Fully enclosed carbon fiber intake for TDI?

Jon_w

Reaction score
Does anyone have a fully enclosed CAI for their TDI? other than the cylinder type.

There are loads of different ones out there for the petrol guys, but little selection for the diesels.

I was considering something like the AWE CCB with a few modifications to fit the TDI.

see pics on their website: www.awe-tuning.com/pages/shared/part_detail.cfm?PMaI=1&PMoI=36&PEI=25&PP=a3_20t_drivetrain.cfm&PPT=Drivetrain&IL=20T_CCB_A3

Obviously wouldn't need the whole kit from them, just the filter, box, first pipe section and fixing kit (if the fixings are even in the same place for the TDI).

There seems to be enough space in the engine bay (8p 2.0TDI 140) and that first section of intake hose seems to line up roughly with where the maf would be, just need to add another small connection after the filter for the extra pipe.

Anyone seen any better solutions or comments to this?

The factory air box is the same on the TDI as on the new TSI engines, so those parts should fit straight in - it'll just be the pipe etc. that will be different.

I don`t really see the point in doing this as it will probably workout double the cost ( £100 + )of a CDA airfilter unit which is well provern. Also unless you intend getting a hybrid turbo you will not see any gain over fitting a £40 panel filter.

I know the benefits of fully sealed CAI on a TDI is and has been heavily debated, and isn't really required until the engine is tuned up quite a bit.

It was more the look of this system, that fills the space it is put into, and looks like it was made to be there. You have to admit, it is pretty!

I was considering building my own carbon fibre intake until I saw this one, It would be cheaper to DIY and we have a hydrodynamicist at work who could work out the flow (pretending it was water) to ensure a good design. It would just be much less hassle to get one off the shelf that doesn't need too much adjustment.

Hybrid turbo is on the wishlist, but this years bonus is going on the basics; exhaust, filter, S3 kit etc.

Would love to have a similar system to yours mike, but would be prohibitively expensive to do here. at least on my salary. The car has to be re-registered after performance increases, at the cost of about 100 pounds per HP, so I am hoping that when the filter goes on they will register it as actual gains, 1-1.5HP instead of what it says on the box 10-15. it will only really be used properly, as you say, with the new turbo, which can be re-registered at that time. So it will be small mods for now, until the next bonus, if it ever comes!

If you have to re-register after every mod according to bhp at one hundred per bhp then i would have thought it would be an even better reason to just put in a panel filter and either say nothing or say it`s a replacement item and save you £500-£1000. Up to you though as your car and your money.