Installing a subwoofer

rickyquicky

Reaction score
Has anyone installed an aftermarket subwoofer?

Is it possible whilst retaining the Audi original head unit? (basically can you plug an amplifier into the standard head unit?)

Thanks mate, but whats the benefit with an aftermarket system?

Im trying to keep the car as 'standard' as possible with regards to interior/styling and would prefer standard headunit tbh.

Am i right that there is a subwoofer already in the boot?

Yeah you have a standard 8" woofer in the passenger side of the boot

The becker unit is factory looking and a better unit that the standard audi one - is your standard unit the double din or single din?

Think its double din, its pretty big its an Audi 'Concert' 6 cd changer built-in.

Is there a way to improve the standard subwoofer in the boot then?

I thought only Bose-equipped Audis had subwoofer!:yellowrs4:

I too would be interested in knowing how to install a sub. Only part I'm struggling to think about is where to run the power cable through to the engine bay!

Heres my aftermarket H/U. Won't be to everyone's taste, and I would have prefered an RNS-e but already had this from my old car so making do for now! :) (needs a good dust!)

4171676123_ffa5229c16.jpg

4171676141_e0c7c2e2c3.jpg

I ran my cable under the car along the transmission/exhaust tunnel and came up through the boot.

If you install any form of aftermarket woofer, you will need to amp it and wire it up. You will also need an enclosure so you will have to consider the space that this will take up.

As you can see in my thread above, I had the whole boot taken up. If I do it again, I will be using the existing area where the sub is and get an enclosure custom made to fit.

I ran my cable under the car along the transmission/exhaust tunnel and came up through the boot.

If you install any form of aftermarket woofer, you will need to amp it and wire it up. You will also need an enclosure so you will have to consider the space that this will take up.

As you can see in my thread above, I had the whole boot taken up. If I do it again, I will be using the existing area where the sub is and get an enclosure custom made to fit.

Is that the easiest way to do it? Don't like the idea of having to drill a hole into the boot! (Unless theres already one there?)

My sub takes up about a third of the boot I think, but I only use it to chuck clothes in every now and again so makes no odds really! Im sure that someone could make a custom enclosure that sticks out an inch or two further than standard, but still looks in place and would likely allow a bigger sub in there (wider choice of what to go for). That would be pretty sweet!

You can wire it up through the car but more than likely you will have to drill through the bulk head anyway

If you get a grommet and put some sealant round it, there will be no issues

Is there a way of upgrading the current sub? I.e direct replacement.....

No point as the wires used for the current sub will be of no use if you are going to upgrade. Therefore you would need to rewire the system.

IMO if you change the sub, you will need to change the front speakers and disconnect the rears if you don't plan to change them.

You will then have a bit of difficulty in wiring up to the standard unit so you may have to consider a replacement.

You can get a custom built box in place of where the existing woofer is - if I was doing a system over again, this is what I would be doing with a 8" Focal sub I think.

Running power through the bulkhead is very easy. There's a spare grommet under the windscreen/wiper scuttle:
PowerGrommet.jpg

This drops down into the passenger footwell, down the side of the glovebox, so no need to remove the glovebox. Just use a wire coathanger to fish it through. There's even a spare terminal on the fusebox by the battery, you just need to buy an Audi fuse and away you go:
Fuses.jpg

No point as the wires used for the current sub will be of no use if you are going to upgrade. Therefore you would need to rewire the system.

IMO if you change the sub, you will need to change the front speakers and disconnect the rears if you don't plan to change them.

Why would you have to replace the standard wires if you just done a direct swap for the sub?

Theres no more power going through is there, its just a better speaker, I dont see why you would have to change the wiring? :huh: