Resistor change increasing BHP?

ragsterx

Rear Ender
Reaction score
I had to call out Audi roadside assistance over the wknd after getting my car back from the garage and having a coolant issue after all the techs had finished at lunch.. Anyway, got chatting about remap's etc for my 170BE.. He mentioned you can change a resistor which changes the fuel fead and can increase power by 30BHP???

Ive not heard of this and thought if its true then you guys will have.
He said he put one in his VW transporter work VAN...

Any ideas?

A resistor, where??

There's a mod which replaces the transducer in the accelerator which apparently gives better responses but it's had mixed reviews on here. Some say it's undriveable because the accelerator becomes too sensitive. It makes the car feel more powerful but has no effect on the engine power output.

thats what some basic "tuning boxes" are resistor wrapped in a plastic box which plugs into fuel rail! so i guess it is possible

I wouldn't ever buy one but if someone knew how it could be done by literally wiring it in I'd have a go. I'm interested to see if it affects the throttle input percentage I mentioned in that thread.

I know the box your talking about Staz but I think both Navnayyar & I are talking about the resistor that alters the readings from the MAF or air temp sensor to richen the mixture & so get more power.

Yeah I'm on about the box by the accelerator. I think this guy ragster is on about is probably talking about the same as you guys. Not something I'd want to play about with though.

The resistor mod on the PD engine changes the reading of the fuel temperature to the ECU, making the ECU think that the fuel's really hot and therefore less dense, and so it puts more in to compensate.

Not a great idea really, yes you'll get a (very) crude power increase but extra fuel = extra smoke and higher EGTs.

Heh...

These 'Sprint Booster' things are a waste of money. They're EXACTLY the same as the 'Throttle Cam' trick on an old carburettor/throttle body cable linkage, in that they alter the relationship between foot-on-pedal-position and the angle of the throttle plate. That's all that thing does.

Throttle cams:
http://www.electraeon.com/throttlecam.html
http://www.dietersmotorsports.com/tech/2001/944_throttle_cam.htm
http://www.034motorsport.com/product_info.php?products_id=774

I've been biting my lip since this guy over on 4titude is selling one of those Sprint Booster thingies:
http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothread?id=4656921

I don't really want to just bust his balls, but he's been bumping that thing forever, and sooner or later someone else is going to be suckered into buying it.

The website is FULL of misleading wording which borders on the deceptive. it doesn't increase power one iota... just makes the pedal more 'twitchy'. -If anyone thinks that's a good thing and the 8P pedal is 'sluggish', then with my blessing go and buy one. -But DON'T even DREAM that it's giving you any more 'power' than you can get without it. -It isn't. Plain and simple. -And if you take the time to re-read the company's website bearing that in mind, you can see that they very cleverly avoid ever saying DIRECTLY that it does.... but they use weasel-words which DEFINITELY give you the impression.

Waste. Of. Money.

As for the resistor trick:

Can you do it? -Yes.

You can 'fool' the engine (which is designed to burn fuel as efficiently and cleanly as possible for MANY reasons... corporate fule efficiency standards and tailpipe emission levels being a couple) into 'dumping' a little more fuel in, and running richer, which will realise a little more power. -But not much. Probably not even noticeable on the 'butt-dyno', and a rolling road will only show a microscopic increase...

Good idea? -HELL no.

Running rich... Well, sooty pipes, carbon in the combustion chamber as well as almost certainly accelerating the rate at which the intake manifold and valves soot up (EGR... don't forget that! extra soot coming out means extra soot recirculated)... -So for a barely-perceptible increase in power (NOT all the way across the band, either), you'll most likely get:

Worsened fuel economy
More soot in the exhaust
Increased 'coke' buildup on the inlet valves and intake path

...and don't overlook the fact that after a while, significant intake path buildup will 'choke' the engine's ability to draw in air. -Less air means less fuel getting squirted in, (even WITH the resistor) and less power.

Summary:

Can you 'trick' the dyno to show 7 more horsepower? -Certainly.
Is it a good idea? -HELL no.

Not unless you get your fuel for free, AND you're selling the car in six months.

Keith