Knocking noise coming from open sky sunroof?

Johnnyb

Reaction score
Hello all

As some of you know i picked up my new S3 SB last week, but from the first day i drove in it i noticed a constant knocking noise coming from the section of sunroof above my head, i thought it may go away but its not and its really annoying

I was thinking it might be cos its new and needs bedding in, but im tempted to ring Audi - what do you guys think?

Thanks​

I get a loud 'clunk' noise from my open sky every time the car gets the slightest body roll. It's been there since new but gets worse and more frequent with time. Audi had a look a few times:

1st time: They couldn't hear the sound. The guy checking HAD to be deaf...honestly :asskicking:

2nd time: They acknowledged the prob is there, but couldn't fix it. After that 'check up' the rear wiper wouldn't work properly.

3rd time: I had them book the car for a whole week. It's going in for a complete week in January. They need to find it, inform me, and fix it. Elsewise, they are not getting a penny out of me again.

Audi service is being rediculous once again. It's becoming increasingly annoying. As much as I enjoy the S3, I've never had so many problems with a car and never such a bad customer service. Never.

Hello all

As some of you know i picked up my new S3 SB last week, but from the first day i drove in it i noticed a constant knocking noise coming from the section of sunroof above my head, i thought it may go away but its not and its really annoying

I was thinking it might be cos its new and needs bedding in, but im tempted to ring Audi - what do you guys think?

Thanks​

As nice as this looks I'm glad I didnt spec this. I was put off after reading about another forum member not getting the problem solved and think he ordered a new one - cant remember who it was.

My advice is if they cant fix it then reject the car. Simples.

Make sure Audi customer care know about your problem as well so they can ensure they work with dealer to resolve the issue or replace your car.

Thanks fellas

Well when it comes to knocking noises i try my best to ignore them or hope they go away, but im finding myself turning up my radio volume quite loud so i cant hear it, it almost sounds like its the glass rubbing against the seal but i opened it up whilst driving and it was still there, then i thought it was the blind that you can pull accross but again i held it in place and it still was there.

Got it booked in for monday but i fear i shall get the same response as you Gconn

mine sounds similar except it rattles like metal on metal. The rattle is intermittent. At first it bothered me, then I figured Audi service would just screw it up further so now I am used to it. My favorite is the squeaking when I angle up driveways. Audi for some reason turned my H&R coilover springs so the lettering faced the inside. This created a very disturbing squishy sound when I drove over any bump. Now that the issue is fixed, I don't really mind the OTHER sound.

Sorry TCardio, I am not sure I understand. Was the problem with the sunroof resolved or the one with the springs?

I am not willing to accept any unreasonable noise coming from an optional equipment item that cost me an extra 1500 euros...

Johnny, my pal has the same problem in his Q7, Audi can't fix it as they can't hear it! he now has water in the passenger footwell periodically and the two are possibly linked. I would give them the car back until fixed completely or stick to your guns and get a new car under warranty if not satisfied.

My suspension noise is fixed. The opensky noise is still there. THe suspension noise was so bothersome that it makes the opensky noise seem minor. I've taken mine into Audi several times and everytime I laugh when I see the expression on their face i.e. " not another opensky issue?". After they "fix it" , another sound occurs. The problem reminds me of the childhood book "The King, the Mice and the Cheese". Every problem fixed yields another problem. Good luck with Audi. Most noises can be fixed as witnessed by previous threads but this problem seems a little elusive. Just my 0.02

Hey there

Well i took my car to Audi this morning and took one of the techs out, straight away he could hear it and actually hear where it was coming from (above front passengers head, its constant you dont even have to go over any bumps.

He pressed firmly on the area of where the noise was and it seemed to have stopped, he then said it could be inside the lining then said something about body / flex? , anyway i left it with them and they rang at 3.30pm to ask if i could leave it with them overnight as they have checked all the parts of the roof to no avail, they said they need it longer so they can remove the roof lining from the inside and try locate it from where we could hear it.

So i guess this will be going on tomorrow, i dont know what its gonna be or how they will resolve it, maybe it needs a bit of cardboard wedging in? lol , i told them it needs fixing as i drive for a living and will not live with that constantly in my ear, if they say they cant fix it i really dont know what im gonna do - its ridiculous a brand new car like that and its in just after a week for that kind of work.

Will keep you all updated

My suspension noise is fixed. The opensky noise is still there. THe suspension noise was so bothersome that it makes the opensky noise seem minor. I've taken mine into Audi several times and everytime I laugh when I see the expression on their face i.e. " not another opensky issue?". After they "fix it" , another sound occurs. The problem reminds me of the childhood book "The King, the Mice and the Cheese". Every problem fixed yields another problem. Good luck with Audi. Most noises can be fixed as witnessed by previous threads but this problem seems a little elusive. Just my 0.02

Interesting, this seems to be a common problem with the open sky, what did they do to fix the initial noises?

Gconn, regarding the video was that the noise at 18 sec? if so then mine is nothing like that, mine is a creaking sound, sounds just like glass rubbing against plastic or rubber i.e. the seal

Yes, it's the sound you can hear on 18sec. From your description I thought it would be different, that's why I posted the video. So we could be sure. This is quite weird, we all have issues with Open Sky and every single one is different!

Yeah its quite worrying, i get the impression that if they manage to fix my issue then i could easily end up with your issue further down the line and likewise, it might just be something we have to live with, it seems very common from what i have read about the open sky option, you would think Audi would have done something about this by now

He pressed firmly on the area of where the noise was and it seemed to have stopped, he then said it could be inside the lining then said something about body / flex?

John, where exactly did he put pressure? Is it easy to upload a picture of the point or explain it? :) It's weird that we all have different noises but I imagine the root of the issue may well be the same...or not :think:

Update!

Before i go on, the area he pressed on was above the head of the passenger just left of the first section of glass and slightly back i.e. middle - on the fabric / lined area near the middle pillar, cant upload a pic yet as i have no car.....still

Anyway they rang once again today to tell me they have pulled all of the roof lining out from inside the car and found the problem!!! turns out that there are a few clips missing in the area stated above that Audi have forgot to put there whilst it was getting built, they said the noise is from the lining rubbing against the trim?

I asked about the other side and they said all the clips are in place there and that its just been a build fault, so they have ordered these clips which are hopefully coming tomorrow and the problem will get resolved (fingers crossed), so hopefully that will be it - i just hope i dont get your clunking noise Gconn further down the line.

Im a bit ****** off, but there is nothing i can do at least its nothing major

Thanks for the update. I'll post any updates on mine, but that will be after mid January.

Car is at the dealers since Monday morning. I sneaked in today past the reception to see how it's going :lmfao: I shouldn't have done that. Many interior parts were disasembled and I'll have to check carefully for any scratches on the dash when I get it back. Hopefully:
1) I will not have new noises
2) the problem will be solved.

Great, I can't get the image of that guy in my car taking things apart with a screwdriver, I am losing my sleep lol ....:drag:

Well since my last post my roof has been absolutely fine, they put the clips in place that were missing, no noises apart from when ice formed on top until it melted, dont worry they took my whole roof lining out so cant imagine how that looked, they are not stupid when it comes to being careless with screwdrivers etc, they face the consequences if they do!

Keep us updated

Went to the dealer's today to check how things are going. They said they had fixed the sunroof and any other probs I had mentioned. Well, I was impressed. Went out for a spin with the technician, no noises! Then, I had to press the sunroof button. :banghead: The back-flip didn't work...silent moment...They decided to keep the car in for the day and try to fix it again. I just wish the problem is solved once and for all after tomorrow.

P.S. For those having similar problems take the car to your dealers. As far as I was informed, there is a bulletin regarding the panoramic roof JFYI.

Thats s**t mate, i bet your were seriously hacked off, did they say it just needs to be with them for one day? im sure they will fix that for you, its better to get it done straight away.

Where is this bulletin? why is there one?

Thats s**t mate, i bet your were seriously hacked off, did they say it just needs to be with them for one day? im sure they will fix that for you, its better to get it done straight away.

Where is this bulletin? why is there one?

The manager told me a few things about the bulletin, but he told me that he would explain in detail when we came back. Well, I didn't ask for further details after the sunroof didn't work. I'll wait and see what happens today and then ask for details. All I remember about the bulletin adds or replaces a part in the lining beneath the sunroof. This is located in the front part on the passenger side :) this is all I know at the moment.

That sounds exactly like the repair work they did on mine (the clips), it was in the exact same place and they basically said that there were clips missing, they implied that it was just a build fault, but maybe all the open skys are built like that and they are only just realizing its causing problems?

Got the car. Noone came out to give details. Just gave me the key and sent me away. I checked the car inside out, no scratch marks or any other problems. So, for the time being, all is good. Finally :unsure:

Good news!

Shouldnt have any problems now, time to enjoy it!

Hi all

I've just ordered an a3, but my dealer has made an error in the paperwork and so I will need to re-sign the docs next week. I've ordered open sky but this thread has made me apprehensive - now considering removing it from the configuration as a result of these noises! I also have a question for anyone who has a sport - does the glass stretch all the way across the roof (i.e. front to read windscreen)?. In some pictures it looks like there is a painted strip across the roof toward the rear or the system... the website says that the panoramic glass "roof is of glazed appearance all the way from the windscreen to the rear window (http://www.audi.co.uk/new-cars/a3/a3-sportback/exterior-style-features/open-sky-system.html). i'm ordering a sport... wondered if the rear spoiler on the s-line is what makes the glazed appearance stretch the full length of the car?

Looking forward to joining the club!

K

Hi Kshow, I know the strip you mean. I've noticed this as well on the verious models. I used to have a phantom black sportback with sky a while ago ( only had a base model then ) but the strip you mention did not notice But only cos black glass roof merged with black paint etc. Only the Sline models seemed to carry on the black from the sky roof up to the back window over the spoiler. Got another on order now.

Just adding to that above, Audi may now have changed that on newer models but that body colour strip ( where the sharksfin goes ) deffo used to be the case.

I really did fancy the Open Sky for my order for new S3, but to be honest was put off by too much negative press between this forum and a few others. It seems inevitable, with the fact that a rigid portion of glass is installed on a flexing metal shell, that there is always going to be the potential for it to creak and rattle.

However that said, it does really make the car look very special so i wish all of you that do have problems a speedy fix and hopefully no further problems

Well i dont get any noises simce they put the clips in and have done about 3k miles, but the bit about the portion of the roof may be a disappointment, there is 2 sections of glass (quite small), one above the drivers head and one above the back passengers head, the rest is painted, only the section above the drivers head actually opens, ive got to be honest though i ordered the open sky purely based on looks against the ibis white, so nothing else bothers me, and dont regret ordering it at all.

No problems any more for me. I hope :) Everything is fine now.

As expected...I'M BACK:banghead: After a few months I have a new noise. And this one is really irritating because it occurs randomly. The sunroof, on its way up, sometimes catches on some rubber and either makes a nasty noise in the process or it catches and comes back to closed automatically. I am taking it in. If they can't fix it, they shouldn't sell it. I am not being polite this time. I don't really care, they are either fixing it for good or refunding me. I've had enough problems with this car. [/rant]