Aftermarket wheels and suspension (Audi A3 mainly but all advice/experience welcome)

Dec

Reaction score
Hey guys.

So on my last two car's (both Golf's, one mk2 and a mk3) I had different wheels and suspension, but I was wondering if anyone had had any problems on an Audi with changing them from standard?

Not sure how strong all the other parts of the car are, as my last golf I had to have things like bushes, wishbones and ball joints replaced due to the harsher ride, so im a bit worried about parts related to handling/suspension being damaged as im sure these parts are a lot more costly than on my 1995 golf!

My car is a 2004 A3 2.0 tdi, and was just wondering if anyone had any info on how likely I am to damage stuff by changing the suspension.

Also, if I put 8" wide front wheels, and 9" rear wheels on, would that cause any problems? (my last car had 7.5" fronts and 9" rears so i am unsure if the problems were related)

Mods, please move this to the A3 8p section if it is irrelevant for this section.

Thanks in advance,

Dec

If you have ESP you shouldn't run different width rims. I that helps........

you need N8 to spot this thread, He's our chief wheel man :yes:

Last edited:
My last golf I had to have things like bushes, wishbones and ball joints replaced due to the harsher ride, so im a bit worried about parts related to handling/suspension being damaged as im sure these parts are a lot more costly than on my 1995 golf!

Hi Dec,

Welcome to the forum. Everything had to be replaced on the golf cuz it was made of saltwater :laugh: You'll be fine with the Audi it is very strong. I was running 9"s before and it was sweet as a nut.

N8

Thanks Guys :)

Hi Dec,

Welcome to the forum. Everything had to be replaced on the golf cuz it was made of saltwater :laugh: You'll be fine with the Audi it is very strong. I was running 9"s before and it was sweet as a nut.

N8

Haha love the saltwater comment. I would be screwed if it was something french then!

So if im running fairly low with wide wheels it isnt likely to cause any serious damage too soon? Can't keep repairing cars as im trying to move out! :)

Haha love the saltwater comment. I would be screwed if it was something french then!

It's true! :ninja: I've had a 172 lowered, and it was the worst ride I've ever known, it was a great car for my age and the time etc, but BUILD QUALITY doesn't exsist when you go french :laugh:

You'll be fine with the A3, what rims you thinking of goin? :wub:

N8

It's true! :ninja: I've had a 172 lowered, and it was the worst ride I've ever known, it was a great car for my age and the time etc, but BUILD QUALITY doesn't exsist when you go french :laugh:

You'll be fine with the A3, what rims you thinking of goin? :wub:

N8

Ah right lol one of my mates put a 172 engine in a 1.2 clio because it was cheaper for him to change the engine than buy a 172 (he had already track prepared it just waited for his insurance to drop) and that flies but the quality is pretty pants! Thankfully I have only ever been german, started with a mk2 golf, then mk3, then got the Audi :) Haven't been driving 2 years yet so the insurance is pretty pricey but I may aswell do it before I have responsibilities!

Thanks for the reasurance buddy. One last quick question.. on mk4 and mk5 Golfs, the anti-roll bars hit the driveshafts if you go lower than 40mm, is that an issue on Audi's at all?

Wheel choice isn't 100% yet, and I probably won't decide until I have the money sitting and waiting, but it will either be a newer shape OEM wheel, or BBS LM's. Edging more towards the BBS's as they aren't OEM and a bit different to regular drivers, but then again OEM would look better than it is now while remaining subtle with just a slight drop!

Helioson.jpg

13082009001.jpg

Mine is on the lowest setting on my KWs, so its lowered 65mm all round......no problems whatsoever with driveshafts etc... :hi:

I only have a few other mods in mind at the moment. Currently it is a pretty much standard SE, bar putting my own head unit in it from my last car (although I wish I had just come straight to an A3 and put the RNS-E in!) And I have temporarily bodged my interior trim. (I am neither proud or happy with what I have done, but I haven't been able to source the aluminium trim to replace the wood yet.)

Anyway, plans are..

- Re-wire rear speakers, wire head unit to an ignition live and wire in my sub from previous car.
- Remap
- Coilovers
- Wheels (as above post)
- New rear bumper (paint on the one I have is pants and there are dig marks in the plastic where someone has put stuff in/out of the boot in the past)
- 09 rear lights

Then possibly longer term things such as adding the newer S-line front end but that will be a way off yet.

Car is quite high mileage. Brought it on 72k about 2 months ago and it is now on just over 76500 so got the cambelt/waterpump/service booked for next friday. As with all cars, the front end is getting pretty chipped so maybe get that sprayed if I don't decide to change the front end. (Not keen on the idea of a bonnet bra due to scratching where it moves about).

DSCN0676-1.jpg

DSCN0678-1.jpg

Image003-1.jpg

8419_1245965103707_1066780779_30754456_3632901_n.jpg

Last edited:
Nice car mate,steering wheels arent expensive on e-bay but the airbag is but no doubt you will be able to fall on a bargain if you keep your eyes peeled,as for the trims have you seen the aluminium looking vynal? there is decent one on e-bay and peoples i have seen who have done it looks smart if only as a temp or maybe get them sprayed a different colour at a paint shop just to be different,if i didnt get the aluminium looking ones i was going to paint them anthracite or some other one off colour i could knock up.The later front end parts ie one piece grille parts are pretty much easy to get at the right money now plus with it been black shouldnt be that bad with colour match either