Monster MotorsportSky Insurance
    Up the owls!

Status

Aftermarket RNS-E issue

Hi all,

My car has recently been in for a service and they picked up a bunch of errors which the dealer would like to have a look at.

I believe these errors relate to the aftermarket install. These were an amp ariel fault (I have Bose) and a ground fault. I think maybe its a cabling pin position issue from what I have heard in the past?

It is booked in for the day next week, and they havent mentioned anything about the costs involved, so i'm guessing it is being done under warranty. Now obviously the RNS-E being aftermarket, it wont be covered assuming they check that its not part of the original spec.

So my question is. Do I let them take a look at it and see what they come up with in terms of the fix, or any costs - or do I avoid it like the plague?

Does anyone know what these errors are, how important they are and how they are fixed?

Thanks
    March 2011 - B8 Audi S4, Ibis White, S-Tronic, Leather / Alcantera Super Sports Seats, Heated Front Seats, Advanced Key, Tech Pack High, Electrically folding and auto dimming mirrors

SOLD - 8P Audi S3. Brilliant Black, FBMF wheel, Bose, RNS-E, Auto lights/wipers, Cruise control, Tyre pressure monitor, Parking sensors, Interior light pack, GSM phone prep, Armrest, Privacy glass, Electrically folding mirrors.

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    If you have retro fitted the RNS-e I think you are taking a risk getting Audi to look at it when you probably know whats wrong with it. It could cost you an hours labour to say the least.

Do you have VDS and if so why not post a copy of your scan, you could just have the normal two errors associated with the retrofit.

Either way, if its not coded property and/or the ground short exists you'll have to pay to put it right.

Without seeing a scan of your car its difficult to suggest whats wrong. The RNS-e will normally fit without too many problems (other than the ground short) which many people have and live with. You might just get some weak radio reception in certain areas. Thats all hat was wrong with mine.

I PX'd my car with these two grounding faults and I've seen the salesman several times afterwards and he even said the car had passed its audi check before being put on sale.
    Last edited by pns2007; 4th December 2009 at 19:09.
    2013 A5 2.0 TDI (177) Black Edition

[s]2012 A1 1.4TFSI (185ps) Black Edition[s]

[s]MY2010 A4 1.8T (160) S-Line executive in brilliant Red[/s]

[s]2008 A3 TDI S-Line Cabriolet 8P3[/s]

A4 (B8) Door warning light and Glovebox retrofits. A1 Heated Mirrors Retrofit

6th Gear

Status
    I agree, one will be the zf ground error that occurs with most retro fits as there is only one amp in the tailgate for the arial. JohnS3 posted a thread on how to correct it a while back.
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

is a retronaut

Status
    Yeah I'd get the errors checked by someone on here with VCDS first mate. If it's those two faults that are normal on an RNS-E retrofit then you'd be wasting money. They're actually the same fault but it's logged in the Nav and the Radio sections.

I'll should be in Northants next weekend if you want me to have a look.
    8P2 S3

For advice on Air Con problems please read my FAQs.
    To find ASN members with VCDS check out the MAP.

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by consilio View Post
    These were an amp ariel fault (I have Bose) and a ground fault. I think maybe its a cabling pin position issue from what I have heard in the past?
    Ariel isnt Bose related so forget that, antenna update will fix this but unless already peeved about radio signals then leave as is mate, as already advised dont bother with audi as they will see from the spec list wasnt factory & you'll get a nice hour or more charge on top without a fix from them anyway, so cancel the visit if I was you & if annoys you so much then need few hundred to rectify properly.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

1st Gear

Status
    At my last service, the technician noticed an "error with the radio" (retro-fit RNSE) and apparently plugged the car in to Germany to try and fix it but obviously couldn't. (My VCDS scan just shows the usual ZF Short to Ground problem).

When they told me this, I told them not to worry about it as the error was due to a non-factory fit unit. Despite my refusal, they are still insisting that they will fix the problem under warranty and are leaving a 'ticket open'.

I am fed-up of putting them off and I am just not returing their calls and texts. Although I wonder what will happen at the next service.....
    Present - 8V S3 3 Door S3 S-Tronic. Estoril Blue, LED Headlights, Super Sports Seats, Technology Pack, Folding & Dimming Mirrors, Interior Light Pack, Bang & Olufsen, Comfort Pack with Cruise Control & Rear Parking Sensors, Reversible Boot Liner, Tyre Pressure Monitor, Non Smoking Pack, Hold Assist

Past "Highlights" - 2008 S3 (8P2), 2004 Alfa 147GTa, 1999 Fiat Coupe 20v Turbo LE, 1994 Astra GSi 16v

NHN
    Modmetractor

Status
    Just tell them it was a retrofit nav & its not a fault, just the antenna system needs changing, they will probably look dumb & know sweet fa what you're talking about, but just ask them to remove the ticket from there systems or mark as resolved then they shouldnt bother you anymore.

OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

Up the owls!

Status
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll give them a call and cancel the visit as I think its just the errors generated as a result of the retro-fit. I dont ever notice poor radio reception so its not causing me any problems.

March 2011 - B8 Audi S4, Ibis White, S-Tronic, Leather / Alcantera Super Sports Seats, Heated Front Seats, Advanced Key, Tech Pack High, Electrically folding and auto dimming mirrors

SOLD - 8P Audi S3. Brilliant Black, FBMF wheel, Bose, RNS-E, Auto lights/wipers, Cruise control, Tyre pressure monitor, Parking sensors, Interior light pack, GSM phone prep, Armrest, Privacy glass, Electrically folding mirrors.