You can't remap the revised Stronic box yet. Believe me I have looked into that and even had Steve at Stattler check with GIAC in USA. No plans yet.....

Even when they can, to be able to get decent results they have to increase the oil pressure within the gearbox to clamp the clutches harder to reduce clutch slip and also raise the torque limiters within the box and I have long term fears for the gearbox and especially the clutches for anyone following that route.

My old 335d was simple, run the car in, get it rempped and enjoy. No fears or problems for the 25,000 miles I had it. Just an absolute beast.

Last edited:
Love the feel of driving bmw's with that rwd. Yes they kinda suck in the snow but I'd always have one.

There's no sucky cars, just sucky drivers :laugh:

This morning on the way to work I saw counted 16 abandoned vehicles - 2 lorries tangled together on the slip road, a mini-Mercedes club meeting (5 Benzes and a Mini all abandoned in a row) a Nova, Golf, Corsa, 911 and a Hilux :uhm:

I made it. Was an hour late because of the ***** but still grinning like a fool. Really needed a wee by the time I got to the office though :happy: