Volks AutosAH Fabrications
Results 1 to 17 of 17
  1. #1
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    29

    What does the CD-Rom Sat Nav look like?

    Hello,

    I'm looking at options for an A3 TDI Sport and I've noticed there are 2 different types of Sat Nav available. One is the DVD-based option and the other is titled "Audi Satellite Navigation System Cd-rom Based"

    There is a big difference in price so I am interested to know what the CD-Rom version looks like (I already know what the DVD version looks like). I've had a search on the Audi website and on Google but can't seem to find any photos.

    Can anyone help me?

    Thanks

  2. # ADS
    ADS
    Join Date
    Always
    Posts
    Many
     
  3. #2
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    27,099
    Welcome to the site.

    Dont even bother with cdrom version mate, its nowhere near as good & the rns-e the higher end offers much better systems for sd cards mp3 usage, 3d mapping on colour screen, possible much better integrated bluetooth with other components, its just a much better unit & well worth the price if done aftermarket route of course.


    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  4. #3
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    29
    Thanks alot for your help NHN, that does look a bit rubbish...

    How much do you reckon I would be looking at for one of these RNS-E systems? (excuse my ignorance, I've only ever dealt with TomToms!)

  5. #4
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    27,099
    Actually that pic maybe of the newer version of cheaper nav, the cdrom version in the older 8P A3 wasnt even anywhere near as that even lol & worked via a crappy joystick near where the 12v socket is, also think only used the cluster display, stand to be corrected, but trust me, rns-e is the way forward.

    Depends on the year of units tbh, but between 5-600, but compare this to 2k from audi & you see the deal is worth it.

    Where abouts are you in the country as I know some installers aswell as myself who can help with things.
    Last edited by NHN; 2nd December 2009 at 13:46.

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  6. #5
    stealth64's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    West Mids
    Posts
    233
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Welcome to the site.

    Dont even bother with cdrom version mate, its nowhere near as good & the rns-e the higher end offers much better systems for sd cards mp3 usage, 3d mapping on colour screen, possible much better integrated bluetooth with other components, its just a much better unit & well worth the price if done aftermarket route of course.


    Bet you wish you remembered to take that R Kelly cd out before you took a pic of your head unit ah NHN??? lol!


    i'll get my coat!

    Ride: 520d M Sport Cobolt Black, 19" Spyders

    Previous rides:
    2.0T Quattro S-Line
    Lava Grey - Sportback

  7. #6
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    27,099
    lmfao, mate if I had that unit I'd be getting my coat, wardrobe, shoes etc & leaving the country.

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  8. #7
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Actually that pic maybe of the newer version of cheaper nav, the cdrom version in the older 8P A3 wasnt even anywhere near as that even lol & worked via a crappy joystick near where the 12v socket is, also think only used the cluster display, stand to be corrected, but trust me, rns-e is the way forward.

    Depends on the year of units tbh, but between 5-600, but compare this to 2k from audi & you see the deal is worth it.

    Where abouts are you in the country as I know some installers aswell as myself who can help with things.
    Well this car will be brand new (2010) so I'm assuming it would have that newer model. But for 5-600 I might aswell get this RSN-E unit.

    I'm based in South East London, but can travel most places in and around around the M25. Thanks for your help

  9. #8
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    27,099
    Ah so have you ordered the sat nav with it or not?

    TBH check the price of the rns-e with the MY10 car as its better than current models, can you check & change your order or to late now?

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  10. #9
    stealth64's Avatar
    1st Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    West Mids
    Posts
    233
    think there is a RNSE unit with crome buttons for sale in the classifieds!

    if not i think you can buy from VAG Specialists for 600ish

    Ride: 520d M Sport Cobolt Black, 19" Spyders

    Previous rides:
    2.0T Quattro S-Line
    Lava Grey - Sportback

  11. #10
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    27,099
    Ye but even I will admit maybe if its MY10 car new he should spec it if he can stretch that far, ami, higher res, sd 32GB etc etc, I would if sds would work & the damn vim then would be ok, but unless you buy an sds unit then pass.

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  12. #11
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by NHN View Post
    Ah so have you ordered the sat nav with it or not?

    TBH check the price of the rns-e with the MY10 car as its better than current models, can you check & change your order or to late now?
    Yeah, I ordered the sat-nav with the car - but I haven't signed the agreement yet so can always change an option on the order.

    Sorry, what is a MY10?

  13. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by mrviews View Post
    Yeah, I ordered the sat-nav with the car - but I haven't signed the agreement yet so can always change an option on the order.

    Sorry, what is a MY10?
    MY10 just means Model Year 2010 which with Audi means from July 2009 to June 2010.

    Am I right in thinking that the Audi Sat Nav system still cannot use the UK postcode system or give you any idea of the location of speed cameras.
    Dave R (h5djr)
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A3 8V 2.0 TDI-184 Sportback Sport s-tronic quattro - Silver + lots of options - my 9th A3

  14. #13
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    27,099
    Think that maybe true Dave, havnt seen any mention any different as it would be a revolution if thats the case huh.

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

  15. #14
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by h5djr View Post
    MY10 just means Model Year 2010 which with Audi means from July 2009 to June 2010.

    Am I right in thinking that the Audi Sat Nav system still cannot use the UK postcode system or give you any idea of the location of speed cameras.
    Are you having me on??!!! the Sat-Nav can't use a postcode system??? looks like I'm getting that pile of s&^% taken off my order!

    Thanks for the advice and help.

  16. #15
    jb0o's Avatar
    North East Forum Moderator

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    North East, UK
    Posts
    2,609
    Theres talk of a RNS-E group buy for under 500 a piece, although that wont be for the MY10 version.

    Heres the link if interested: RNS-E A3 FOR 420 ??
    Last edited by jb0o; 7th December 2009 at 10:17.

    Website | Facebook | Audi TT 2.0TDI 170 Quattro


  17. #16
    8utters's Avatar
    Reverse Gear

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Littleborough, Lancashire
    Posts
    24
    Certainy on my 07 S3 with the RNS-E (DVD Sat Nav) you get postcodes, though not the full 7 digits. It's not amazing, but it's good enough. You get to enter the first part, for example "OL15 9", then choose the street name from the list of street names in that postal district.

  18. #17
    NHN
    NHN's Avatar
    Modmetractor

    Status
    Offline
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Coding Something
    Posts
    27,099
    Quote Originally Posted by mrviews View Post
    Are you having me on??!!! the Sat-Nav can't use a postcode system??? looks like I'm getting that pile of s&^% taken off my order!
    It does have postcode usage, its not maybe as quick to key in as some but you can search with post codes.

    Quote Originally Posted by 8utters View Post
    Certainy on my 07 S3 with the RNS-E (DVD Sat Nav) you get postcodes, though not the full 7 digits. It's not amazing, but it's good enough. You get to enter the first part, for example "OL15 9", then choose the street name from the list of street names in that postal district.
    Yeap exactly, not exactly a ball breaker to use, but works just the same, got me to italy no problem.

    OEM RETROFITS - CRUISE CONTROL - SAT NAV - BLUETOOTH - AMI - HEADLIGHT SYSTEMS

    PARKING SYSTEMS - DIAGNOSTICS - FAULT FINDING - BODYWORK - PAINTWORK

 

 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO

Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO