USB console

lake_m

Soon to be S3'd up.
Reaction score
Ok another daft audio related question. Been trying to find out a bit more about the Audi USB console. I'm hoping that I'll be able to buy a large USB pen drive of about 32GB and load (just about) all my music onto it. question is... what is the max capacity it can take? I know the 2x SD cards on the RNS-E are limited to approx 2GB each. I also thought the sound quality from the SD cards through the RNS-E was better than my ipod adapter on the previous car - so long as you kept the encoded bit rate above 160kbit/s. The ipod adapter sound 'dull' in comparison probably because the connection was analogue whereas the SD card was straight digital.

Anyway, enough waffle. -- anyone got a USB console and can you give it the thumbs up??:music:

Andy.

You can have up to 4GB SD cards by the way mate.

I'm fairly sure with the USB you're limited to 6 playlists of 99 tracks just like on the iPod.

You can have up to 4GB SD cards by the way mate.

I'm fairly sure with the USB you're limited to 6 playlists of 99 tracks just like on the iPod.

Didn't the SD cards have to be none HC or something? I recall not being able to track any down (plenty of HC 4GB cards around though) and just bought a stack of 2GB.

Yeah you can't use SDHC cards but you can get 4GB non HC cards.

Yeah you can't use SDHC cards but you can get 4GB non HC cards.

:thumbsup:Thanks for that.

Last question honest....and before anyone shouts :rtfm:I don't have one yet !!!!

Can you 'drive' the USB console from the RNS-E or does the retro-fitting of RNS-E render the console 'defunct' ??

Andy

I'm pretty sure the usb console replaces the cd changer, so if you can add a cd changer/ipod to the rns-e then I think it should 'drive' it.
I still need to save up for rns-e :faint:

I don't either :scared2:

hehe you're right - sorry about that :wtf:??

What I meant to say was ....The USB console will operate via the multifunction stering wheel / concert radio in my S3 when delivered. If I do a retro fit of the RNS-E, will it make the USB console obsolete i.e. is there a connection for the USB console into the back of the RNS-E and can the console be operated via the screen? Hope that makes better sense.

Andy

Aha right! No as waqi says the USB console plugs into the same pins as the CD changer so it's controlled in the same way.