Sky InsuranceAH Fabrications
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S3 back to 335d

S3 (8P)

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by AuldReekie View Post
    I had a 56 plate 330D MSport, which was my first diesel, and I was very pleased with it. I hadn't been bitten by the tuning bug back then, but with the revised engine and a DMS map I am sure it won't be that far behind the 335D in terms of usable performance, and you get to spec the manual box. Winner.

Ah Paul, I knew all along you were a good 'un. The 335 is a great car; I dearly missed the engine note and drive when I moved to the 3, but I have now settled into life with a four pot and the tangible turbo power delivery. What I don't miss are the RFTs (good concept though), M Sport suspension and auto box (which the dealer Jedi mind tricked me into thinking would be a better option in terms of resale). If I defect back to the dark side my first mods would be to put some normal rubber on it and sort out the springs. But for the moment all is good with Audi, so I am happy.
    Never say never mate, but Im hoping that BMW bring something out that I can get excited about in the looks dept so it broadens my options in the future.
    The way they drive is not in question, and I suppose you could get used to the cabin.
    But for me a car needs to turn my head before I want to get in it and drive it, then spend the money on one.
    Looks are of course down to personal taste, so heres hoping

cheers
    Paul
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

2. # ADS
    ADS

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulAr View Post
    Never say never mate, but Im hoping that BMW bring something out that I can get excited about in the looks dept so it broadens my options in the future.
    The way they drive is not in question, and I suppose you could get used to the cabin.
    But for me a car needs to turn my head before I want to get in it and drive it, then spend the money on one.
    Looks are of course down to personal taste, so heres hoping

cheers
    Paul
    Well said Paul.

*Can't wait for the snow and Quattro combo this year though.

automatic

Status
    Well said Paul.

I can't wait for the snow...full stop
    Still loving the 130i like the sideways dirtbag I am

My BM is fixed!

Status
    I was thinking about getting a Hilux invincible (I live in a rural area). That would be awesome in the snow I reckon.
    Chris

The problem with common sense, is that its not that common.

See my images @
    http://www.christianfrench.co.uk

Own a dreaded BMW? http://www.bmw-sport.net

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by A4Quattro View Post
    I was thinking about getting a Hilux invincible (I live in a rural area). That would be awesome in the snow I reckon.
    I read that as Hilman at first and thought WTF! Anyways one google search later...yeah that looks like a piece of kit. I am on the edge of the Dales and got snowed in last year on a 1:10000000000000 (maybe not, but you get the idea) incline. Actually what am I thinking, being snowed in is all good.

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by HotboxDeluxe View Post
    I can't wait for the snow...full stop
    And a long Autobahn ausfahrt...don't forget the pampers mind.

automatic

Status
    You've seen these Autobahn ausfahrts, correct? Almost always 180 degrees of looping yippeeee

4th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by HotboxDeluxe View Post
    You've seen these Autobahn ausfahrts, correct? Almost always 180 degrees of looping yippeeee
    Stimmt. There are some vids on YouTube with a couple of Dutch guys giving it some.

S3 (8P)

Status
    Well said Paul.

Affirmative AR, even the S3 can do tail wagging stuff in the white stuff if you get lairy.

Paul
    Now:
    -MK2 Golf Gti 16V/VR6, Oak Green, Shrick, Intake, Decat, Kish Retrim, Lenso BSX..
    -BMW 335d Xdrive, Estoril Blue, fully loaded.

Before:
    S3 (8P), Ibis, DSG, Milltek, SHARK

BMW 320d M Sport
    S3 (8P), Sprint, REVO, H&R Springs, BBS CHs,

Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - REVO Stage1, Red.
    Golf MK5 GTi 20TFSI - Std, Shadow Blue
    Civic Type `R`
    Golf MK4 GTi 18T - 200bhp, MTM ECU, Forge DV
    Golf MK3 VR6 - Cat Back
    Corrado VR6 - JAMEX
    Corrado G60 - JAMEX, BRM Charger rebuild
    etc....

2nd Gear

Status
    Well put Spin140. Only someone who had knowledge of both cars could sum it up that way. The problem I have is that due to the restrictions of the stronic gearbox I can't map the car and get the results you manual guys get.

My 335d was mapped and I always planned to map the S3 and it just isnt the car it could be when mapped, as you will know better than me. Comparing my mapped 335d to the standard S3 just isnt fair but I dont have a choice so back the 335d am I.

nvc
    Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by N8 View Post
    Audi Driver v BMW Driver's constant love for each other = win

if I can only have a bmw or a g-wiz, this is going to be a really tough choice.

just this week

Monday, a 5 GT conveniently parked on the other side of central island, and blocked the road, saw me, didn't bother to move at all. I had to drive on the curb to get through.
    thesday, a 730i comfortably drive along the bus lane, and cut people in with no indication.
    can not wait to see what is on today.

automatic

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by nvc View Post
    if I can only have a bmw or a g-wiz, this is going to be a really tough choice.

just this week

Monday, a 5 GT conveniently parked on the other side of central island, and blocked the road, saw me, didn't bother to move at all. I had to drive on the curb to get through.
    thesday, a 730i comfortably drive along the bus lane, and cut people in with no indication.
    can not wait to see what is on today.

Two words: Audi drivers

2nd Gear

Status
    I drive the same way in my Audi as I did in all of my BMW's so does that mean that all Audi drivers are jerks too.....?

This BMW driver hatred is bull...t, there are plenty of idiotic drivers out there and I can assure you they don't all drive bm's.

N8
    Kowalski Details

Status

My Social Networking

Add N8 on Facebook Visit N8's Instagram Channel
    Nick you can now get software for the dsg to make it fully manual in tip mode.

6th Gear

Status
    Sounds to me like Nick has made his mind up.

I'd have a 335i manual at the drop of a hat but the PCP's on offer just don't compare to the S3 due to it's superior future value. Like I said before it all depends on mileage and how the individual drives, noone should knock Nicks choice until they have tried both, fun = S3, torque monster = 335d.
    Wife - 12 BMW 320D 181 bhp, 8 Speed Auto, Melbourne Red, Heated Leather, privacy.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy. (Sold)
    Golf GTi MK6 - Revo stage 2, ITG, Milltek Race TBE, AP Racing 4 pot BBK - Sold.
    10 S3 SB, Phantom, Buckets,Int light Pack, Privacy,Nav, Park sensors, 6 disc, Revo Stage 1, ITG Enclosed Intake - Sold
    BMW M135i F20 - Bloody good straight from the box !

"Fast Cars are Safer...."

My BM is fixed!

Status
    Why is the residual of the S3 higher then?
    Chris

The problem with common sense, is that its not that common.

See my images @
    http://www.christianfrench.co.uk

Own a dreaded BMW? http://www.bmw-sport.net

tku
    3rd Gear

Status
    Its only higher on a PCP contract though right? I doubt if someone bought both cars outright the 335d would be worth alot less or am I mistaken? BMW's generally get undervalued on pcp's to increase equity come changeover day. Anyways, NOONE ANSWER THAT ONE OK?! back to topic, great choice mate, I think they are awesome cars. Love the feel of driving bmw's with that rwd. Yes they kinda suck in the snow but I'd always have one. Even over an S3. Totally different cars though and I don't understand why there is so much bm bashing lol I seem to think they are great cars!! Oh and they make the best engines period. Yes I'm an audi fan lol

2nd Gear

Status
    You can't remap the revised Stronic box yet. Believe me I have looked into that and even had Steve at Stattler check with GIAC in USA. No plans yet.....

Even when they can, to be able to get decent results they have to increase the oil pressure within the gearbox to clamp the clutches harder to reduce clutch slip and also raise the torque limiters within the box and I have long term fears for the gearbox and especially the clutches for anyone following that route.

My old 335d was simple, run the car in, get it rempped and enjoy. No fears or problems for the 25,000 miles I had it. Just an absolute beast.
    Last edited by nicks3; 17th December 2009 at 09:41.

automatic

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tku View Post
    Love the feel of driving bmw's with that rwd. Yes they kinda suck in the snow but I'd always have one.
    There's no sucky cars, just sucky drivers

This morning on the way to work I saw counted 16 abandoned vehicles - 2 lorries tangled together on the slip road, a mini-Mercedes club meeting (5 Benzes and a Mini all abandoned in a row) a Nova, Golf, Corsa, 911 and a Hilux

I made it. Was an hour late because of the arses but still grinning like a fool. Really needed a wee by the time I got to the office though

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12