Audi Navigation Plus Issue (Amongst General Newbie Questions)

Y D K

Reaction score
Hi all,

First time buyer, first time poster so please be patient if this has been asked before, I did peruse the forum through the browse function but nothing specific to my query was brought up!

I purchased a 57 plate Audi S3 from a dealership today and they informed me that the Navigation Plus system was faulty. I tried using DVD1 when I initially got into the car and it appeared to work until it froze, at which point I turned off the system and turned it back on again to find the GPS display on the screen.

I tested the CD drive with some audio CD's which were playing without an issue initially, however later on the journey home when I attempted to play an Audio CD I received the error message 'incorrectly inserted' and 'dvd/cd could not be read'. This is the same message that appears when I try to insert the DVD for the navigation.

I assume that this is a reader issue and can be easily repaired, however the dealership (not Audi official) told me they had been quoted at £3k to have it fixed (although I'm not too sure I believe that). The car is under warranty till September, so I assume Audi would honour the warranty on it?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum.

I wouldn't worry about it, take it straight back to Audi ASAP and get it done under warrenty.

Although, I would of assumed that having bought it from a reputable dealer they would have had it fixed for you first.

Last edited:
Thanks PNS, much appreciated.

To be fair I did get the car at a discount, apparently the system was damaged beyond economical repair (the dealerships words not mine) however if the fault is intermittent surely it's not majorly serious.

A few other newbie q's;

I need a set of floor mats for the front and the back, I was pretty miffed to find the car didn't come with them! Would my local Audi dealership sell them, I'd be looking for the monogrammed S3 ones, I'm guessing they're around £60 for front and rear?

Also , what are the recommended service intervals for the S3 and likely costs for a standard service?

Thanks Khufu, will make a similar thread over there.

In your experience would this be warranty covered?

If the car is under warranty, it's covered (unless it was retro fitted of course). If they try say anything else they're fobbing you off. The cost of any repair needed is irrelevant.

Thanks Khufu, will make a similar thread over there.

In your experience would this be warranty covered?

As per Mitch, was it sold "with SatNav" or did they inform you before you bought it that it didn't work?

£3K is a joke, if they get sticky saying that they informed you before you bought the car you could try offer to get them to pay for 2nd hand off ebay?

Then informed me that the Sat Nav feature wasn't working, however they were also unaware that audio cd's were loaded in the same drive as the DVD roms for the sat nav.

The fact that vehicle seems to be receiving the GPS signal (compass directions are shown on the driver information system) seems to indicate that the GPS itself is fine.

I'm sure it's a problem with the CD drive itself as opposed to the running of the navigation.

I'm going to take it to Slough Audi as my family have a history of using them and they've always been really helpful.

If your unsure on whether or not it original spec equipment, check the PR codes usually found in your service book or a sticker on the boot floor

http://www.ross-tech.net/vag-com/advertising/PRCodeTechTip.pdf

then enter the codes into this web site

http://prsearch.planetvag.com/

It will give you the complete spec of your car.

If it is not an original fitted RNS-e then look up Rabbit or Haggie on audiforum.us they seem to be the ones in the know. Otherwise I think Nigel (NHN) has fixed a few and knows his stuff.

Cheers

Neil

off topic slightly, but anyone know if there is a way to get speed cameras on your RNS-E?

Thanks all.

Audi have assessed the Sat Nav and are fixing the unit and replacing the discs under warranty on the 5th January :)

Yeap its the dvd drive alright, well known issue if you get unreadable errors on cd's & nav disc, either whole drive needs replacing at 200 notes or the laser itself, its certainly not 3k as even a new unit is only 1.5-2k from audi anyway iirc, so thats ballshivicks for 1, also if you bought the car from the audi dealership with the unit, then the warranty covers it end of, sold with not an after addon by you.

& Mitch, TomTom, love it, lmfao