EM TuningBadger5
    Living a little!

Status

Upgrade headlight bulbs?

Im used to xenons and halogen really doesn't compete!

A3 TDI 2004 - Is there a much better bulb that can replace the OEM headlight bulb for a much brighter clearer light? I know of the blue crap that halfrauds sell, dont wanna go down that route but thought some my have a tried and tested a few??

2. # ADS
    ADS

Yes there are. In a recent test in Auto Express Philips Vision Plus came out best in the Plus 50 section and Philips X-treme Power came out best in the 50 Plus section both gaining a 5 star overall rating and beam ratings of 154 and 172 respectively.

A number of members have also used the Osram Night Breaker bulbs and these were given a 4 star overall rating and a beam rating of 142.

Personally I used the Philips Vision Plus bulbs in previous A3s before I had OEM Xenons and they were a big improvement over the standard bulbs.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

Living a little!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    Yes there are. In a recent test in Auto Express Philips Vision Plus came out best in the Plus 50 section and Philips X-treme Power came out best in the 50 Plus section both gaining a 5 star overall rating and beam ratings of 154 and 172 respectively.

A number of members have also used the Osram Night Breaker bulbs and these were given a 4 star overall rating and a beam rating of 142.

Personally I used the Philips Vision Plus bulbs in previous A3s before I had OEM Xenons and they were a big improvement over the standard bulbs.

Cheers Dave. I may invest in a set as the previous owner replaced with a set of RING ice blue 55w H7. Not the best, but then how much better can you get from a halogen without retrofitting HID or Xenons.

Living a little!

Status
    Any experience with the X-power version? Claims to give 30% extra than the Philips VisionPlus.

http://www.lighting.philips.com/in_e...=en%20target=
    Last edited by karbonk; 13th December 2009 at 19:59.

Quote Originally Posted by karbonk View Post
    Any experience with the X-power version? Claims to give 30% extra than the Philips VisionPlus.

No experience personally because I have had OEM Xenons on my two A3s since 2007.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

6th Gear

Status
    I've got Osram nightbreakers, they look nicer and better vision, by how much? no idea to be honest, i'm happy!
    B6 1.8T Avant s line gmbh

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by karbonk View Post

Had these on my old boxster s alongside the xenons. Having had the vision plus on my leon cupra r i would recommend them, they were nearly a match for the xenons

Living a little!

Status
    The Xtreme-Power seems the way forward, but at the same time want to achieve the xenon look.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product...of_winter.html
    Last edited by karbonk; 13th December 2009 at 22:17.

Living a little!

Status
    I fitted the Philips X-treme Bulbs. TBH not that impressed with them. They didnt seem any brighter that the ones I took out that were RING ice blue bulbs put in by the prv. owner.

Perhaps coming from a prev S3 & my other car with Bi-xenons im being spoilt!

I noticed these are only 55w. Are there any recommended more powerful bulbs e.g 10/80w?

Last edited by karbonk; 17th December 2009 at 11:50.

Reverse Gear

Status
    I've got the Osram Night Breakers - much better but a total pig to fit to an 09 A3!

They don't make changing them very easy..
    A3 Sport Cabriolet 1.6 TDi | Garnet Red Pearl | Luxor Beige Leather | BOSE | iPod Connection | 17" 10 Spoke V Design Alloys | Fitted by VWCruise.com: Cruise Control

6th Gear

Status

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by tdi-man View Post
    One word, illegal.

Living a little!

Status
    Dont want to go down that route. Unless someone gives me a guarantee, free parts and free fitting. Likely?...No.

6th Gear

Status
    oh rite whats wrong with them ????

North East Forum Moderator

Status
    I've got the Phillips X-treme and although there is an improvement, I wouldn't say its a massive one.

Website | Facebook | Audi TT 2.0TDI 170 Quattro

3rd Gear

Status
    the aftermarket HID's burn out the wiper motor. and are illegal
    rs6's, H&R 35mm, lamin-x, vinyl wrapped grill, cupra splitter, black wing mirrors, de-badged, bmc air filter

6th Gear

Status
    my head lights dont have wiper motor

my head lights dont have wiper motor
    No but your car does and it's the main windcsreen wiper motor that gets burned out.

And Yes the Department for Transport do regard aftermarket HID units as illegal. Here is a link to their factsheet:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps
    Dave R (h5djr)