AH FabricationsChris Nott
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    clem2192's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sutton, Surrey
    Posts
    173

    Trouble changing from 1st to 2nd & 3rd to 2nd

    Guys/Gals,

    This is my first post after recently joining up.....
    I have recently changed from a MK4 Golf 1.8T to an A3 3.2 Quattro (will put pics up at some point)

    The trouble I am having is when changing up from 1st to 2nd or changing down from 3rd to 2nd I get a horrible jerk!!

    I am not sure if this is a common problem or whether I just need to learn to drive again . I have never experienced this problem with any other car I have owned.

    Nice One!

    Ryan

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Global
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    stealth64's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    West Mids
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by clem2192 View Post
    Guys/Gals,

    This is my first post after recently joining up.....
    I have recently changed from a MK4 Golf 1.8T to an A3 3.2 Quattro (will put pics up at some point)

    The trouble I am having is when changing up from 1st to 2nd or changing down from 3rd to 2nd I get a horrible jerk!!

    I am not sure if this is a common problem or whether I just need to learn to drive again . I have never experienced this problem with any other car I have owned.

    Nice One!

    Ryan
    Not an expert at all on this, but had a problem with my previous car with just one of my gears, it turned out needed a new gear syncro fitting (or however you spell it!), not a massive job and even better if you have some warranty on the car!

    Ride: 520d M Sport Cobolt Black, 19" Spyders

    Previous rides:
    2.0T Quattro S-Line
    Lava Grey - Sportback

  4. #3
    edition's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    1,417
    They are very difficult to drive smoothly. I think that this is a mix of there being quite alot of torque, being low geared and a small car.

    Hard to tell if yours is normal or somthings up without driving one back to back! Engine mounts could be shot...

  5. #4
    Khufu's Avatar
    6th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    West coast of Scotland
    Posts
    5,693
    isn't most of the VAG range a bit funny between 1s and 2nd?
    2003-2008 1998 Red A3 8L 1.8 Sport
    2008 -> 2003 Akoya Silver A3 8P1 2.0 FSi Sport

  6. #5
    Neutral

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    95
    not knowing that much about the 3.2 models generally a crunch between gears is either clutch or gearbox related. When changing into 2nd make sure the clutch is fully depressed...if this is the case and the crunch is still there then it sounds like the previous owner has done a lot of quick starts and possibly damaged the Synchro on 2nd gear which mean a rebuild of the gearbox and replacement part.

    Depending on how complex it is to get the gearbox out then the cost can be anywhere up to 500 on non specialist cars...food for thought!
    Collected 14 July - 2009 MY10 A3 1.9TDIe Sport 3dr in Brilliant Black
    Factory options: Cruise Control, Debadged, Chrome Exhaust tips
    Mods: CC Tuning remap.

  7. #6
    stealth64's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    West Mids
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by smbAudi View Post
    not knowing that much about the 3.2 models generally a crunch between gears is either clutch or gearbox related. When changing into 2nd make sure the clutch is fully depressed...if this is the case and the crunch is still there then it sounds like the previous owner has done a lot of quick starts and possibly damaged the Synchro on 2nd gear which mean a rebuild of the gearbox and replacement part.

    Depending on how complex it is to get the gearbox out then the cost can be anywhere up to 500 on non specialist cars...food for thought!
    Nah that can be right. I had at least 2 syncros replaced on my Civic Type R and never needed the gearbox rebuilt and car was fine afterwards!

    Ride: 520d M Sport Cobolt Black, 19" Spyders

    Previous rides:
    2.0T Quattro S-Line
    Lava Grey - Sportback

  8. #7
    clem2192's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sutton, Surrey
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by edition View Post
    They are very difficult to drive smoothly. I think that this is a mix of there being quite alot of torque, being low geared and a small car.

    Hard to tell if yours is normal or somthings up without driving one back to back! Engine mounts could be shot...
    This sounds like the problem more than a gear syncro problem as there is no clunking etc.....

    Maybe I just need to learn how to drive it smoothly

  9. #8
    mac1403's Avatar
    5th Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    wales uk
    Posts
    956
    Have found the same thing with mine. 1st to 2nd is near impossible to be smooth in. Although I have noticed that instead of using first gear just to get moving try waiting to about 4k rpm before changing, this seems to make things a little smoother.
    Facelift S3, Sprint Blue, Bucket seats, Sunroof, Sat Nav, Bose, Elect Mirrors, Light and Rain, Interior Light pack, Flat Tyre Warning, GSM Phone Prep, Led upgrade, Illuminated speaker grills.

  10. #9
    clem2192's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Sutton, Surrey
    Posts
    173
    Quote Originally Posted by mac1403 View Post
    Have found the same thing with mine. 1st to 2nd is near impossible to be smooth in. Although I have noticed that instead of using first gear just to get moving try waiting to about 4k rpm before changing, this seems to make things a little smoother.

    Thanks will give that a go.....guess its just a case of suck and see!

  11. #10
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    234
    I find it difficult to get into 2nd in the morning before it gets into working temp, but I get no noise. I think it's the gear box oil and I'll be changing it soon to see what effect that will have. HTH

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO